Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2022 10:19:25 PM EDT
New York City lost well over 330,000 people in one year.

Los Angeles County lost over 184,000 people in the same period.  This does not include San Bernardino, Riverside and Orange County losses.

140,000 have left the San Francisco Bay area counties.

I knew it was bad.  I knew we missed the boat to leave.  I just didn't have any numbers to put to the observations we'd made.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:26:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: operatorerror] [#1]
That's just a tiny fraction of the population and how many came into the state in that time frame?  And there's still plenty of places to move to, you haven't missed any boat.  Just gonna' have to adjust the requirements of your move and how much you're able to or are willing to spend.

You can do it...if you have the resources.  And if you can find work if you need it.

Real estate prices are still going up all throughout the west AFAIK.  Driven in part by the CA exodus of course.  If you can sell in CA you'll still be fine purchasing in most places.  Do you have a destination in mind?  I have considered Idaho (I have cousins there so I'm very familiar).  If Nevada had some trees it'd be at or near the top of my list, but desirable (to me) properties in Nevada are pricey.  I love the Flagstaff area but it's kinda' far away from my family in Northern California.  Washington is out due to politics.  Oregon too.  Might as well stay here.  Montana and Utah...I don't know.  Proximity to aging parents and young grandchildren is important to me.

I wish the State of Jefferson was a thing. I'd move tonight.

Don't forget.  Texas is full according to the GD Texans.  Back in the day I loved my time in San Antonio, I hear things have changed a lot politically.  Sort of Californicated from what I hear.

I'm considering vacation property elsewhere for now, keep the house in CA.  But then that limits how much acreage I can get.

Just random thoughts on the subject.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Approximately 1% of California's population left in 1 year.  Over the last several years (at least 5 years) there has been an ongoing exodus.  

That may not sound like a lot but 390k people in one year is almost the population of Wyoming.  Over time, it adds up to a LOT.

1% of California is 10% of many other States.  5 * 1% is 50% of many other States OR 10% in 5 States.  

I'm not meaning this as an exercise in arithmetic, rather as an exercise in what I meant by "mass migration".  

It would be interesting to know what people left and who replaced them.  

Link to Wikipedia article on State populations, look at changes over last ten years.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 12:39:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#3]
By "missed the boat", I was referring to the radically increased housing prices elsewhere.

When we first started looking, houses were $200k - $300k and were on the market for months.  That slowly escalated to $300k - $400k.  Now, those same houses (or worse) are selling up in the $600k - $800k range and they are sold in days.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#4]
We have a friend who has sold their home but is leasing in the area.  She's got some long term med issues and waiting for their kid to finish high school.  I think their idea is to have taken the high price (or close??) and expect (hope for) some drop off while figuring out the actual area they want to go to.  That also could allow them to purchase in a new area even if not ready to fully move out of this area.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 6:52:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hepcat85] [#5]
delete
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
By "missed the boat", I was referring to the radically increased housing prices elsewhere.

When we first started looking, houses were $200k - $300k and were on the market for months.  That slowly escalated to $300k - $400k.  Now, those same houses (or worse) are selling up in the $600k - $800k range and they are sold in days.
View Quote

It is a bit wild. We decided to get a second home in MT back in 2016 or so, plan was to buy cash and build what we wanted. We had the cash but decided to not use our reserves and just save up for it separate. We where looking at 20 acres for about $50k with utilities to the edge of the lot, now those same lots are $300k or more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top