Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2021 2:30:12 PM EDT

We've been trying to get out where we're at for the last 10+ years.  Finally the wife is on board but last year the Covid bug squashed the job market.

I have a job opportunity South of Houston.  I might be heading down very soon for perhaps a final interview.  On the surface it seems like a good move.

My son is 13 and I want to make sure he'll be in a good environment because the transition will be challenging for him.  

My work place will eventually be about 20 minutes South of Friendswood.  I'm thinking someplace like a 30-40 mile radius around the Alvin, Damon or Liverpool areas to find a home.  If I could keep the commute to 45 minutes or less that would be ideal.

I know almost everything is "pending" in the housing market down there.  Crazy!  I'm also a bit concerned about potential flooding if that's an issue.

I'm grateful for any help, thoughts and guidance.  Getting out of the area were in is a priority for us but we don't want to be stuck in a miserable situation in a new place either.

Link Posted: 9/28/2021 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I live between Pearland and Alvin outside of city limits near highway 35. You would probably be good making a list of homes you were interested in and asking a realtor to assist you with looking at the homes and about any flooding of the houses.  I would also avoid any HOAs. Look for a house in some neighborhoods south of the HEB on county road 528 and north of Ron Carter. Nice area and a couple of miles from PSC range in Friendswood/Pearland area.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

We've been trying to get out where we're at for the last 10+ years.  Finally the wife is on board but last year the Covid bug squashed the job market.

I have a job opportunity South of Houston.  I might be heading down very soon for perhaps a final interview.  On the surface it seems like a good move.

My son is 13 and I want to make sure he'll be in a good environment because the transition will be challenging for him.  

My work place will eventually be about 20 minutes South of Friendswood.  I'm thinking someplace like a 30-40 mile radius around the Alvin, Damon or Liverpool areas to find a home.  If I could keep the commute to 45 minutes or less that would be ideal.

I know almost everything is "pending" in the housing market down there.  Crazy!  I'm also a bit concerned about potential flooding if that's an issue.

I'm grateful for any help, thoughts and guidance.  Getting out of the area were in is a priority for us but we don't want to be stuck in a miserable situation in a new place either.

View Quote

Damon is in BFE and is a solid hour in light traffic from Friendswood.  So you can probably write that area off.  

Honestly I wouldn’t live inside the city limits of Alvin for nothing.  I try to avoid driving thru Alvin as it’s a ghetto.  If you can find something out in the county you should be okay.  But as you mentioned, you are going to pay out the ass for a home right now.  What was selling for $120,000 two years ago are selling for $180,000+.  Guy I work with is trying to buy a home and he’s on his third attempt and is again in a bidding war.  Bidding starting at sellers asking price.

I also agree to avoid HOA’s at all costs.  

As far as flooding, that has become a real issue in Brazoria county, partially because of Ft Bend county’s massive growth that are causing bayou’s to flood.  Been too long for me to give accurate advice on what areas flood and don’t flood in the NE area of the county.  Best thing to do is ask folks in the area who’ve lived in the area at least 5 years, which is when flooding has started to become a big issue in some areas of the county.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks all.  It looks like I still have much research to do.  

I'm also concerned about the humidity and keeping "the toys" rust free.

Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks all.  It looks like I still have much research to do.  

I'm also concerned about the humidity and keeping "the toys" rust free.

View Quote

If you are concerned about "Humidity", oh BROTHER - are YOU moving to the WRONG part of Texas...
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:05:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you are concerned about "Humidity", oh BROTHER - are YOU moving to the WRONG part of Texas...
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Hammer was probably sweating just typing that. Humid? Heh - oh it's lovely.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm no stranger to physically handling humidity.  It's the rust I'm worried about.

Does everyone carry home flood insurance in those parts?  I was forced to carry it at a previous residence and it was a scam.  There was never flooding in the area but if your home was "in the flood plane" you had no choice.  FEMA raised the rate every year and there was nothing you could do about it.  It went from $600 a year to $1,200 in 5 years.    Those in my neighborhood were basically paying for folks in other parts of the country that REALLY get flooded.

