Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2021 9:25:45 PM EDT
Any MD hunters here?  I need some help.  I bow hunted a property in MD maybe 3 years ago.  Had my license all squared away.  Now I log in and the MD DNR system does not recognize my DNR ID #.  My account is still there under my email and password.  Address and phone #'s all there.  I'm trying to get a new MD hunting license and it won't let me.  It looks like I have to certify that I've had hunter education.  Well I have completed the full International Bowhunter Education Program.  Its a requirement in the Fairfax county VA Deer Management Program which I'm a part of.  Then I went to the IBEP web site and tried to pull up my account.  Nothing.  I still have the paper card from when I took the course a few years ago thank goodness.

Am I doing something wrong with the MD DNR site?  Of course I discover this after 5pm on a friday.  ??
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#1]
1) Hunter Education (aka: The Hunter Safety Course) is not the same as the bowhunting course. I have had both and used to be a MD Hunter Ed instructor. Hunter education deals with firearm safety, while the bowhunting course is more about expanding on archery's limitations and about ethics. They are not interchangeable and you will need the actual hunter education course, and because the course has been standardized nationally, MD will accept any state's certficate.

2) The MD DNR website can be a pain. Last year, I was renewing online and accidentally selected the boat fishing license, vs the personal license. This license is more expensive, but allows guests on your boat to fish without buying their own license. Great for taking people out who are from out of town, but only having a couple canoes right now, this license is not practical for me. The DNR site would not let me delete it from my shopping cart. I cleared my cookies, rebooted my machine, went to my office and tried...no joy-still stuck in there. I went to a sporting goods store and they renewed my license for me with no issues. That is my suggestion to you at this point: Take your Hunter Ed cert number and head to the nearest MD sporting good store or WalMart and let them handle it for you.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 7:18:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Check your expiration date of the safety course on the DNR site.  Make sure there’s no expiration date
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top