Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 9/28/2020 9:38:56 AM EDT
Well, that was a fun 1.5 years in the fozen/rioty/burny north that is the twin cities. Wife and I are getting the heck out of dodge and coming back to IA, but this time to Des Moines. Luckily it comes with a promotion. Likely looking at the W/NW side as it seems that's the place to be. Also want access to the Ankeny Ikes and potentially ISU w/ the wife looking for a position there. Will be working on the N side (Euclid).

Will have an assigned realtor here shortly, but any areas specifically we should look into/avoid? Hoping to find a small acreage (no kids, 4 dogs), but realize the housing market is upside-down right now.

Thanks all and see you at the next non-Covid gun show raffle.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Acreage in the northwest quadrant will difficult and expensive.    Might want to consider Bondurant Altoona area.  Growing decent area.  Ankeny is on fire.  Crazy market.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Acreage in the northwest quadrant will difficult and expensive.    Might want to consider Bondurant Altoona area.  Growing decent area.  Ankeny is on fire.  Crazy market.
View Quote

10-4, thanks. That's what I'm seeing as well, ugh. Nice for selling our current home though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I just sold my Runnells home and seven acres for $500k in four days. Rural properties will be expensive and you must be ready to act quickly.

Take a look at Story & Boone Counties.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just sold my Runnells home and seven acres for $500k in four days. Rural properties will be expensive and you must be ready to act quickly.

Take a look at Story & Boone Counties.
View Quote

Story will be just as bad.  Boone maybe but that's getting to be a bit of a commute to DSM.  Maybe far west side of Dallas County.  Like west of Adel.  Anything east of there is pretty much the western burbs.

Country living in the metro area will be a challenge.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Got it.

Was the same way up here, was hoping DSM being slightly smaller might give us a shot at it, but oh well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#6]
All I can say is welcome back and good luck.

Id love to have an acreage like what I grew up on, but short of winning the lotto that aint happening anywhere in the Polk/Story area

Moved here from IL three years ago and the housing market here still blows my mind.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 10:30:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Good info, thanks Boog!
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#9]
There is some building going on in the Sheldahl area.  There were some one acre lots just south of town in Polk County.  The next best spot would be Polk city.  

kwg
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There is some building going on in the Sheldahl area.  There were some one acre lots just south of town in Polk County.  The next best spot would be Polk city.  

kwg
View Quote

Thanks again. We seem to have found a few spots in Polk City as far NW goes. Everything else seems to be on the east side. Any info on Mitchellville area? Seems to be quite a few places out that way. Good, bad, ugly?
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree with Jasper Co. I'm about two miles west of the Polk/Jasper line. At the time we bought our house the market was hot and stuff was pending the day it went for sale. Got lucky to be in a small town but not on an an acreage yet and when we do get the chance it'll more than likely be in Jasper Co.

There have been a few deals in the Mitchellville area for acreages. There was a 3 bed 2 bath with 10 acres for $359k a few months ago. It sold in a few days. They do pop up but one has to be quick.

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks again. We seem to have found a few spots in Polk City as far NW goes. Everything else seems to be on the east side. Any info on Mitchellville area? Seems to be quite a few places out that way. Good, bad, ugly?
View Quote

I probably should've read all of the replies before posting.

I'm in Mitchellville. It's quiet. One bar and grille with another family restaurant opening soon. Casey's and Dollar General and an elevator. That's about it. Quick access to I80 and bigger cities are only 10-20 minutes away that offer full amenities.

The water quality isn't great though if you're in town.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Inspector we're in the same general area as we'll be moving into the MIL's house and acreage there in Mitchellville probably next year before/after we sell our house there in Colfax.  I agree that the water in Mitchellville isn't great but it tastes better than Colfax water.  I'll type more later.
View Quote

Cool!

The water doesn't taste bad like you said but some days if you fill the tub it looks like you're brewing tea in it.

We bought a water cooler for drinking water.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Northern story co had good water.

The best. Everybody knows it, the best water... probably anywhere. Believe me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Couldn't help but read in Trump's voice.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#18]
That's the joke
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:03:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Thanks! It's on our list already

That hill has 'doze a shelf into me and shoot me up!' written all over it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Sam:  As far as ISU is concerned go slow.  We are having major budget issues due to COVID.  There is a soft hiring freeze.  No raises this year or next.  There have been a handful of layoffs.  We anticipate more.  Benefits are getting a very hard look.  Retirement contributions have been scaled back.  

