Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2020 9:15:58 PM EDT
We had all of our emergency water shut offs replaced in 2018.

Today is the first time I needed to use one and the knob twisted off resulting in spraying water and panicky high pitched screams.

You know the type.

Anyways, any recommends on full house systems to soften our water? Most I'm seeing are under the sink drinking water systems. Not sure what to Google to find what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged for interest.

Water in Tucson is equally garbage.  I have a Culligan water softener that has never truly worked so I'm considering an RO system.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Ro for a whole house would be very costly. Typically with ro systems there is a 4:1 ratio of waste to clean filtered water. So for every gallon of clean water, 4 gallons goes down the drain. Now a commercial or very large system might be better on those ratios but still a lot of waste.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ro for a whole house would be very costly. Typically with ro systems there is a 4:1 ratio of waste to clean filtered water. So for every gallon of clean water, 4 gallons goes down the drain. Now a commercial or very large system might be better on those ratios but still a lot of waste.
View Quote
4:1! Holy moly.

I'm just tired of every freaking time I have to shut off water I have to replace plumbing.

In the words of President Trump, " it's bullshit."

After about a year everything that emits water is all calcified and grody. We bought a new fridge and I told my wife to get one with no water hookups because I knew it would be fuxxored in a matter of months.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Look at a salt based water softener.  A whole house RO is going to be very expensive.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Salt based softener and multi stage sediment/charcoal filtration will drastically improve your tap water.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Soft water loop is what you seek. Although pricey if your house is not already plumbed for it
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We had all of our emergency water shut offs replaced in 2018.

Today is the first time I needed to use one and the knob twisted off resulting in spraying water and panicky high pitched screams.

You know the type.

Anyways, any recommends on full house systems to soften our water? Most I'm seeing are under the sink drinking water systems. Not sure what to Google to find what I'm looking for.
View Quote
Was it a nylon gate valve or a 1/4 turn brass ball valve that broke?

Edit - I’m guessing it was a toilet or sink shut off?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

4:1! Holy moly.

I'm just tired of every freaking time I have to shut off water I have to replace plumbing.

View Quote
Stop installing shitty gate valves and use 1/4-turn ball valves.

I have ball valves that are decades old and work just fine,  gate valves die in about 2 years.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:10:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Was it a nylon gate valve or a 1/4 turn brass ball valve that broke?

Edit - I’m guessing it was a toilet or sink shut off?
View Quote
Yeah the sink shut off.  Turned it from 1w o'clock to 3 and boink...squirty fun time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Stop installing shitty gate valves and use 1/4-turn ball valves.

I have ball valves that are decades old and work just fine,  gate valves die in about 2 years.
View Quote
Not installing shitty gate valves will keep my shower heads, faucets, water spigots, etc from calcification?

Good to know
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 2:20:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not installing shitty gate valves will keep my shower heads, faucets, water spigots, etc from calcification?

Good to know
View Quote
Yes. Ball valves just work better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top