Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2023 5:56:26 PM EDT
https://mynorthwest.com/3882529/mckenna-assault-weapons-may-be-too-commonplace-to-ban/

“Assault Weapons, as you know, like an AR-15 or Bushmaster, have tremendous power. Second Amendment proponents say, ‘I’m a responsible gun owner, I have this weapon. Yes, it’s powerful, but I’m entitled to have it,'” McKenna said. “Americans buy more of the most popular type of semi-automatic rifle, the AR-15, each year than the most popular type of automobile, the Ford F-150. And there are more AR-15-style rifles in private hands in America today than those that subscribe to all daily newspapers nationwide combined.

“This means that if policymakers don’t like a brand new weapon, let’s say hypothetically, it doesn’t exist today,” McKenna continued. “If they want to ban it, they would need to move to ban it before it comes into common use.”
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty much everyone I know in this state who owns guns owns an AR or something similar. It's been the top selling type of rifle for 19 years since the AWB expired and shit took off.

In my opinion the state bit off more than it can chew, but it will take years to vomit it back up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe I'm bring pedantic, but when politicians speak on guns and they don't know the terminology, it bugs me. I know McKenna is on our side, but having the details hammered out helps.

I hope this is indeed too big of a bite.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
In an odd way, we may be fortunate that there was so much overreach from the standpoint of at least an injunction. Too much that is now under scrutiny for its level of ridiculous. If the ban scope was limited to no further sales of complete weapons or serialized or unserialized lowers and didn’t included every part under the sun or crept into shotguns or pistols, it might have been a longer uphill journey to unravel.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I stopped listening to KIRO 5 years ago when I move to E WA. But I see that Dave Ross still uses 3rd grade “logic” when discussing things he has no knowledge of.
From the article:”Dave (Ross) points out, you wouldn’t want someone walking down the street with a rocket launcher.” Describing him as a dufus would be an insult to all other defuses.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
“This means that if policymakers don’t like a brand new weapon, let’s say hypothetically, it doesn’t exist today,” McKenna continued. “If they want to ban it, they would need to move to ban it before it comes into common use.”
View Quote
Which begs the question: does the common use test paint us into the corner?

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 1:46:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe so. The framers didn’t say “the right of the people to keep arms in common use shall not be infringed”. The common use test is bullshit, except when applied after an item has long been in use. . Just means that lawmakers will ban the phased plasma rifles in the 40W range when they are invented, before they even have a chance to be “in common use”.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I believe so. The framers didn’t say “the right of the people to keep arms in common use shall not be infringed”. The common use test is bullshit, except when applied after an item has long been in use. . Just means that lawmakers will ban the phased plasma rifles in the 40W range when they are invented, before they even have a chance to be “in common use”.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. The common use "standard" is just another example of judicial overreach & fabrication. It was introduced in Miller, & has been maintained ever since. Even Scalia referred to it in Heller, though I suspect he doesn't agree with it, but conceded to get other justices on board the with majority decision. It doesn't appear to be going away, & the longer it stays, the more entrenched it becomes, but it's false doctrine.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Correct. The common use "standard" is just another example of judicial overreach & fabrication. It was introduced in Miller, & has been maintained ever since. Even Scalia referred to it in Heller, though I suspect he doesn't agree with it, but conceded to get other justices on board the with majority decision. It doesn't appear to be going away, & the longer it stays, the more entrenched it becomes, but it's false doctrine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Need to add "sporting purposes" to the false doctrine list too.  Especially when they argue that just because a particular "sport" might use the item, doesn't mean it is suitable for "sporting purposes".  I think they narrowly define "sporting" as "hunting"....
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#9]
This video along the same lines from WA Gun Law dropped today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viKvOfWAH-s

Not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 1:53:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Got to check the dates when these happened.

Because GD covered it April 28, 2023. ??
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 2:53:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Need to add "sporting purposes" to the false doctrine list too.  Especially when they argue that just because a particular "sport" might use the item, doesn't mean it is suitable for "sporting purposes".  I think they narrowly define "sporting" as "hunting"....
View Quote

You're not wrong, & it's still all just more fabricated BS that chips away at freedom & increases government control. None of the select terms exists either in the constitution or the framers' writings on this subject, or any other for that matter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top