Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2018 9:50:19 AM EDT
According to Chief Rice, no guns will be allowed in the stadium (including off-duty LEO). Still trying to find out if people will be turned away or told to take it to their car or if they'll be arrested.

I suspect that this will end up in court after someone with an enhanced permit files a complaint with the AG.  It will be interesting to see if the "sensitive areas" opinion is upheld when it comes to something like a public event held on campus property. I'm sure that the person who challenges this will be vilified as some sort of gun nut extremist by the "2A-But" crowd.

Either way, the legislature is likely to bend to the will of the SEC before it is all said and done because of the potential loss of revenue. If the legislature doesn't bend, then I look for the schools and SEC to get creative with some sort of private entity leasing arrangement.

Edit: IC holders will be told to put the gun in their car, then they can come in.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Alcohol, outside food, & soft drink detector.

Safety is the excuse.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I wish somebody would challenge it and win, that would shut up Supertalks J.T. whose head explodes whenever this subject comes up.

His mantra is that if you buy a ticket, you're agreeing to whatever the "policy" of the venue might be. I disagree.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Atty Reed Martz will be on the JT show Monday at 10am to talk about the metal detectors. Reed has worked on several gun cases for MS Carry.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 6:12:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Atty Reed Martz will be on the JT show Monday at 10am to talk about the metal detectors. Reed has worked on several gun cases for MS Carry.
View Quote

Reed is number two on my "OH SHIT!" speed dial list right behind..well..you know.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wish somebody would challenge it and win, that would shut up Supertalks J.T. whose head explodes whenever this subject comes up.

His mantra is that if you buy a ticket, you're agreeing to whatever the "policy" of the venue might be. I disagree.
View Quote
I disagree, too. DWS is Public Property. That is the State of Mississippi;  they are creating law.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Right now is a tough time to try to get AG Hood to address it. He's running for Gov so he'd likely side with the schools to preserve the 2A-but vote and get support from his left base. At that point it is mostly done and the legislature doesn't have to deal with it and risk pissing off half the state.

It will probably take a lawsuit to get things moving, but everything I have  heard indicates that the legislature will fold on this issue like Arkansas did.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the sad fact of reality is that the population of Mississippi really doesn't support the 2ndA all that much, especially in LE circles. The good news is that the supporters are vocal and actually show up to vote unlike most of the state. Hell, Jackson couldn't even get a few thousand people to vote against a tax increase.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like Rick Ward is going to take this on.

He has a funding page started to raise some money for it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Replay of Reed on Supertalk. JT gonna JT.

http://www.supertalk.fm/audio-archives/j-t-archives/?recording_id=27842
View Quote
JT:blah blah blah fudd opinion fudd opinion

Lawyer:No, the law literally says this.

JT: but fudd opinion fudd opinion, guns are scary. I support 2nd amendment but...
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#11]
In line 1.5 hours before kickoff. Lots of pissed off people that missed the pregame stuff. Metal detector quit working at my gate so they were wanding everyone. Wand wasn't even on.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In line 1.5 hours before kickoff. Lots of pissed off people that missed the pregame stuff. Metal detector quit working at my gate so they were wanding everyone. Wand wasn't even on.
View Quote
Security theater.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Alcohol, outside food, & soft drink detector.

Safety is the excuse.
View Quote
Exactly.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
So were we.  Then, when you get in, there's no where to sit and wait if you are on the east side, unless you want to go bake in the sun in your seats.  Staying home is looking much better every year, and I'm local.  I can't imagine driving 2+ hours for it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:07:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

JT:blah blah blah fudd opinion fudd opinion

Lawyer:No, the law literally says this.

JT: but fudd opinion fudd opinion, guns are scary. I support 2nd amendment but...
View Quote

I generally like JT but he's just so wrong on this issue.  I get his point about the SEC not letting Ole Miss/State have home games because of this issue, but the law is the law.  Its the same thing as the 2A hating sheriffs who did and end run and had the judges redefine what a court room was.  The dictionary now has no meaning.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I generally like JT but he's just so wrong on this issue.  I get his point about the SEC not letting Ole Miss/State have home games because of this issue, but the law is the law.  Its the same thing as the 2A hating sheriffs who did and end run and had the judges redefine what a court room was.  The dictionary now has no meaning.
View Quote
He is a big government conservative. It really came out during Thad's affair and cover up followed by him jumping in bed with the Democrats to buy the low income vote. JT likes going to the same parties I used to go to, but he doesn't want to be the asshole libertarian with the right family connections to be invited anyway. I relished it. It is the same toxic ersatz  conservative values that plague Northeast Jackson and Oxford.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I haven't seen one person on social media complaining about it. Got my MSU gameday survey today and blasted it. Sent message to Bulldog club Sunday, and left Chief Rice a message.
Feels like this is a losing battle on the grass roots front. I'm not opposed to taking it on, but it will likely backfire.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 12:40:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I haven't seen one person on social media complaining about it. Got my MSU gameday survey today and blasted it. Sent message to Bulldog club Sunday, and left Chief Rice a message.
Feels like this is a losing battle on the grass roots front. I'm not opposed to taking it on, but it will likely backfire.
View Quote
I couldn't get many people on the school pistol team to support concealed carry on campus for students over 21. Go figure. Most people are followers, and almost all of the people they perceive as leaders are not supportive of concealed carry on educational property.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top