Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/1/2019 9:17:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link is not working.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The 44 page amendment is not yet on the official site.  https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2019R1/Measures/Overview/SB978
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Tomorrow at 8 a.m. there is a hearing scheduled in the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Are YOU going to be there?

It is room 50 (in the basement)
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the amendment being offered tomorrow morning.  Read it carefully if you intend to show up and speak to the committee.

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2019R1/Downloads/ProposedAmendment/14732
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Strict Liability if a gun is taken from you (not locked up) and another person is injured within two years.  Strict liability means they need prove no fault on your part.  You are liable for their injuries.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I know very little about this type of thing, but can I attend if I do not intend to testify?  I think I can make it, but I don't feel like any testimony by me would be helpful as it would likely just devolve into profanity-laced name calling toward our representatives.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I know very little about this type of thing, but can I attend if I do not intend to testify? I think I can make it, but I don't feel like any testimony by me would be helpful as it would likely just devolve into profanity-laced name calling toward our representatives.
View Quote
GO THERE! By all means--GO! It's NOW or NEVER!

MUST READ!

Here's that 44 page "Amendment"

Proposed 44 Pages
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I speed read the 44 pages. So am I correct in thinking it will require markings on finished 80% lowers, but not registration? They keep saying "pusuiant to USC-something" but the ATF has repeatedly stated those laws don't apply to non licensees.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#9]
My job responsibilities did not allow me to go, how was the turnout?  Any reports?
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Due to my daughter's car having some problems I had to take care of that morning, I was not able to make it.  But I did watch most of it live online.  Sounds like there were multiple overflow rooms needed.  Statesman Urinal says that there were "several hundred" people in attendance.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Due to my daughter's car having some problems I had to take care of that morning, I was not able to make it.  But I did watch most of it live online.  Sounds like there were multiple overflow rooms needed.  Statesman Urinal says that there were "several hundred" people in attendance.
View Quote
So was any action taken on the amendment?

Any vote in committee?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I got an email saying the bill is moving forward.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So was any action taken on the amendment?

Any vote in committee?
View Quote
They will continue to accept and (supposedly) consider written testimony supplied through today.  The vote is supposed to occur on Monday.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#14]
We need to class action sue the state if they pass this shit.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I know several people who have never owned a gun, and never thought about owning a gun, who are buying guns this weekend because of the garbage they are pulling in Salem and across the nation.  People who have been uneducated or otherwise ignorant about the once gradual, now brazen erosion of our rights are suddenly waking up.  They may be a little late to the party, but they are still welcome.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 4:02:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I guess when you went to this thing you signed in and checked if you were for or against? Anyways, on Facebook there's a page called "Stop Oregon Gun Ban" and they posted a link to the list that was posted by the state. There were 17 pages. Only 3 pages were supporters of the ban. And yet our "representatives" move forward with it. How has this happened? How do we have elected officials who vote for things that the majority of people don't want?
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I guess when you went to this thing you signed in and checked if you were for or against? Anyways, on Facebook there's a page called "Stop Oregon Gun Ban" and they posted a link to the list that was posted by the state. There were 17 pages. Only 3 pages were supporters of the ban. And yet our "representatives" move forward with it. How has this happened? How do we have elected officials who vote for things that the majority of people don't want?
View Quote
So let's assume you were a legislator.  Let's assume this bill amendment came up.  Let's assume a bunch of gun control supporters showed up and signed in, 17 pages worth, and only 3 pages were against the amendment to the bill.

Would YOU vote for the amendment because 17 pages of sign ups were gun control supporters who support the amendment of the bill?

No?

Then why would you think a gun control supporting politician, elected by her district while running on a gun control platform, would vote NO just because a bunch of liberty supporters showed up, 17 pages to 3?
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They will continue to accept and (supposedly) consider written testimony supplied through today.  The vote is supposed to occur on Monday.
View Quote
Thanks for the update crazytuco.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 5:18:46 AM EDT
[#19]
https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/gun-grabbers-get-surprise/

Gun Grabbers Get Surprise of Their Lives When Tidal Wave of Pro-2A Citizens Overwhelm Them at Anti-Gun Hearing
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 5:19:26 AM EDT
[#20]
“Onlookers and testifiers lined up well in advance of the hearings — the Senate in the morning and the House in the afternoon. And when space in the building’s largest hearing room was gone, they filled two additional hearing rooms to watch the proceedings.

