Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2019 1:51:48 PM EDT

Trucks in Tok and camper is less than half a mile downhill from the US border checkpoint. Made it to Fairbanks in the Uhaul/car to get parts, gotta love it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#1]
This sounds like a good time! Get squared away yet?
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:37:38 PM EDT
[#2]
That is better than I faced while driving down the Cassier ~25 years ago in December.

About 50 miles down the Cassier, I noticed my headlights getting dim when my tape deck no longer worked.  I realized my alternator had died, and the battery was going fast.  Blood ran cold, and I turned off the heater, all the lights, and turned around.

I turned back north, and drove by starlight.  I pulled into the gas station by the weigh station and shut off my truck.  I opened the door, and the interior light was a little dim orange glow...

I bought a replacement alternator that would sorta fit, at 3x normal price in Watson.

I replaced it at -40, no gloves and wearing only a foul weather jacket. The gas station owner helped me get my truck started, and after a quick drive to Watson to test it (and get my core deposit back), I was on my way south again.

I still think about it.  You can/could drive the whole length of the highway in December without encountering another vehicle...
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 11:35:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This sounds like a good time! Get squared away yet?
View Quote
Yeah, trip back was easy peasy, part swapped in 45 minutes and off I went. Signed into Ft Wainwright with no more issues.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#4]
They didn't sell the parts in Delta or did you have to get to Wainwright to check in?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They didn't sell the parts in Delta or did you have to get to Wainwright to check in?
View Quote
Nope, neither Tok Napa or delta had the part. Quicker to drive my other car into town than wait for part. Had a few days to spare getting into Wainwriggt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top