Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2023 1:34:16 AM EDT
What's the scoop?

Entertaining a career opportunity here. How is housing? Recreation? Crime?
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Where are you coming from?

Housing in Oregon in general is expensive.

I mostly see the reservation side of it so crime is what i deal with. Lake Billy Chinook is great. Easy access to the mountains. Lots of outdoors activities.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 2:02:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What's the scoop?

Entertaining a career opportunity here. How is housing? Recreation? Crime?
View Quote

My buddy lives there loves it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 2:16:44 AM EDT
[#3]
It’s desolate for sure. Not the best schools up there. I’m in liberal ass bend.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Bend here.

Madras has a lot of affordable housing and property with land.

Schools suck.  

It was/still is considered a major hub for the 'drug highway' from MX.  There is a lot of hard drug use and low income.  

It is too far from many of larger cities around here.  Going to have a very limited amount of business access.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info folks. I decided to pass on the opportunity for several reasons.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#6]
In Bend too. Used to be more about outside adventures but it’s gotten really liberal. Do you go to COSSA?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 5:09:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bend here.

Madras has a lot of affordable housing and property with land.

Schools suck.  

It was/still is considered a major hub for the 'drug highway' from MX.  There is a lot of hard drug use and low income.  

It is too far from many of larger cities around here.  Going to have a very limited amount of business access.
View Quote

lol affordable housing says the guy from BEND. Just about anything in state other than Portland would be affordable by Bend standards.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

As soon as my membership is approved I'll be there often.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In Bend too. Used to be more about outside adventures but it’s gotten really liberal. Do you go to COSSA?

As soon as my membership is approved I'll be there often.

Let me know if you every want to go shoot.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm usually at cossa one day a week. Never weekends unless for an event.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me know if you every want to go shoot.

I'm usually at cossa one day a week. Never weekends unless for an event.

I usually go with a buddy on the weekend but I’m free all week.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Well I passed on the first thing but may have a shot at a different opportunity in Hood River. Awaiting some details and appreciate any other relevant insight/opinions.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Hood River is another hippy town on the Gorge.

IMHO, if you care about your rights in the future in any way don't come to OR.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well I passed on the first thing but may have a shot at a different opportunity in Hood River. Awaiting some details and appreciate any other relevant insight/opinions.
View Quote

Hood River here. I moved back in 2012 after being gone for 8 years in the Coast Guard. It’s changed a lot since I’ve grown up here. Housing is expensive and gets worse in the summertime. There’s a lot to do year round. Hunting in the area isn’t the best but there’s opportunity. Fishing is great. Camping and hiking have been taken over by the proximity to Portland. It’s grown a lot but I still drive down the road and wave at people I grew up with. Feel free to ask anything else you think of.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Appreciate the insight everyone. I accepted a job there but turns out it's actually remote. I'll have opportunities to visit, hopefully in summer with my mountain bike

Might think about relocating up there later on either way. Any good shooting areas for casual plinking or can shooting? 9mm handgun, 5.56 and .22 rifles? BLM land or established range?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Appreciate the insight everyone. I accepted a job there but turns out it's actually remote. I'll have opportunities to visit, hopefully in summer with my mountain bike

Might think about relocating up there later on either way. Any good shooting areas for casual plinking or can shooting? 9mm handgun, 5.56 and .22 rifles? BLM land or established range?
View Quote

Id probably look to the east near The Dalles for shooting.

Where you moving from?
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#20]
@wookie1562

As far as quality of life it would be hard to go wrong with anywhere in the gorge. Portland is an easy drive for anything you need that you cannot get locally. The Dalles is a little further east and housing is a little more affordable than Hood River. Unlike Hood River County, Wasco County is very much a red county. There is also a lot more public land for shooting and you'll likely have it all to yourself. If you're into hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, boating, skiing, etc it's all here. The Oregon coast is only a 3.5 hour drive on a bad day. Hot dry summers and cool dry winters (except this winter was pretty dang wet).
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@wookie1562

As far as quality of life it would be hard to go wrong with anywhere in the gorge. Portland is an easy drive for anything you need that you cannot get locally. The Dalles is a little further east and housing is a little more affordable than Hood River. Unlike Hood River County, Wasco County is very much a red county. There is also a lot more public land for shooting and you'll likely have it all to yourself. If you're into hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, boating, skiing, etc it's all here. The Oregon coast is only a 3.5 hour drive on a bad day. Hot dry summers and cool dry winters (except this winter was pretty dang wet).
View Quote

It was a wet winter all over the place! Feels like we went straight from "too rainy for chores" to "too hot for chores"

I'm hoping to arrange a visit soon and will check out your recommendations.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It was a wet winter all over the place! Feels like we went straight from "too rainy for chores" to "too hot for chores"

I'm hoping to arrange a visit soon and will check out your recommendations.
View Quote

Shoot me an IM if you end up in the area or need anything.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I’m a gorge resident. Have lived on both sides. The Washington side is a better bet except for the gun laws (Oregon not far behind). Less (still plenty) of tourists from Portland. Stronger communities. But I just sold a property in Klickitat county, and will be turning my residence into a rental and leaving to the Mountain west within a year. Will come back to fish the Salmon runs. The hunting here has gone so far downhill in the past 15 years and I’m sick of all the tourists during the summer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top