Have a Plan B.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sam:  As far as ISU is concerned go slow.  We are having major budget issues due to COVID.  There is a soft hiring freeze.  No raises this year or next.  There have been a handful of layoffs.  We anticipate more.  Benefits are getting a very hard look.  Retirement contributions have been scaled back.  

Have a Plan B.
View Quote

Copy, appreciate the info, sorry to hear it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 12:14:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Good to see you coming back Sam.  Either I've missed the FB posts, or they haven't been there. I definitely missed something in you and Sarah's posts. I'm on the southside of DSM, and the wife and I have some ground 40 minutes  south. Call if I can be of assistance.  I'm not at the IAHTF often, so a call is best. 515.554.7338.

Glad to see you back in the area.

Also, your welcome to shoot at my place. Give me a holler when you get relocated.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 12:46:29 AM EDT
[#25]
One nice thing is that coming home-ish isn't what it would be if you were going home-ish to Virginia. It has made me die a little inside when I've seen what is happening there.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#26]
It's everywhere.

We looked at some new construction in Norwalk, but I don't want to listen to nail guns for the next 2 years. Every acreage we had on our list in the Mitchelville/Bondourant area was sold, usually well before we got there and left up as free advertising for the listing agent.

Right now likely get stuck in the suburbs, possibly as far out as Adel. Woo-hoo
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Good to see you coming back Sam.  Either I've missed the FB posts, or they haven't been there. I definitely missed something in you and Sarah's posts. I'm on the southside of DSM, and the wife and I have some ground 40 minutes  south. Call if I can be of assistance.  I'm not at the IAHTF often, so a call is best..

Glad to see you back in the area.

Also, your welcome to shoot at my place. Give me a holler when you get relocated.
View Quote

Will do sir! (Saved the # and redacted in case you want to delete it).
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Eastern Story or Northern Jasper might have something but you're looking at a pretty long commute to the metro.

I've known several folks over the years that wanted a place in the metro that they could shoot on.  I don't think any ever found a place.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#30]
We ended up making an offer on a cookie-cutter place in Ankeny with a small (to us) yard. Everyone will soon hate us via our 4 dogs, but so be it.

We'll get settled in and start looking for an acreage in time and hope the housing market calms down a little bit. Willing to take a 20-30k hit on the house to save 100k or even find the right acreage.

Lance, will shoot you a text. I have a ton of steel I may not have a use for up here.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Where about in Ankeny are you Sam?  Graduated from Ankeny and grew up on the S/SW outskirts of town almost in Saylorville.  Our mom passed away in July and the tag sale is this coming weekend (23-25) for her estate...let me know if there's anything in particular that you may be needing to purchase like tools, generator, snow blower, kitchen stuff, etc...
View Quote

I'm on the southeast side, just a few blocks from SouthEast elementary.  Where is your mother's tag sale at ??  I'm mostly interested in tools.

kwg
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Where about in Ankeny are you Sam?  Graduated from Ankeny and grew up on the S/SW outskirts of town almost in Saylorville.  Our mom passed away in July and the tag sale is this coming weekend (23-25) for her estate...let me know if there's anything in particular that you may be needing to purchase like tools, generator, snow blower, kitchen stuff, etc...
View Quote

NW corner. Sorry for your loss, Boog. I'm always in need of tools and stuff, but we're getting ready to go to market up here, life going to be a little wild for a while. Appreciate the offer though. Not excited to move back to the 'burbs, but am excited to be part of the IA firearms community again. Tons of shooters up here, but very little organization/community.

Now time to fire up an Ankeny Ikes application. Looks like it's only a 15 minute drive. Score.

Sam
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Welcome back Sam!  I try to avoid central Iowa at all costs these days but I do hope to see you again at some future events.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, you are the one to blame for my BRD.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Hoping you had forgot that..............................
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#38]
BLAH!  
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone have a recommendation for a safe mover?

Link Posted: 11/4/2020 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#40]
I own a safe mover like this one if you want to borrow it, flat surfaces only though.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Appreciate the offer, but I likely need a truck with a liftgate to get it off the moving truck and then it's either got to go down a set of wide stairs or around back down a hill to the walkout.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top