Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/4/2021 9:45:06 PM EDT
Drove 90 minutes to visit the store. Needed to show a FOID upon entry (Why?). My FOID is expired, it’s been “Under Review” in the renewal process since April of 2020. They wouldn’t let me in with an expired card. They refused to let me log into my account to show them that it’s in renewal process. They said I have to give them a printed copy of the renewal confirmation page. Nowhere is that indicated on their website. They refused to allow me to use their printer to print it. Remember, I drove 90 minutes to visit these idiots. They couldn’t allow me 20 seconds to print it if they really need it that bad? This is how they treat a customer. And I was there to buy a fucking Vortex Razor. And told them so as that was the first thing they asked, Anyone supporting these pieces of shit, YOU are the problem.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Which Razor were you looking for? GAT had a Gen II-E 1-6 and Gen III 1-10 plus I think at least one other when I was there on Saturday.

ETA- Thanks for posting as you had answered a question I had wanted to know regarding their policy on FOIDs that are not matching or expired.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Gen II E 1-6. If Gat has the 1-10, I guess I’ll be making a trip there in the next few days. Might as well look through both before purchasing. Thanks man.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, mega is a bunch of aholes.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The owner doesn't seem to be around on the floor much anymore.  He used to be around years ago when it was just a little strip mall store down at Lilly Cache Plaza 20 years ago or whatever.  Frankly he was kind of a douche bag back then too.  

Apparently it has rubbed off on the corporate culture.  He does have a few good employees that I enjoy talking to once in a while, but overall a very douchey vibe in that place.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Still the FOID to enter nonsense?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even a fucking FOID wasn’t good enough to enter their store.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

They had a line at the door if you want a sales person and they just check your foid if you so not need a sales person.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:18:18 AM EDT
[#8]
About 2 months ago I did the same drive. I was carrying and told them I had my CCL ... "Nope, you need a FOID" ... huh? ... "Your CCL can be good if your FOID is expired" ... um, no, I'm one of the people who got screwed when I picked up my CCL that they issued a new FOID with same expiration and now my FOID is only good for 5 years ... "They don't do that"... um, yes they do. I'm just here to see if a specific handgun feels good. If you require, I'll come back with FOID and $3k plus tax to start paperwork ... "No" ... you did hear me say I will buy a $3k handgun then drive back again after the ATF prima nocta but I want to fondle it first, right? ... "Nope"

Never. Going. Back.

ETA: I'm almost the opposite of a hood rat, so no good reason to deny me
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Haven't gone to that place in years even though they are close by. They have burned many bridges I really am surprised they expanded and have stayed in business for this long.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:15:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I walked in after they did their big addition.  Two steps in I hear "Need to see your foid"

Why?  I haven't purchased anything

You have to have an foid to be in the store.

So I showed him my foid and walked out, haven't been back since.  I will never patronize them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:20:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I stopped going there after an old guy was eye balling me and my brother like we were thieves. I’ve never felt so uncomfortable. They do have alot of stock but its just not worth it. The last time I was there was when the m&p shields had just come out and they were no where to be seen. Mega had a bunch and I bought one there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#12]
They've been that way for about 30yrs now.

Douchey, not the foid thing, that has been during panic buying times as they get swamped.

I only go there to test fit a gun to make sure I like the actual feel of it.

I buy elsewhere as the assholes there will not get one cent from me.

ETA; They sell  EVERYTHING for MSRP, even the used guns are WAY overpriced.

Do yourself a favor and spend your hard earned money somewhere else.

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Douchey, not the foid thing, that has been during panic buying times as they get swamped.

View Quote

+87 to all of this

I went to fondle a Wilson and only planned to buy from Mega due to FOID expiry (FK YOU IL)
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

All of this.

Fuck Mega Sports.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Mega has a great selection, nice range but their prices fucking suck.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:21:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Mega has a great selection, nice range but their prices fucking suck.
View Quote
Service sucks too.

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Been shopping there for years; always get polite service.

Gun prices are 'OK' when you consider that you can handle and compare nearly anything in one place; that's got a cost, and comparing them to a transfer from Bud's is simply unrealistic.

I do know they were heavily targeted by various anti-gun groups because of their size/volume, and that has prompted some seemingly draconian policies; it's trying to thwart 'gotcha' attempts from those folks.

Larry
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Last time I went in was in 2013, have no intentions of ever returning.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Been shopping there for years; always get polite service.

Gun prices are 'OK' when you consider that you can handle and compare nearly anything in one place; that's got a cost, and comparing them to a transfer from Bud's is simply unrealistic.

I do know they were heavily targeted by various anti-gun groups because of their size/volume, and that has prompted some seemingly draconian policies; it's trying to thwart 'gotcha' attempts from those folks.

Larry
View Quote

Pure. & Utter. Nonsense.

