Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2019 10:32:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2019 2:33:41 PM EDT by AR-fan]
I'm in the U.S. and want to try to convert my 6.5 Grendel to manual operation. I know this sounds strange when I can legally own a semi-auto but I'm the problem -- a bit old and disabled. I don't want to have to hunt for my brass when in the field since it can just disappear in the tall grass and weeds. I changed my upper to a side charger but the fired 6.5 Grendel case is somewhat straight and develops a bit more pressure than the .223 round and I can't manually eject a fired case. One of you fellows, that worked with your style of manual operation, had designed a system to break tight or stuck fired cases from the chamber using the modified manual operating system. I read this in the UK Hometown forum many years ago. I wish I could remember the fellow's name -- he did some really nice work on the manual design and had mentioned the special design only once or twice. I was hoping that somebody here might know how it worked and could explain it to me. The fellow that came up with the design was a really nice guy that always answered my questions and answered with great detail.

Thanks for any and all help,
Charlie (AR-fan)
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 4:50:51 AM EDT
Most likely Peter Sarony of Armalon. His conversion had a cam type system to help unlock but it did place the bolt handle quite far forward (IIRC in front of the eject port - especially awkward to use prone).

Polishing the chamber might help.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 8:10:32 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Scope-eye:
Most likely Peter Sarony of Armalon. His conversion had a cam type system to help unlock but it did place the bolt handle quite far forward (IIRC in front of the eject port - especially awkward to use prone).

Polishing the chamber might help.
View Quote
I wonder if Peter Sarony is the fellow I remember. The description of the operation using a cam type action sounds correct. He probably has the design copy righted so can't tell me how it works. Thanks for helping me out.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 5:37:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2019 5:41:14 AM EDT by Scope-eye]
It was similar to the way the cadet GP rifle (L98) operated but the other way up.

OPEN

CLOSED

IIRC the handle was attached directly to the carrier and a lug was fitted to the receiver above the eject port. This allowed the handle to fall lower. It just gave a bit of leverage to the opening operation.
It has been a while since I saw one and never actually used one myself.

ETA: Just found a picture of the Armalon EasyCam for your viewing pleasure. Not quite as I remembered it.

Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:33:22 AM EDT
It was similar to the way the cadet GP rifle (L98) operated but the other way up.

OPEN
https://www.rifleman.org.uk/Images/Enfield_Cadet_RHS_breech_open.gif
CLOSED
http://armamentresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2WM-5.jpg

IIRC the handle was attached directly to the carrier and a lug was fitted to the receiver above the eject port. This allowed the handle to fall lower. It just gave a bit of leverage to the opening operation.
It has been a while since I saw one and never actually used one myself.

ETA: Just found a picture of the Armalon EasyCam for your viewing pleasure. Not quite as I remembered it.

https://www.gunmart.net/images/uploads/access/320-F.JPG
View Quote
Good grief, that looks hideous. If I were to try a system like that I think I would go with the Enfield Cadet variety. This makes me wonder if I should just leave the AR with gas operation and go buy a nice bolt action. Many thanks for those pictures Scope-eye, they really explain exactly what that fellow had described years ago.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 5:32:36 AM EDT
Not the prettiest conversion and I think not the most user friendly/reliable.

Might be better off sticking to .223 and a side conversion or a bolt gun as you say.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 8:18:31 AM EDT
Not the prettiest conversion and I think not the most user friendly/reliable.

Might be better off sticking to .223 and a side conversion or a bolt gun as you say.
View Quote
You are so right! I just started working with the 6.5 Grendel and didn't realize the fired case held so tight. I'll give up on the manual operation.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 8:45:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AR-fan:

You are so right! I just started working with the 6.5 Grendel and didn't realize the fired case held so tight. I'll give up on the manual operation.
View Quote
I just can't stop thinking about trying that lever type action on an old receiver I converted to a side charger a long time ago. It's not that nice looking so it won't hurt to try. I just don't want to give up on something so quickly.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:13:18 PM EDT
Mate of mine had a 6.5 straight pull, pulled the rims off a few cases.
He's since passed away so no idea where his rifle is now, but I think it was from Low Mill Ranges originally.
Top Top