Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2021 4:31:07 AM EDT
A little confused on the MI handgun laws.  If one was to move to Michigan and has multiple handguns, these all need to be registered w/ the local police/sheriff?  I also read that Michigan does not have a handgun registry............trying to wrap my head around this.  Insight appreciated, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 5:35:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
A little confused on the MI handgun laws.  If one was to move to Michigan and has multiple handguns, these all need to be registered w/ the local police/sheriff?  I also read that Michigan does not have a handgun registry............trying to wrap my head around this.  Insight appreciated, thanks.
View Quote

Yes they have to be registered and yes MI has a handgun registry.  You can submit the registration to your local CLEO but they all end up going to the State Police in Lansing.  It has been told to me by the ATF (I'm an FFL), State Police and my local Sherriff's Office that it is in fact a handgun registry.  They can look you up by name and see if you have handguns (well at least if you registered them).  If you are importing them from out of state you just simply write "Imported from Wherever" in the sellers block on the form.  You can get carbon copy forms from your local law enforcement or the State Police have a .PDF version on there website.  Pistol registration and not being able to transport a rifle uncased in a vehicle even on private property are truly our only dumb gun laws here.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes they have to be registered and yes MI has a handgun registry.  You can submit the registration to your local CLEO but they all end up going to the State Police in Lansing.  It has been told to me by the ATF (I'm an FFL), State Police and my local Sherriff's Office that it is in fact a handgun registry.  They can look you up by name and see if you have handguns (well at least if you registered them).  If you are importing them from out of state you just simply write "Imported from Wherever" in the sellers block on the form.  You can get carbon copy forms from your local law enforcement or the State Police have a .PDF version on there website.  Pistol registration and not being able to transport a rifle uncased in a vehicle even on private property are truly our only dumb gun laws here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have the DNR to thank for that 1.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I can be uncased...but has to be broken down.  So an AR can be split in half.

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 227d.

(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel either of the following:
 (a) A firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:
 (i) Taken down.
 (ii) Enclosed in a case.
 (iii) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.
 (iv) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They can look you up by name and see if you have handguns (well at least if you registered them).
View Quote

OK I'll ask for "Reasons"--

What if you don't ?

What if after say living here for over 10 years you decide to do so,"Hypothetically" of course

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What if you don't ?

What if after say living here for over 10 years you decide to do so,"Hypothetically" of course

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can look you up by name and see if you have handguns (well at least if you registered them).

What if you don't ?

Then, if found out, it is a civil infraction.  Or if you have an out of state CPL, you don't have to do it anyways.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#7]
This is why I own land in the U.P., but reside across the line in WI. WI gun laws are much better.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

MSP website:https://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/ri-060_696761_7.pdf

Link Posted: 10/1/2021 11:42:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Wait I thought we weren't filling those out and sending them in ourselves because it was a felony?
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#10]
You can fill out the RI-60 yourself but it has to go in through your local LE agency.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Am I correct in that beside that handguns have to be registered, other people without a CPL cant be in possession of them either.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Am I correct in that beside that handguns have to be registered, other people without a CPL cant be in possession of them either.
View Quote

You don't have to have a CPL to own a handgun, you either have to get a purchase permit or have a CPL to buy one.  The purchase permit can be had at point of sale.  Used to have to get it from your local LEA.

Once it's owned and the registry copy has been turned in at the LEA, you have to keep your copy for 30 days.  But in no shape or form do you have to have a CPL for possession.  To carry concealed, yes.  To have at your home, hunt (open carried), to take to the range, no.

ETA: After re-reading, other people can shoot your guns with you present.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

But in no shape or form do you have to have a CPL for possession.  To carry concealed, yes.  To have at your home, hunt (open carried), to take to the range, no.

View Quote

Unless you're a non resident.  Then you do, as I understand it.  Or you need a permit to purchase, or something else similar from your home state, such as the F.O.I.D. card from IL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top