FOID is required to purchase. Not enter. Not admire. Not fondle.

Gun stores enjoy ATF-enforced monopoly, and frequently treat their customers as an inconvenient necessity. Again frequently, this yields spineless sallys who hide behind 'it's not my fault' ... ah, I miss the days of men
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I'm not a 'man', I guess-but thanks for checking. Hey, while you're down there....

Anyway, I've been treated politely, like their range, and have gotten some good deals on firearms. As far as showing the FOID to enter, that only started when COVID hit, and they decided to limit the number of folks in the showroom; didn't want looky-loo's (or folks with expired FOID's...hint) taking up spaces that actual customers could use.

And the last time I went, there was a line halfway around the building, so a large number of people continue to patronize them, in spite of the opinions expressed here.

Larry
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#21]
People still shop at Mega? The "FOID to enter" thing came about around Sandy Hook.

I haven't been in there in 10 years. Asshole owner is a former cop with a stick up his ass. Built himself a wack shack in the back with a bunch of screens/CCTVs. Sale's staff have to call back on their walkies for every gun sale for him to review because he thinks every gun sale is a straw purchase.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
People still shop at Mega? The "FOID to enter" thing came about around Sandy Hook.

I haven't been in there in 10 years. Asshole owner is a former cop with a stick up his ass. Built himself a wack shack in the back with a bunch of screens/CCTVs. Sale's staff have to call back on their walkies for every gun sale for him to review because he thinks every gun sale is a straw purchase.
View Quote

Nope. FOID thing was brief around SH, came back for COVID.

Without being there in 10 years, you obviously wouldn't know that.

Larry
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:25:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Hint? What hint? Are you purposely being dense? My FOID is not expired. Would have taken me 8 seconds to long-in and show them the renewal screen and expiration date as “COVID.” Or 22 seconds to print that page right there and then if that’s what they needed. And fuck do they need all of that for? I was there to buy a $1399.00 scope. Do they not sell scopes? I would have went along with their stupidity, since I already wasted 90 minutes driving. But even that wasn’t good enough. Is it my fault that due to COVID and certain policies I still don’t have a renewed card after 9 months? Don’t be butt hurt just because you spent money there. This is no way to treat a customer anywhere. Especially unfortunate in Illinois. Instead of being friendly and polite and take care of other gun enthusiasts, these idiots went and acted like full ANTIFA.

Quoted:
Yeah, I'm not a 'man', I guess-but thanks for checking. Hey, while you're down there....

Anyway, I've been treated politely, like their range, and have gotten some good deals on firearms. As far as showing the FOID to enter, that only started when COVID hit, and they decided to limit the number of folks in the showroom; didn't want looky-loo's (or folks with expired FOID's...hint) taking up spaces that actual customers could use.

And the last time I went, there was a line halfway around the building, so a large number of people continue to patronize them, in spite of the opinions expressed here.

Larry
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:51:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Deleted to prevent spreading misinformation
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:58:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
**removed as post above was deleted**
View Quote

No, neither of the two original owners from the little shack on Rt 59 were named Larry, nor has there been a Larry since then from post-tornado to Lily Cache to current location.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:02:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No, neither of the two original owners from the little shack on Rt 59 were named Larry, nor has there been a Larry since then from post-tornado Lily Cache to current location.
View Quote

Thx @interested. I deleted my post
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:31:04 AM EDT
[#27]
No doubt an unpopular position to post but Ive never had an issue there.  Its not so close and I dont go there that much.

Yeah, the owner can be a bit difficult at times but in general I've gotten along with him.

I've seen an argument with staff but it really was customer initiated and being evasive about who the gun was really intended for after changing his story.

I've gotten a good deal a couple of times during a sale posted in a flyer.

Experience is they usually don't discount from their prices but a while back pre-Covid they offered some $$ off without me asking.

I've never gone during firearms panic mode or been required to show a FOID for entry.  This is currently a published entry requirement on their web page.

I would suspect a lot is lawyer driven.  Theres a lot to lose there and I've read they've been target of some Cook County catch efforts a time or two.

I dont agree with FOID entry requirement as there are other things to buy where not needed, but if I have reduced staff, limited inventory, etc, I can see not wanting to use those resources on someone who can't buy a firearm taking up time....but let the guy come in and buy a scope!

Should they honor ISP Covid rules regarding cards with expired dates?  Yes, I think so...but then again as it is a ruling by ISP and not an ILGA passed bill, I can also  understand reluctance and concern of it coming back to them (at least from a lawerly side).  They aren't the only LGS with this policy.

My own FOID is currently under renewal but card expire date is another month or 2 out.  My guess is they require FOID and won't honor a CCL for ammo and firearms in spite of what the law says they can do...but its a policy thing (even mentioned in ISP FAQ) and not required.   The ISP is also suggesting carrying print out of renewal.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:52:49 AM EDT
[#28]
So I'm guessing I missed where somebody proposed I was the owner of Mega Sports?

