Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2021 2:53:38 PM EDT
Thinking about a summer trip... is HI still serious about the outdoors mask mandate BS ?
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 12:30:29 AM EDT
[#1]
We're heading to Maui and Oahu this summer and I'm wondering the same thing too, but I'd be dogpiled if I questioned any Covid stuff on the travel forum I've been getting a lot of info from. I get that I'll have to mask up to go in businesses, but I do not plan on wearing one on hiking trails or the beach. I've heard of possible fines, but are they good about warnings in the event that a cop addresses you?
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 4:52:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep. Mask up everywhere you go.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Forcing people to wear masks outside is weapons-grade stupidity.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:53:22 AM EDT
[#4]
The rules are stupid, but it is the rules
Basically anywhere outside of your hotel room, masks are mandatory, you can remove them while eating and drinking,  the beach and pools and doing vigorous exercise.
The reality is if you’re walking on a sidewalk by yourself, everyone pulls their mask down and put them on if the pass anyone
If your walking at any hotel or business, they have to enforce the mask mandates or risk getting shut down by the county for failure to comply with the emergency rules.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By supercomp:
The rules are stupid, but it is the rules
Basically anywhere outside of your hotel room, masks are mandatory, you can remove them while eating and drinking,  the beach and pools and doing vigorous exercise.
The reality is if you’re walking on a sidewalk by yourself, everyone pulls their mask down and put them on if the pass anyone
If your walking at any hotel or business, they have to enforce the mask mandates or risk getting shut down by the county for failure to comply with the emergency rules.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. As far as restaurants go are people literally keeping them on until the food gets to the table or do they pretty just come off once you sit down?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I can only speak for Maui, as soon as you sit down, most people take their masks off
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:26:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Is this still the case in Maui?  Headed there in a week or so and wondering what the latest is?  Still masks a even with the cdc info this last week?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:39:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Nothings changed
Our governor and mayor are both fucking idiots, the Lt. Gov is a emergency room DR and when Xiden announced it, he basically said it’s about time
But our dear leader said how dare you demand freedom
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Correct me if my estimate is wrong Hawaii locals, but I figure it will take at least a few years before I can take a normal vacation to Hawaii like in the pre-covid days. It is gonna take a while for restaurants and businesses that went under to get new owners to restart them. Looking at Hawaii local media and discussion forums, it seems a lot of Hawaiians are all in with mask everywhere orders and heavy handed police enforcement of them. I want to visit Maui, the Big Island, and Pearl Harbor, but I am not going to spend thousands of dollars on a vacation where I have to wear a face diaper everywhere and deal with a confusing patchwork of covid measures and rules. I understand tourism is a touchy subject in Hawaii due to the takeover by the US, but until Hawaii diversifies its economy more, depending on tourist dollars is gonna be a thing. I spent 10 days on Kauai in December 2019 before covid hit- impeccable timing. I was sad to see that Kauai Chop Suey closed down years ago, that place served the best chinese food!
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 2:03:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Like everywhere else the vocal minority gets the attention
On maui 40-60% of people directly work in the tourist industry, not just hotel, but also restaurants, shops, and tours
The rest work in government, retail, industry and agriculture, plus we got a huge FSA population
The anti-tourist sentiment is primarily in the 2nd group, especially among the FSA, what those idiots don’t realize is it doesn’t matter where you work, everything is paid for by tourist dollars. They may not work at a hotel, but their customer do.

We also have a huge population of mainlanders who moved here and bought their slice of paradise and now want to slam the door shut behind them
They’re anti development, have shut down almost all big farms, sugarcane is gone, pineapple is a fraction of what it used to be, they’ve drove up the price of real estate to beyond retarded and constantly say how they did thing better in Cali.
After they ruined their state so badly they left, now they want to fuck up mine
A large part of the animosity the locals feel are because of them, also the majority of tourist are nice and respectful, unfortunately there’s always a bunch act like they own the place and are assholes, back before cellphone they’d get lickn, now they just spit in their food
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 2:10:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Update to the mask policy
Our idiot dear leader just proclaimed no mask required outdoors
Indoors masks are still required
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#12]
At least some of the stupidity is fading.  I read they may be shutting down the new arrival on-site testing in July.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe sooner
Out of 60k tests, they were only 2 positive
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:09:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Flew into HNL today. Got the test back home and uploaded it to the state site per the instructions. You get a QR code.  Airport is pretty busy - maybe 70-80% of what I recall it being a few years back, but that’s just my guess. After you get your bag you wait in line for about 30 minutes for them to check your QR code and give you a slip of paper. .gov at its finest.

We had a cab pre-arranged for the short ride to our hotel. Wife pulled up Uber and it was $88 instead of the $25 we paid. Driver said everything is crazy expensive these days.  We tried to find a happy hour place but most places seem to have very limited seating and the lines were out the doors. Good news is almost no one on the beach is wearing a mask and only 30-40% of folks outside on the streets are. This is all in the touristy parts of Ala Moana.  Lovely to be back in Hawaii - the ocean doesn’t give a rip about human foibles.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:24:53 AM EDT
[#15]
good to hear

going back in october for our 25th  --we spent our honeymoon there so kinda had ta go back...

hopefully the .gov tardness goes down by then
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top