Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2020 4:12:00 PM EDT
I gave up on the NRA a while ago but I still get their emails -

The National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action partnered with The Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs in a lawsuit against the state of New Jersey for infringing on our members’ right to carry.

New Jersey’s may-issue statute also requires that people justify their need to carry. And even though the Supreme Court said that self-defense is “the central component” of the Second Amendment, the desire to defend yourself is insufficient justification under New Jersey law. This makes it all but impossible for law-abiding gun owners to receive a permit, which is required to lawfully carry a handgun in New Jersey.

One of the Plaintiffs in the lawsuit is a firearms instructor with a current federal and New Jersey firearms retail license. But when he went to submit his application for a permit at his local police department, he was told not to even bother because it would just be denied for lacking a justifiable need.

“That is egregious but pretty common in New Jersey,” said Michael Jean, NRA-ILA Director of Litigation. “The Supreme Court said that the Second Amendment ‘takes out of the hands of government … the power to decide on a case-by-case basis whether the right is really worth insisting upon.’ But that’s what officials in New Jersey do when they reject applicants who they believe haven’t justified their need to exercise their rights. This lawsuit’s aim is to put an end to that.”

The case is Mazahreh v. Grewal. It was filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey. The Coalition of New Jersey Firearms Owners also joined the lawsuit.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]
just living and working in this shithole of a state should qualify us to carry a handgun for self defense.

i doubt i'm the only person who feels like my life is in jeopardy every time i have to do a job in Newark or Paterson. Coincidentally, those are the ONLY 2 places my truck has mysteriously shed expensive tools, and i have been "forcefully asked" for a "donation" by some thug.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing will happen as usual.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nothing will happen as usual.
View Quote

I wish you were wrong...
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top