With that being said if you are in an area that has a legitimate flood risk it makes sense.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I canceled my flood insurance and told them to go fuck themselves.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Liverpool Texas in on the bayou.  Its basically former rice fields.   Brazoria County used to be the no. 1 rice producing county in the US.   Before that, tons of sugar was grown.  

Where are you working?   Tex. City or LaMarque?  

Many nights in the Fall, Winter, and Spring, all exposed metal will be covered in condensation.  Thick condensation and coastal fog.   Cool air, warm land and coastal waters, and the result is massive humidity and fog.    

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm no stranger to physically handling humidity.  It's the rust I'm worried about.

Does everyone carry home flood insurance in those parts?  I was forced to carry it at a previous residence and it was a scam.  There was never flooding in the area but if your home was "in the flood plane" you had no choice.  FEMA raised the rate every year and there was nothing you could do about it.  It went from $600 a year to $1,200 in 5 years.    Those in my neighborhood were basically paying for folks in other parts of the country that REALLY get flooded.

With that being said if you are in an area that has a legitimate flood risk it makes sense.
View Quote

There is a LOT of flooding in the area due to the nature of coastal plains.  

We used construction equipment to rescue people off their roofs when Harvey flooded out much of the area.  Dickenson, Alvin, & the area all took a LOT of water.  Look up the Cajun Navy & Hurricane Harvey.  Even out west by Katy there was severe flooding when the Corp of Engineers opened up the Addicks Dam Flood Gates (my old childhood home took 12' of water - surreal to see boats (not canoes or kayaks but motor boats) cruising up & down the streets looking at the roofs & upper floors of so many homes.

I found out what works to keep pistols from rusting (Glock & M&P pistols that are Polymer w/ Nitride Metal) & my buddy found out what doesn't (Rusty 1911)) when we were constantly wet while helping out on rescues.

Having Flood Insurance May well be a requirement from your lender if you have a mortgage & are in the Flood plain  Pay Cash & you can roll your dice as you like.

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I canceled my flood insurance and told them to go fuck themselves.
View Quote

^^^^
This!
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome.  I wouldn't be looking into Damon unless you like driving a lot for everything.  Pearland has a lot of hoa and has the Houston crime.  Alvin is ok but I tend to stay away from it, I've probably been 4 times in the past 10 years though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 2:36:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Is there any county/town South of Houston that's not in a flood plane?
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Liverpool Texas in on the bayou.  Its basically former rice fields.   Brazoria County used to be the no. 1 rice producing county in the US.   Before that, tons of sugar was grown.  

Where are you working?   Tex. City or LaMarque?   I'm not 100% sure yet. I was told they're building a new office 20 minutes South of Pearland.  I'm thinking it might be around or a little North of Lake Jackson.

Many nights in the Fall, Winter, and Spring, all exposed metal will be covered in condensation.  Thick condensation and coastal fog.   Cool air, warm land and coastal waters, and the result is massive humidity and fog.    

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Any places not too far West of 288 that isn't flood prone?
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#16]
There ain't too many hills around here to get too far out if the flood plain.  And we had basically back to back 100 year floods in a few years and if they haven't already I'm sure they are going to re draw the flood plains anyway.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes.  My house has never flooded, even before the levee system was put in.  Strange enough though, if water is covering the street in front of my house, people at the end of my street have water in their homes.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I live in pearland on the west side and really like it. No flooding for Harvey. West Pearland might be a bit far from your work depending on where it is.

Down side: higher property taxes and currently no 51% alcohol places if that's important to you. Great schools. The housing market is crazy right now though. Our house's value has gone up almost 100k in 3 years.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#19]
The basic problem is this.  We really don't have regional flood control policies.   So, what did not flood yesterday may well flood tomorrow due to all the development west or north of your home in an adjoining area or county.    

