Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2021 1:39:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued]
I was smart enough to book a timeshare and car ... but heading out on July 22, and didn't get a chance to get a luau.  Have my name on the waitlists of what Google has.  Have been checking online every few days for openings.

Any insights to smaller, non-online shows?   Or any of the tourist companies worth asking?

Thanks.

edit: kids are 6 & 8.  We've got surf lessons, the Maui Ocean Center, and a glass-bottom boat (Reef Dancer) booked.  Will likely skip the Road to Hana and the volcano (mostly because we don't want to pack jackets, and get them up at the ass-crack of dawn after a 5-hour time difference).    Any other age-appropriate ideas?
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Restaurant reservations are hard to come by, Kihei is easier than Lahaina, go to open table and start booking now
Sun rise at Haleakala NP is by reservation only, and if you don’t have one yet, you won’t get one during your stay, another alternative is going for sunset, the view is spectacular, and on a clear day you can see most of the state from there, but it can get very crowded.  Plan on it taking 3-4 hours
From Lahaina or Kihei to there
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Since you booked a car, my suggestion would be to explorer the island. Just get in the car and drive.... I do suggest driving the road to Hana. It's a long drive, so get up early and make a day of it. Be sure to stop off at Grandma's Coffee House on the way and eat breakfast there. You won't regret it. Drive the road to Hana and enjoy the spectacular views and waterfalls along the way. My wife and I drove a convertible while we were there so the whole road to Hana was with the top down. Great drive and you get to certain points on the back side of the island where the mango trees are so plentiful, the fruit is just laying all over the place and the sweet smell is incredible. Stop at some of the local fruit stands and get some locally grown fruit and snack on it during the drive. The kids will like it.  It will be a drive you won't forget. Go to Mama's Fish House for dinner. It's a little pricey, but the food is good and the views incredible. Book early. Have fun! Exploring is the best fun... stay away from the touristy stuff... Do your own thing. You'll have a much better time and your wallet will thank you.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the ideas.

We actually got called last night about a cancellation, so snagged 4 tix to Drums of the Pacific.  

Wife and I went to Maui back in 2011, did Hana and sunrise on the volcano.  Both ok items, but ... kind of nonplussed when we got to Hana.  Probably a lack of planning on our part.  Saw a cave in someone's field which was cool, but it's on the "gotta find something to do today" plans.

We had discussed a snorkeling trip and the underwater/sub tour, but figure we dropped enough money already.  Have to save something for our next time out there!
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I vacation 1-2 times a year between Lahina and Napili. Were are you  folks staying?

Defiantly hit Star noodle, Mama's In Napili used to be good, its under new ownership and still good just not as good as it was.  Kapalua Bay is excellent for beginner snorkelers, plus easy as it gets water entry from a sandy beach.  farther North is Honoloua bay which has 2 separate coral formations usually good but any rain will blow it out for a few days. I've seen cool shit at both spots.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#5]
We were in Kihei.

Mama's had a 4 month wait list, per a guy that we met surfing that worked there.

Kids aren't quite at the snorkel stage, probably in a year or 2.  The younger hasn't quite figured out the mask/snorkel, and neither is a strong enough swimmer to handle the waves well.  The perils of growing up in the Midwest.  But they do play in the pools with them, and hopefully lake in the next one or two years.  It was fun having them swim in the surf and see how different it was for them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't go to Hawaii until the covidiocy and mask bullshit stops. We have no covid rules or mandates in SD and our weekly average death rate is 0. I just can't see paying good money for a vacation just to play stupid face diaper games on the flight and on the islands.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#7]
all flights are like that, no big deal (in health care already, kids did it all school year, but were in school).

Maui wasn't too stupid.  It was 'mandated' in side, but no one was really enforcing it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top