Bwahahaha. The way some folks deal with information they don't like is both predictable and hilarious.

I'm wondering if the folks who have 'problems' at gun shops are the same ones you occasionally see lecturing the staff, spewing vast depths of forum-derived gun wisdom and railing about the staff not knowing the rifling twist rate of their favorite gun....

I go in, ask to see what I'm interested in, they show it politely and then I buy it, or I don't. It's a really simple interaction; many do it without personal conflict every day.

Larry
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So I'm guessing I missed where somebody proposed I was the owner of Mega Sports?

Larry
View Quote

IIRC the owner's name is Mark?

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#30]
I've dealt with a 'boss' (don't know if he's the owner or the manager) named "Scott" a number of times; he's always been helpful and polite, if not warm and fuzzy.

Larry
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Bwahahaha. The way some folks deal with information they don't like is both predictable and hilarious.

I'm wondering if the folks who have 'problems' at gun shops are the same ones you occasionally see lecturing the staff, spewing vast depths of forum-derived gun wisdom and railing about the staff not knowing the rifling twist rate of their favorite gun....

I go in, ask to see what I'm interested in, they show it politely and then I buy it, or I don't. It's a really simple interaction; many do it without personal conflict every day.

Larry
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've dealt with a 'boss' (don't know if he's the owner or the manager) named "Scott" a number of times; he's always been helpful and polite, if not warm and fuzzy.

Larry
View Quote

Manager
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#33]
I think this post would have been more accurate if you'd left off the 'anti-2nd amendment management' bit, to be honest.

You showed up with an expired FOID, and didn't even have the letter showing it was extended; you then expected them to let you use their computer system to find and print that extension letter, something no company I've ever worked for would let a customer do.

They may have pissed you off, but trying to overstate that as 'anti-2nd amendment' is simply hyperbole, and not supported by the facts.

Larry
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#34]
I shop elsewhere.  Last time I was there about 10 years ago.  I brought a friend from downtown Chicago.  He had current FOID and State ID card, they refused to sell him a shotgun because he did not have a driver’s license.  I asked for manager and stated everything is legal with valid state ID card and FOID.  My friend told them he doesn’t own a car and drive since he lives in downtown Chicago. He still refused and praised the salesman for decline, no apology or explanation why. Very lame, I guess they support oil and auto industries.
Go elsewhere!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:08:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think this post would have been more accurate if you'd left off the 'anti-2nd amendment management' bit, to be honest.

You showed up with an expired FOID, and didn't even have the letter showing it was extended; you then expected them to let you use their computer system to find and print that extension letter, something no company I've ever worked for would let a customer do.

They may have pissed you off, but trying to overstate that as 'anti-2nd amendment' is simply hyperbole, and not supported by the facts.

Larry
View Quote

You sound like a shill. Would have taken 3 seconds to log in and show FOID was not expired. And FOID wasn’t needed, I wasn’t there to buy guns. And if they needed a printed page, it should have been stated on their website, before I drove 90 minutes. And since I drove 90 minutes, the least they could do is offer to print it out for me if they really needed it that bad. We’re going in circles here, go troll somewhere else. Not allowing someone to buy a scope because the government did not provide a physical renewed FOID card (even though the status is not expired) after 9+ months, is the literal definition of an anti 2nd amendment establishment. If ANTIFA owned a gun shop, it would be just like this one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#36]
A shill and a troll? Am I a Commie, too?

You're hilarious; you didn't even bother to bring the sheet with you, and their failure to jump through hoops to remedy YOUR failure makes them the equivalent of ANTIFA, huh.

Sure, sure.

Frankly, I look forward to not seeing you there, or at their range. Seems like MegaSports got an upgrade when you swore off shopping there.

Larry
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Shit store policy is shit store policy.  We don't need a foid to purchase an optic.  Store management should be more flexible.  

They don't want your money.  Someone else will take it.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A shill and a troll? Am I a Commie, too?

You're hilarious; you didn't even bother to bring the sheet with you, and their failure to jump through hoops to remedy YOUR failure makes them the equivalent of ANTIFA, huh.

Sure, sure.

Frankly, I look forward to not seeing you there, or at their range. Seems like MegaSports got an upgrade when you swore off shopping there.

Larry
View Quote

I think shill and troll about cover it.  Nothing you've said seems to suggest commie.  At least, not yet.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I think shill and troll about cover it.  Nothing you've said seems to suggest commie.  At least, not yet.
View Quote

Bwhaha. Sure, I'm on MegaSports payroll, and only visit ARFCOM to 'troll' folks like you.

Sure, sure; that makes perfect sense. I've had good experiences at a shop, so I'm obviously some type of insidious spy, sent to sew dissent and turmoil among the inner circles of this forum.

