Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2021 3:07:02 PM EDT
It could very well be that my search is soon over! I’m currently in Occupied Virginia (northern VA) and am sick of our governor coonface, the damned Democrats that have taken over and the horrible traffic that is here.
I’ve been looking for the past year for a place that meets my wants and think I’ve finally found it. Started looking in the Williams area but it seems there’s too many Californians who are driving up the local prices. Finally found a really nice place on about 40 acres in a price range that I can afford.
My girlfriend/significant other and I are flying out next week to look over the place and get started on the purchase. The place is off the grid and has its own well.
I’m a firearms enthusiast and have tax stamps on several items.
Please wish me luck! Hope to meet y’all in the near future.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Yea ur gonna be out there… not much around, but I’m sure that’s what you want.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I kinda like the being remote. SWMBO isn’t too crazy about it though. I like the idea of being able shoot on my own property. And Williams isn’t too far away. I like that little town. Everyone we met there has been very friendly.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#3]
We looked at the Seligman area, and decided against it.  Talked to a deputy, he said your shit will disappear if you leave for a day or two.
I'm sure that's the case anywhere.  YMMV

Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll be sure to ask about it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 12:11:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Look very closely at what utilities are available.  Many of the properties out there require you to trailer in your own water.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#6]
FYI , you are going to have to drill a well for ( $30 to 40 grand) or haul water. Also what will it cost to run electric to the house ? What will a septic  system cost? Will the land perk? Get all your costs figured out and than add 15% . The cost of building materials is through the roof and going higher. And after all that if you still think it's  viable ,and you don't mind the inconvenience of  living out there . How will your wife and family feel about it ? The land out there in Seligman is cheap for a reason . All im saying is make sure you know the ups and downs of it and then if you do it and don't like it will you be able to sell it without loosing your ass ? The only way to know is to roll the dice , best of  luck and hope it all works out great for you .  
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#7]
just about to write, its cheap for a reason...

and if the significant other isn't happy about it, god help you...
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Been in the area a bit, nothing really around and roads can suck in winter or when it rains hard. Fair amount of drugs in the area. Other then that we are turning blue and will most likely lose the Governor seat next term
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out above Kingman high up in the Hualapai Mountains. No idea what your price range is. Pricing is going crazy, but this one is cheap. It needs updated from the 80’s though. Seems too cheap to be true to be honest. Right on the paved road which is nice in the winter. One of the nicest areas in Arizona. Cool like flagstaff, but under a 100 people and all are pretty right wing. Kingman is a short drive away for shopping and work. Definitely a lot more of that than Seligman/Williams.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4570-S-Hualapai-Mountain-Rd-Kingman-AZ-86401/8345768_zpid/?utm_campaign=iosappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 4:09:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Methbilly area, no thank you.

Good luck brother, hope it still works out for you though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We looked at the Seligman area, and decided against it.  Talked to a deputy, he said your shit will disappear if you leave for a day or two.
I'm sure that's the case anywhere.  YMMV

View Quote

it took 11 years for them to find my cabin near Cross mountain, I lost 2 guns of no consequence but at least they shut the doors after they left.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

it took 11 years for them to find my cabin near Cross mountain, I lost 2 guns of no consequence but at least they shut the doors after they left.
View Quote

Deputy told us about a guy losing his fifth wheel, well pump and his dog while in town getting groceries.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#13]
OP - are you talking about land on the Sierra Verde Ranch?
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yea ur gonna be out there… not much around
View Quote

You beat me to it.  Other than the "Route 66" tourist crap, there is nothing there.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP - are you talking about land on the Sierra Verde Ranch?
View Quote

Yep, that was the area. Decided to not pull the trigger on it as it was way out there. Place has a 550foot deep well, solar and wind. I really liked the place but just too far out there. Sellers are really nice people and gun enthusiasts.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#17]
So, not buying in Seligman, but did find a really nice place just north of Williams just off of 64. Commercial power is there, but must water haul. Telephone and internet is there. Much less acreage, but place is 6.5 acres and backs up to state land. Location is almost ideal as I really like Williams.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 1:14:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So, not buying in Seligman, but did find a really nice place just north of Williams just off of 64. Commercial power is there, but must water haul. Telephone and internet is there. Much less acreage, but place is 6.5 acres and backs up to state land. Location is almost ideal as I really like Williams.
View Quote

Good hunting up there
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#19]
You didn't mention your time frame, but if you weren't aware of it, read the attached article about development on the Yavapai Ranch, which borders Sierra Verde on the south.  If this happens there could be development of up to 10,000 homes off Williamson Valley Road.  This would drive a lot of growth in Seligman and the entire area.  We have 20 acres near Yavapai Ranch and would expect that Williamson Valley Road would be paved and that we would be able to get on the electric grid at the least.

https://www.dcourier.com/news/2021/aug/09/failure-record-plat-puts-51000-acre-yavapai-ranch-/
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

is that where they stage the hold ups on the Grand Canyon train?
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#21]
The place I’m buying is on the east side of 64, but, yes, in that area. Met one of the train robbers a few months ago. He is the horse holder now, old age catches up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Check out above Kingman high up in the Hualapai Mountains. No idea what your price range is. Pricing is going crazy, but this one is cheap. It needs updated from the 80’s though. Seems too cheap to be true to be honest. Right on the paved road which is nice in the winter. One of the nicest areas in Arizona. Cool like flagstaff, but under a 100 people and all are pretty right wing. Kingman is a short drive away for shopping and work. Definitely a lot more of that than Seligman/Williams.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4570-S-Hualapai-Mountain-Rd-Kingman-AZ-86401/8345768_zpid/?utm_campaign=iosappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare
View Quote

The Hualapais are beautiful, but a lot of those properties are now at risk for flash flooding from the Flag Fire Scar
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The Hualapais are beautiful, but a lot of those properties are now at risk for flash flooding from the Flag Fire Scar
View Quote

Agreed. I have three properties up there and live in one of them full time. Flagmine Road was wrecked a few months ago by a wall of water that came down from the burn scar. That property shouldn’t have any flooding issues since it’s on the main paved road Hualapai Mountain Road. Anything off the paved road can be a nightmare to get in and out of during the winter.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Check out above Kingman high up in the Hualapai Mountains. No idea what your price range is. Pricing is going crazy, but this one is cheap. It needs updated from the 80's though. Seems too cheap to be true to be honest. Right on the paved road which is nice in the winter. One of the nicest areas in Arizona. Cool like flagstaff, but under a 100 people and all are pretty right wing. Kingman is a short drive away for shopping and work. Definitely a lot more of that than Seligman/Williams.

View Quote
I was just showing that property to my wife. We looked up their before we bought in Havasu, but I'm always looking for more properties to my slim lord empire.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was just showing that property to my wife. We looked up their before we bought in Havasu, but I'm always looking for more properties to my slim lord empire.
View Quote

Surprisingly it hasn’t sold yet. I haven’t looked at it, so it may have some issues. Maybe it’s haunted by more than just the 1980’s.

Very few of those properties have a lot of acreage. Most are in the .5 - 1.0 acre range. The one that has the Pete’s Hideout entrance is massive at like 17 acres and backs up to the park. The owner told me he ends up with wandering people from the park on his land all the time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#26]
If I wasn't so content slumming it in town and bouncing back and forth to my shop, that listing would be tempting as hell. Maybe when my land up in Reno sells I'll pick up a place up there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top