“When seats were scarce in those rooms, people gathered around televisions outside the House and Senate chambers where chairs had been set up. Applause frequently broke out after a passionate testimony concluded or when a speaker made a critical point.

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/politics/2019/04/02/oregon-legislature-senate-bill-978-hearings-draw-hundreds-capitol/3343498002/
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Evidently, it didn't work out for us.  Hope we can get this killed before it passes.  This is atrocious.

OFF link
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Not sure how this works, but OFF is supporting the idea of a republican walkout when this goes to vote as a way to combat it. They have their mailer to support republicans in doing this:
https://www.oregonfirearms.org/showtime

I wrote an email. Worth a try
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I don’t think the republicans will walk. They are in a minority. And do not want the blow back. All the local news papers TV news etc are in Portland and super liberal. They will pass something. New York’s Bloomberg bought the Democrats the election. Now he wants his payback.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don’t think the republicans will walk. They are in a minority. And do not want the blow back. All the local news papers TV news etc are in Portland and super liberal. They will pass something. New York’s Bloomberg bought the Democrats the election. Now he wants his payback.
View Quote
You're probally correct. Im not sure how not having a spine will get them anything but a minority in the future.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Sad to say. Might be true. Hard to believe that they had both houses only 10 years ago. I am emailing all off them. Maybe keep it from being too bad. Right now not even sure what’s in it or how it is to be applied? The parts about 80% lowers makes no sense. What happens when Democrats write fell good legislation
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 11:07:53 PM EDT
[#26]
In regards to the verbiage of the bill(not OFFs summary) there is a lot of wtf that I haven't seen asked yet in regards to the untraceable firearms section:

1. How can FFL transfer unfinished frame without serial number based on description if it is a felony to own said unserialized item?
2. Can't you just engrave/etch/stamp your name, location, and a serial number on any said unfinished receiver(or finished) if you are the manufacturer/finisher of existing or new ones ones( according to ATF spec, i.e. 3/16" size etc).
3. Says not applicable to items in process of manufacturing.  How can an unfinished frame NOT be in the process of being manufactured.

the way it reads, slap s/n on shit and gtg?
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 11:42:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In regards to the verbiage of the bill(not OFFs summary) there is a lot of wtf that I haven't seen asked yet in regards to the untraceable firearms section:

1. How can FFL transfer unfinished frame without serial number based on description if it is a felony to own said unserialized item?
2. Can't you just engrave/etch/stamp your name, location, and a serial number on any said unfinished receiver(or finished) if you are the manufacturer/finisher of existing or new ones ones( according to ATF spec, i.e. 3/16" size etc).
3. Says not applicable to items in process of manufacturing.  How can an unfinished frame NOT be in the process of being manufactured.

the way it reads, slap s/n on shit and gtg?
View Quote
I read it and thought the same things. I was thinking you would have to destroy all 80% lowers, but the way I'm reading I *think* they just want you to engrave your name, city, state and a serial? They also mention record keeping. They also keep referring to "USC-whatever" I'm assuming that is the ATF/gun control act regulations for the specs for engraving, but ATF has pointed out that that doesn't apply to private citizens for personal use, so....?
How can these people be so stupid? Hopefully they just let people engrave their own name on their home made guns and be done with it. Hopefully it just doesn't pass.
What constitutes an "unfinished frame"? I can build an AR or AK out of sheet metal or a block of aluminum. A guy made an AK out of an old shovel just to prove it could be done. So it sounds to me like if a piece of metal looks like a firearm I have to go through a dealer, but I'd still be able to buy a block of aluminum at a steel yard and mill it out, but I'll just have to put my name, city, state and a serial number. Do I have to take the block to a ffl to have him do a background on me?
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 11:48:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Who's name do you engrave on a pre-'68 firearm that didn't have a manufacturers name? Because according to that verbage there is no grandfather clause.
Also look at the millions of firearms that have been inherited, brought here from out of state, bought and sold at yard sales, all untracable to the current owner, but they're worried about the hobbiest. As far as I know no 80% lower has ever been used in a crime.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 12:16:30 AM EDT
[#29]
They could of at least hired somebody that knew what they where talking about, it makes no sense.  I don't know how it works now that it's at this point, can they still edit it?  I hope not and the judges see that and toss it, if that's a possibility.

eta I think there was at least 1 semi high profile 'ghost' gun crime, can't remember where...thinking socal.  Probably the only reason it was semi high profile was because it was a 'ghost' gun.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This is the amendment being offered tomorrow morning.  Read it carefully if you intend to show up and speak to the committee.

