Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2019 8:10:26 PM EDT
My wife wants to visit Maine on her fall break from school, so we will be coming up in September...………….tell me what I need to see and where I need to visit
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 7:38:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Acadia National Park.

Especially in September. Leaves are turning and tourists (the crowds) are mostly gone.

Will you be driving up or flying in? Duration of stay?
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Acadia National Park.

Especially in September. Leaves are turning and tourists (the crowds) are mostly gone.

View Quote
Flying in from Georgia...………...probably staying about a week. I know that isn't much time, but I want to pack it as full as I can
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Acadia National Park.

View Quote
Lol This.  Acadia is great.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Lol This.  Acadia is great.
View Quote
For someone from away that has a week or so to visit and get a taste of Maine? No question.
September IMHO is the best month for it too, hands down. Decent temps, typically dry weather. No mud. The foliage beginning. Tourist crowds waning to gone but all the businesses still open. Black flies and mosquitos are but a memory from Spring.

OP, you and your bride will love it. Some of the prettiest places I know to visit, and when it's closer to your visit, check back in here and we'll give you some finer points and recommendations if you like.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Flying into Portland or Bangor?
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies....... more than likely flying into Bangor......... we have also talked about extending the stay a bit and renting a car to drive over into Vermont and NH, if time permits
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Easternmost point of CONUS is ~100 from BGR.
Arcadia is pretty cool but major tourist trap.
If leaves are turning Rt 9 to Calais is a pretty drive.
Can visit St Stephens, NB but should have passport.
Rt1 south, back down the coast, has some neat little towns.
Lots of hiking trails & ATV trails in eastern ME.
If you head "downeast" IM me.. Cold beer on me
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Easternmost point of CONUS is ~100 from BGR.
Arcadia is pretty cool but major tourist trap.
Rt1 south, back down the coast, has some neat little towns.
Lots of hiking trails & ATV trails in eastern ME.
If you head "downeast" IM me.. Cold beer on me
View Quote
I’ll keep that in mind....... always up for meeting fellow Arfcommers
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#9]
You really cant go wrong with any place up here,  little humble brag

Our last 2 anniversaries we’ve stayed in state. This year we’re going to the white mountains.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want to do the coast - I agree with Acadia.

Check out Colonial Gables in Belfast for a place to stay.  Cool little cabins, right on the beach (private beach).  We go yearly.  It's great.

My wife and I are flying to GA in Sept.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
The blue board and tar paper houses in Washington County really set off the color of the fall leaves - good contrast.  

Oh yeah...  Canada.  Gross.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you want to do the coast - I agree with Acadia.

Check out Colonial Gables in Belfast for a place to stay.  Cool little cabins, right on the beach (private beach).  We go yearly.  It's great.

My wife and I are flying to GA in Sept.  
View Quote
Where in Ga are you headed?
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Welcome.

Renting a car in Bangor, Maine in September...perfect.

1.) Acadia National Park. Breathtaking. Take the light-house cruise excursion in Bar Harbor, worth every penny.

2.) Fletcher's Hill Stockton Springs; this is Sylvan Street and Church Street  Free and breathtaking views of Stockton Harbor and Penobscot Bay.

3.) Camden Hills State Park. Amazing views of Camden Harbor and Knox County countryside. Watch the sailboats of all configurations up there.

4.) Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory. This is a tiny town called Prospect. Visit the Civil War era Fort Knox. The Bridge Observatory for amazing views.

5.) Liberty Craft Brewing; Liberty, Maine. Wonderful views and overall experience.

6.) In Bangor take a few photos of Paul Bunion.

Places to avoid:

1.) Downtown Camden. In my opinion chintzy tourist-trap non-sense. Camden Hills State Park must see, but the Village, skip it.

2.) Rockland area. Again with the chintzy garbage, save your money for the micro brews and wonderful wine tours in the country away from the coast.

3.) Belfast. Not much there. I was born there, I know. Hippies flocked there in the seventies and ruined it...they own it now.

Where to eat?

Sorry to say you're on your own there. Been trying to find reliable local fare for 45 years, always hit-or-miss. People know how to cook up here but the cheap SOBs

from away who own these restaurants won't pay em enough to work in the kitchens. My advise: save your money and stick with the national chains for meals. Kinda odd, but

a small variety store called "Andy's" in Warren on Route 1 is great food at a great price and serves really good fried seafood.

Where to stay?

The internet is your friend for accommodations. The internet will almost always trick you into eating at places that don't deserve your patronage, but lodging is good.

The best thing about Maine is that there no dangerous places to avoid. Relax and explore.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The blue board and tar paper houses in Washington County really set off the color of the fall leaves - good contrast.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Route 9 is beautiful drive from Clifton to Alexander any time of year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top