Or....I don't have a dick attitude, treat people politely and get treated politely in return. I don't think of every interaction at a gun shop as a dick-swinging contest, and get hyper-bent when they 'disrespect' me for not running their business just exactly the way I want them to.

Do you guys get this bent at Kohl's the day after a sale ends and they don't honor the price? Do you rant to a manager about how you would have come in yesterday, but got busy ranting on the forums?

It's like we've uncovered a secret Karen repository here in the bowels of what is otherwise a gun forum.....

Larry
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. Tried to buy two P10C's there once. Clerk asked why I wanted two, then had to go check with owner. Walked out, will not go back.

Also, their prices are shit. They have a pretty good inventory, but can't compete with online prices & selection. Plenty of FFL's are more than happy to have your business.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Same shit after sandy hook.  I only bought emergency cleaning supplies from them after that.

I have gone in multiple times to finger bang some guns for fit but always bought from somewhere else if I could get close in price.  

I recommend MMI in Minooka for just good people to deal with. Depending on if they are still slammed going there may be better than calling if you want to see if they can get what you want from their distributor.

Don’t think they have a great optics selection though it’s a small shop.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:36:10 PM EDT
[#42]
The point is, it's just plain F&^ing stupid!

I will never visit that hole Megaturds again ever as well.

Do I need a drivers license to visit a car dealer?

F*(k Megaturds!

Don't support them!

D5 / Marengo / Rguns / DSA can all get you squared away.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Was in the area over the weekend. Hadn’t been in there in years so I thought I would see how things had changed with their addition

Asked to show my FOID card when I entered. Since I am not an IL resident, I showed my drivers license. Was told I couldn’t enter. Questioned the employee and was told it the store policy.

Walked out and will never need to stop in again.

Of course I find this thread afterwards.  Would have saved me a little bit of time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:00:38 PM EDT
[#44]
You cant seem to catch a break dl1911! First fleet & farm and then mega stains.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You cant seem to catch a break dl1911! First fleet & farm and then mega stains.
View Quote

I know.
At least I feel like I might have a chance to get Farm & Fleet to reconsider.

Mega sounds like they have been fucked for awhile.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I know.
At least I feel like I might have a chance to get Farm & Fleet to reconsider.

Mega sounds like they have been fucked for awhile.
View Quote

The last time I visited mega stain was 2002. Over priced and poor service back then too.
Fms
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#47]
I've returned for the shit-stirring!
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#48]
I've known mark for many years in you are so correct when he had the small shop and Lily cache players a he was a good gun  Trader. He would take a little off your trade in and then take a little off on the gun you are buying and everything seemed to work out.
Now him and his people are just that's the price take it or leave it, trading  we don't like to take and trading, and we won't give you much for it. I don't know why unfortunately he still the only one it seems to have inventory. My favorite Rinks is almost guns.

Only thing I can think about with mark is about 1992 Plainfield had there tornado. And he was a cop on duty and I think he saw a lot of dead bodies or something. Because shortly after that he moved from Lily Cache Plaza to the big Mega building and things all changed. I spent thousands upon thousands of dollars there and occasionally if he's out he'll say hi to me but otherwise he just runs back in his office without saying a word to me. I don't know just my opinion

Link Posted: 3/12/2021 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I've known mark for many years in you are so correct when he had the small shop and Lily cache players a he was a good gun  Trader. He would take a little off your trade in and then take a little off on the gun you are buying and everything seemed to work out.
Now him and his people are just that's the price take it or leave it, trading  we don't like to take and trading, and we won't give you much for it. I don't know why unfortunately he still the only one it seems to have inventory. My favorite Rinks is almost out of guns.

Only thing I can think about with mark is about 1992 Plainfield had there tornado. And he was a cop on duty and I think he saw a lot of dead bodies or something. Because shortly after that he moved from Lily Cache Plaza to the big Mega building and things all changed. I spent thousands upon thousands of dollars there and occasionally if he's out he'll say hi to me but otherwise he just runs back in his office without saying a word to me. I don't know just my opinion

The owner doesn't seem to be around on the floor much anymore.  He used to be around years ago when it was just a little strip mall store down at Lilly Cache Plaza 20 years ago or whatever.  Frankly he was kind of a douche bag back then too.  

Apparently it has rubbed off on the corporate culture.  He does have a few good employees that I enjoy talking to once in a while, but overall a very douchey vibe in that place.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2021 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#50]
American firearms in Peoria was the same way. They had guns up on the walls out in the open, so anyone could walk up and grab them, so I was understanding. Problem always was, you’d show the guy at the door, and then the blowhard owner would come up to you and ask to see it again. I only stood for that a couple times. They’re out of business now. Moral of the story, if you treat everyone that walks through the door like they’re doing something wrong, they’ll naturally gravitate to somewhere more welcoming.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top