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2019R1/Downloads/ProposedAmendment/14732
View Quote
Page 2, gets rid of lawsuits based on age discrimination for firearms sales.

The biggest deal is on page 35-37.  It will be a FELONY to carry into a public building.  A felony.  This INCLUDES the grounds adjacent to the building.   Can't even have a loaded gun in your car to pick up family members flying in from out of town to PDX.

It will actually be optional for local governments, so good luck knowing ahead of time whether it is a felony or not.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I cant post a link for some reason but there is an artical on KEZI about deadlines for hundred of bills being Tuesday.

SALEM, Ore. (AP) -- Hundreds of proposed bills met their demise as Oregon lawmakers turn their attention to other legislative priorities.

Lawmakers had until Tuesday to move their measures out of committee. Schedules were jam packed as committees voted on hundreds of proposals sometimes without discussion.

But not every proposal got a vote ahead of the deadline. Those that didn't are left on the cutting room floor.

Proposals abandoned for this session include a measure allowing school districts to provide firearm safety training for first graders. Another scrapped plan would have allowed marijuana consumption at festivals and certain indoor lounges.

House Speaker Tina Kotek said most of the rejected proposals were left behind because they still required more work before they could get a vote.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Ok, just to be clear, though, this bill already moved out of committee well before the deadline, right?
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Answer:

"The bill moved out of the Senate Judiciary Committee Tuesday,"
https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/politics/2019/04/15/democrat-priorities-republican-frustrations-oregon-legislature-2019/3449318002/
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Not sure how this works, but OFF is supporting the idea of a republican walkout when this goes to vote as a way to combat it. They have their mailer to support republicans in doing this:
https://www.oregonfirearms.org/showtime

I wrote an email. Worth a try
View Quote
Same link as post directly above this one:

On Wednesday and Thursday alone, the Senate Republican Office received 100 voicemails, 400 calls and more than 2,000 emails, much of it driven by a call from the Oregon Firearms Federation for Republican lawmakers to deny a quorum and halt business in the building. That call was picked up by local conservative media and quickly spread.

During the Senate's floor session Thursday, Senate Republican Leader Herman Baertschiger Jr., R-Grants Pass, suggested such a walkout might be on the table.

"We're not going to let it stand anymore. We're going to do whatever means possible to represent our constituents," Baertschiger said.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Latest email from OFF: https://www.oregonfirearms.org/omnibus-anti-gun-bill-sent-to-rules-committee

Please send respectful emails to Senator Roblan and try and get this thing killed. I just sent mine.

Edit: cleaner link
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#36]
E mail sent.

When ever I send an email to Democrats like this I try not to come off like a republican (and I was a libertarian untill recently) and I stress that in Oregon Republicans and Democrats own guns and hunt and shoot and that's true.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 12:58:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Looks like we're screwed.
Got this email mail today from off.

Gun owners have been deluging Senator Arnie Roblan with calls and emails telling him to vote against SB 978.
What follows is a typical response from his office. A careful reading reveals his game plan.
We are currently receiving over 1,000 emails a day regarding this issue, and that is not taking into account the phone calls as well. We are doing our best to work through and respond to everyone but you'll have to understand that we just don't have the capacity to respond to everyone in a timely fashion; this is why we advise folks to reach out to their respective Legislator.
Arnie is planning to vote no on this measure when it goes to the floor. Folks' time and effort regarding this issue is a bit wasted on us and would be better spent trying to persuade a third democrat to vote in opposition.
Thank you for reaching out to our office, and don't hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns.

Note that they say he is going to vote against it "on the floor."  But his office is also telling people that he plans to vote "yes" in the Rules Committee when the bill gets a "work session" there. The bill has to move out of that committee before anything can happen on the floor.  If Roblan joins the Republicans on that committee, the bill is dead. If he votes yes, the bill goes to the Senate floor where it will almost certainly pass even if Roblan votes  "no."
The plan is to vote it out of committee and then vote "no" on the floor so when this demented attack on your rights becomes law, and most of us become felons, Roblan can say "But I voted against it." Classic bait and switch.
Some people are being told by his office that if he does not promise to vote "yes" in committee, the Senate President can pull him off that committee for that one vote and replace him with another Democrat who will promise to vote "yes."  It's true, the Senate President has the power to do that. But if Roblan is truly committed to voting "no" there is no reason he should care if he is pulled off the committee for that one vote.
Roblan is playing a game hoping to convince gun owners he is not trying to turn them into felons while at the same time doing what he can to get this bill passed.