As the former rice fields and relatively low lying areas are paved over, and the bayous/creeks straightened and concreted, the water does not soak in, and instead, rushes down stream flooding previously developed areas.  

Much more to it than that, but thats the basic overview.  

My place in NW Houston was built in the mid-80's.  No flood insurance even required.  Well above the 100 year flood plain.  And, there was little development upstream in my water shed.  Since then, the flood waters get closer and closer and closer with each flood event.   As the water shed is developed.  

Last three events, flood waters were forced "up stream" in our local drainage ditch because the local major creek could not handle the volume of water.  This inundated homes just a couple blocks from me.   Homes that had never seen water since their construction in the late 70's/early 80's.

Same basic story in many parts of the Houston area.  There are even parts of Houston in which 40, 50, or 60 year old homes are now being lifted onto 6 foot high foundations to avoid future flood events.   Newly constructed homes built on 6 foot raised pads.  

So, big picture, unless its a newly constructed home on a raised foundation, probably should expect it might have future flood issues on the SW side of the Houston metro area.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The basic problem is this.  We really don't have regional flood control policies.   So, what did not flood yesterday may well flood tomorrow due to all the development west or north of your home in an adjoining area or county.    

As the former rice fields and relatively low lying areas are paved over, and the bayous/creeks straightened and concreted, the water does not soak in, and instead, rushes down stream flooding previously developed areas.  

Much more to it than that, but thats the basic overview.  

My place in NW Houston was built in the mid-80's.  No flood insurance even required.  Well above the 100 year flood plain.  And, there was little development upstream in my water shed.  Since then, the flood waters get closer and closer and closer with each flood event.   As the water shed is developed.  

Last three events, flood waters were forced "up stream" in our local drainage ditch because the local major creek could not handle the volume of water.  This inundated homes just a couple blocks from me.   Homes that had never seen water since their construction in the late 70's/early 80's. https://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?a=squote&b=8&f=8&t=657473&tl=May-have-a-job-opportuntity-South-of-Houston-&r=7240387&page=1#

Same basic story in many parts of the Houston area.  There are even parts of Houston in which 40, 50, or 60 year old homes are now being lifted onto 6 foot high foundations to avoid future flood events.   Newly constructed homes built on 6 foot raised pads.  

So, big picture, unless its a newly constructed home on a raised foundation, probably should expect it might have future flood issues on the SW side of the Houston metro area.
View Quote

Thank you sir, great info!  That paints a picture for sure.  We're desperate to get out of where were at.  The walls are closing in.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Honestly… there isn’t much you can do about it other than purchase wisely. But even then you’re hemmed in by prices, commute times, desirable areas, etc.

My suggestion is to do what you can, buy flood insurance, and not worry about it overmuch.

… and maybe keep heirloom possessions to a minimum or easy to move.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Honestly… there isn’t much you can do about it other than purchase wisely. But even then you’re hemmed in by prices, commute times, desirable areas, etc.

My suggestion is to do what you can, buy flood insurance, and not worry about it overmuch.

… and maybe keep heirloom possessions to a minimum or easy to move.
View Quote

… and maybe keep heirloom possessions to a minimum or easy to move. - Good advice but safes are heavy!  
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Flying in, in a couple weeks to check out the opportunity.  Fingers crossed, should be interesting.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Interesting area.  Unfortunately, I mostly got to see endless freeway, big box stores, malls and industrial buildings.

Manvel, Friendswood, Senna areas look interesting.  A little pricey.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#25]
OP,,My best Bud for over fifty years lives in the area. He was ( retired now) a real estate appraiser in all the Houston Metro area including Galveston , Bolivar, Conroe, The Woodlands and many many other areas. He's in Santa Fe now and two years ago HIS HOUSE flooded. He told me that he never in a million years thought it COULD happen. He spent all 68 of his years in the area. If you'll give me a specific location ( within a mile or so) of your new job I'll give him a ring and see what he says.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top