Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2018 10:07:16 PM EDT
Decided to do a little traveling for the weekend and ended up in a Walmart in Illinois. Had previously called about the $89 H&R Pardner 12ga. I am a Missouri resident and was told they can sell to me. Got there and the clerk found the gun. Began processing it there in their system w a manager. As they did the prebackground stuff in the walmart system, it notified them that walmart can no longer sell firearms to Missouri residents. They showed me the screen. The Manager and Clerk were shocked and both said they had sold to MO. residents in the past.

Is this a recent change or did I miss something?
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:55:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I checked on buying a Shotgun in Indiana at a Walmart and they would not sell me the gun even though I lived in Illinois very close to state line.    Walmart constantly changes policy, I’m not surprised by anything.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:31:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Dont believe anything was passed at the state level in IL. IL law specifically calls out permission to sell longguns to contiguous states iirc.

I would assume a WM policy change but something more regional since out of staters are buying firearms (non IL/MO states) in the WM deals thread.

(430 ILCS 65/3a) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-3a)

Sec. 3a. (a) Any resident of Illinois who has obtained a firearm owner's identification card pursuant to this Act and who is not otherwise prohibited from obtaining, possessing or using a firearm may purchase or obtain a rifle or shotgun or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun in Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin or Kentucky.

(b) Any resident of Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin or Kentucky or a non-resident with a valid non-resident hunting license, who is 18 years of age or older and who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing or using a firearm, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun in Illinois.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#3]
It must be Walmart policy, because Illinois law still permits the purchase.  Owners of a few gun shops in our area are nervous and won't sell to out of state residents.

The only thing that will change for out of state residents is that beginning January 1, 2019 they will have to wait 72 hours before the rifle or shotgun is transferred to them.

In a perfect world you would be able to walk into any gun shop, make the purchase, then walk out with the firearm.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 7:32:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Would they sell you ammo ?
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 8:48:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would they sell you ammo ?
View Quote
Didn't ask about the ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top