Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2021 9:42:28 PM EDT
I’m planning on restoring my John Deere pedal tractor. It’s very crusty from sitting outside for years. It’s a Ertl 520. Some of the parts are too far gone to save. The main body section is cast aluminum. Any suggestions on a place to blast it? I’m going to soak all the hardware with some PB blaster for awhile before attempting to tear it down. I’m thinking media blasting will be gentler on the parts.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#1]
my buddy could do it with his portable sand blaster
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:23:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
my buddy could do it with his portable sand blaster
View Quote

Thanks. I will give you a call once I get it torn down and inspected. Pedals and back wheels are toast for sure. I think the rest is salvageable.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#3]
call Bobby Hawk @ Metro Transit Sandblasting
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a do it yourself project if you have a garage. My dad has an old one in his garage, but the frame is busted. I don't know if those things are tig weldable or not. 73 year old man and still gripes about the propane truck driver who backed over his pedal tractor when he was a kid.

It's a viscous cycle if you get into collecting old John Deere toys and stuff. I have boxes of John Deere stuff in storage that's just waiting for me to move into a bigger house without kids.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I really just want to blast and repaint it. The pedals and rear wheels are toast. The rest appears to be serviceable.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey,,,I'm darn near 70 and still shoot 4" groups at 1000. Busdriver backed over my bike.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top