Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2021 5:54:48 PM EDT
I live in Louisiana (again.)  I bought a used car from a dealer in New York, and had it shipped here. I have the original New Jersey title, signed over to the New York dealer. I also have the New York title and the eMV50 transferring it to me.

I’ve been to the Mansfield OMV twice, talked with both Patty and Selma on two different occasions. Both say there is a “federal law” that requires the title be signed over to me.  I registered my wife’s car and my truck with no issues, but noticed the MS titles have a place on the back to transfer them - NY does not.

Tried calling the OMV in Baton Rouge - 16 calls, 14 immediate hang-ups, 2 hang-ups after the first idiot answered.

Tried calling Albany - they are worse.

Anybody successfully titled and registered a car from NY in LA?  

I could probably drive the 6 hours to Baton Rouge or New Orleans and they ~might~ know what to do.  I’d rather educate Patty & Selma so the next guy doesn’t go through this.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I registered my wife's car and my truck with no issues, but noticed the MS titles have a place on the back to transfer them - NY does not.

There's a spot to transfer title on the back of a NY title. I don't know anything about LA
View Quote

@Aimless,

I can’t upload the pic of the back of my NY title for some reason, but it’s blank (other than a NJ rubber stamp saying taxes are paid.)  apparently there was a change in 2018, and the MV-50 form takes the place of transferring ownership. I’ve been told numerous times that a dealer title and an MV-50 in my name constitutes ownership. I just can’t get Patty and Selma down here to recognize that.

Calling Albany is almost as bad as calling Baton Rouge - all overworked, underpaid, and useless.

Link Posted: 12/21/2021 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There's a spot to transfer title on the back of a NY title. I don't know anything about LA
View Quote
+1

That is how I sold my car years ago. Also had a lien discharge from the bank that I provided with the signed title.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
+1

That is how I sold my car years ago. Also had a lien discharge from the bank that I provided with the signed title.
View Quote

Finally got it to upload - nowhere for the dealer to sign.  I have a serialized eMV-50 form transferring ownership to me, to go with the title.

It’s a 10yro car, my truck is 11yro, and the wIfe’s car is 8yro. I realize times have changed, and maybe online is the future, but how do I convince Patty & Selma?

All I have is a (518) xxx-5595 number for the DMV in Albany, and they hang up on me before I can talk to anyone.

Link Posted: 12/21/2021 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 2:59:13 AM EDT
[#6]
aimless is correct, that is not a NY title. plus, transferring a vehicle on an "open back" NY title is illegal in NY. every transfer has to be co pleted filled out in the buyers and sellers spots. NY wants to make sure it collects its sales tax woth every transfer..
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 5:55:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/get-proof-ownership-purchase

Sounds like the MV-50 is a form the used car dealer has to provide in addition to the NY title signed by the prior owner. You need both, according to this webpage
View Quote

Thanks @Aimless,

Now I know what to get from the dealer - the MSO.  I have the title (transferred to the dealer and the MV-50.)

Y’all are also correct, it’s a NJ not NY title. I have 2 NJ titles (I assumed the 2nd one was NY since the dealer is on Long Island), one issued to the original owner signed over to the NY dealer, and another in the dealers name (with no place to sign it over.)

I know it’s a paperwork issue and not a scam as I called the verifiny outfit and gave them the MV50 number and they confirmed the vin and transfer to me (he read it all out to me and I matched it to the paperwork.)

Sadly, my DMV ladies only reference the script on their computers.  I finally got Baton Rouge to give me a number for their supervisor. “Ms Jones” hasn’t called me back yet
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top