Please contact his office and tell him you don't care how he votes "on the floor" if he does not use his power to kill this bill in committee.
Roblan's Phone 503-986-1705
Roblan's Email  [email protected]

Please Note. Some people have experienced trouble emailing Roblan from the email link in alerts. If you do, please email directly from his web page.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Yes we are screwed. This one is going to have to go to the Supreme Court.

According to a very wise attorney I knew: The 2nd amendment was written to give the first amendment teeth. As soon as the politicians take your 2nd amendment rights they will go after your 1st amendment right to free speech. That is because free speech is the most dangerous thing to a politician.

None of these blood suckers has the balls to pull our teeth. They are attempting to file them down so that they are useless. Unless the Supreme Court takes the file from their hands our rights are going to become so marginalized they are worthless. With a super majority, and millions of dollars of out of state money at stake, the Democrats are going to pass this no matter what the people want. The next move is going to have to be through the courts.

Don’t tread on me!
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I pointed out in my e mail to Arnie Roblan that parts of this bill were already ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. The part that requires you to keep your gun locked up. Now they just look stupid voting for something that's illegal.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 12:04:58 AM EDT
[#40]
I called Roblan's office and told the nice staffer-lady that I would consider a "yes" vote in the committee to be a "yes" vote on the bill, regardless of how Roblan votes in the full Senate.  I added that should he vote "yes"... at any point... I would happily contribute to his recall campaign.

Roblan is a tool... this isn't the first time he's pulled tricks like this.  I'm not in his district... I have no idea how they put up with this guy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 2:35:58 AM EDT
[#41]
I keep thinking at some point they'll go to far and gun owning Democrats will finally get off their ass and vote republican. Not that that'd really be much better with all the Rino's.
I know lots of democrats who own guns, have CHLs, some are even collectors and I know one who owns registered machine guns. I've even confronted these people about why they vote Democrat. The one answer I've heard several times is "they'll never really ban guns and here's why" and then they say something like because if they actually tried to ban guns the public would uprise or something. Back during the last election one of my co-workers swore that Burny Sanders is pro gun.

The only reason these people are still in power in states like Oregon is because they haven't gone to far yet.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 2:47:36 AM EDT
[#42]
From the off e mail I quoted above:
_______
"Some people are being told by his office that if he does not promise to vote "yes" in committee, the Senate President can pull him off that committee for that one vote and replace him with another Democrat who will promise to vote "yes." It's true, the Senate President has the power to do that. "
_______
Doesn't this seem like this is not how a democracy is supposed to work? Somebody doesn't have the free will to vote how they want. They have to promise to vote one way or they won't be allowed to vote. This sounds like some communist/Nazi BS to me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Everybody should send an email referring to the Chairman as AKA: Khrushchev, anytime you do an interview, refer to him the same way, keep reminding not only him, but the public perceives him as a good communist inline with the best of the evil dictators in the past.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Snip

The only reason these people are still in power in states like Oregon is because they haven't gone to far yet.
View Quote
The reason they are in power is because the public employees union is the largest in the state. They tell their members how to vote “if they want to keep their jobs.”

Reduce the size of government and maybe the people’s will will be done. Not until then.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 1:06:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The reason they are in power is because the public employees union is the largest in the state. They tell their members how to vote “if they want to keep their jobs.”

Reduce the size of government and maybe the people’s will will be done. Not until then.
View Quote
I never could figure out why all labour unions are Democrat. The coal miners union supported Obama (iirc, maybe I'm thinking of Hillary) right up untill like the night before the election even though his platform was to literally put the coal industry out of business. How could anybody be so stupid?

I assume the lumber mill unions are Democrat here in Oregon? Right now there's another bill to end all clear cutting in Oregon, even on private property. It will be the end of the timber industry and pretty much be the end of the last source of income in this state.

Yep, vote your self out of a job.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Last week the NRA had a meeting in Harrisburg and Springfield. The biggest push was for people to contact this guy.
Attachment Attached File

He is the one that is looking like the deciding vote. Please call or email him and mention the NRA has asked people to contact him about this bill that does nothing but penalize law abiding citizens.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#47]
E mail sent.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Email sent!
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#49]
The Politicians, need to know NOW that the people are Serious about this, be respectful, be precise and be firm in your mail to them. But let them know, we are not going to take this anymore... Good Luck, your brothers and sisters in other states are right there with you!!!

Link Posted: 5/6/2019 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Off sent an email saying the republicans are walking out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top