Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2018 12:41:27 PM EDT
Who's going?

They're going to have the Blue Angels flying this year.

I haven't seen them fly since I was about 10. I think I'm more excited about it than the kiddos are.

http://www.luke.af.mil/2018-Luke-Days/
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Most likely will be going :-)
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:42:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm going on the 16th with my Dad. Took him 2 years ago and had a great time..
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
It's been a few years.  I wanted to go last year but could not get in to VIP seating.  I no longer want to do 6-8 hours of walking and standing.  I will try again this year.  VIP info is sketchy and hard to find.

Edit.....The VIP info is now on the website.  I sprung for the middle package.  Has anyone done this before?  Details of what to expect? Info on that is sketchy.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Revived thread

Has anyone been to this before? Is there bleacher seating available to regular admission or do we need to carry in our chairs and place them somewhere for the show?

Is there a decent hotel nearby?
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Tons of hotels near since you are by spring training and cards and coyotes stadiums and along I10.  There is VIP seating for a price, but the rest is all first come first serve bring your own chair to the flightline.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 3:39:00 PM EDT
[#6]
The Blue Angels are flying overhead now doing whatever they do to warm up. Saw an F18 by by my window at work. I thought “That’s unusual. Why are navy planes here?” I’m used to seeing 16s and 35s

Then I remembered that the show is this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Details are always kinda sketchy for what is allowed to be brought on base. I've gone to the last two shows, each time with little kids. For what it's worth, I've brought a stroller once, wagon second time. Backpack loaded with drinks, food, snacks and other necessities for the kids. I wasn't given any grief for anything. However, I under-packed tremendously for fear of being turned around.

Website says factory sealed water bottles or empty containers that can be filled on site are allowed.

I'm bringing one of my sons and I'm going to bring my backpack, sunscreen, four sealed bottles of water, folding stool, snacks, camera, hearing protection and FAK.

There are plenty of hotels in close proximity. The only commuting problem you will hit will be the lines for parking. From there, walking and lots and lots of standing in line. Shade comes at a premium. If you don't get VIP seating or find a spot under a wing, or bring an umbrella, you will remain under direct sunlight throughout the duration of the show.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#9]
From my backyard....more noise than normal.

Link Posted: 3/15/2018 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Great pics!
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks.  There is an photography advantage to living near or under the base leg of their most used runway pattern.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 2:57:25 AM EDT
[#12]
any tips on when to arrive and best way to get there and parking?  are there going to be multiple rows of people stacked up viewing the show or can you spread out and pitch an umbrella?

are there static displays to see and walk around or do you just find a spot and stick to it?
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#13]
It's going to be a wait no matter what time of day you decide to go. People will amass near the taxiway but the rest of the apron is open enough to spread out. Furthermore, yes, there are many static displays. People also gather to get shade under the wings of large aircraft.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#14]
My wife and I are going Saturday and I sprung for the $38 tickets so we can hang out under the cheap tent on the flightline.  I understand there will be a shitload of people, but if you see me stop and say hey and have a beer with me. I will be wearing a black Glock hat and carrying a desert tan molle type backpack. ( The only ARFCOM gear I have is a heavy lined coat)

I wish there was more information because what is provided is kinda generic. I have emailed them a couple times and they did respond the same day. One question I had was how far the entrance is from the free parking - 1 mile BTW.

You can bring a backpack or bag as long as it fits the size limits. I am brining a small pack with the camera, water, sunscreen, noise canceling earphones etc.

Does anyone know if they provide enough manpower to get people screened at the entrance or is it a huge funnel?  We are thinking about getting there @ 9am?
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, we were supposed to be there. Our youngest girl is very interested in applying to the USAFA.

Family health scare came up.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 1:07:12 AM EDT
[#17]
There’s a C-5 static display, enjoy the shade of its wings.

There will be a cool coordinated display involving jumpers from a MC-130 while F-16s and F-35s provide CAS, and a pavehawk comes in too. They broadcast the comms between the JTAC and the jets.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 12:25:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Enjoyed the show today with my family. The bus lines to get back to the parking area were INSANE! Here are some pics I captured on my iPhone.

My favorite plane of all time...

The Blue Angels...

Link Posted: 3/18/2018 12:48:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I saw a B-17 fly by today.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 2:33:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I went on Friday with my neice and sister in law.. Neice had a good time.

Crappy phone pics..

B-25 on its way over to its parking spot.

Blue Angles..

Link Posted: 3/18/2018 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#21]
We went on Saturday and overall had a good time. We arrived at 830 and jumped onto a bus and went right it. There was enough time for us to see the displays and then go take our seat for the show at 1100. The good part was that the performers were one after another and there was very little lag between them.

Now the things that linda sucked. I only saw one free water station and the booths with water wanted $3 a bottle. Food was incredibly expensive too, they wanted $12 for just a hamburger and $5 for a lemonade. I understand that is like a fair or football game or any other event, but for families that has got to be tough since they don't allow you to bring in food or drinks.

It took us two hours to get back onto a bus and back to the parking area. There was quite a funnel vs. ppl just trickling back, they all tried to get back at the same time. They really didnt give the busses priority and I understand that the PD did a shitty job directing traffic. The lines to get on the busses weren't organized at all. We spent 1.5 hours waiting in like only to get to the front and to be told it was the VIP only line. There were no signs or directions and they told us at the front of the line, not at the back where it split.

Again overall it was good given the crazy amount of people that were there. I saw so many people just standing around and not even watching the show. They could have had the Blue Angels earlier in the day and then 1/2 the crowd would have left early.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 11:54:58 PM EDT
[#22]
We also went on Saturday.  Bought a VIP package-middle one.  Big mistake, if photography is the main goal.  We arrived at the tent at 10:30 and the only seating (reserved, right?) we found had me literally with a tent pole between my legs.  I took no photos as it would have been too much of a hassle to try to pull my gear from my backpack.  The 4 or 5 rows of chairs in the front were packed so tight that the chairbacks overlapped.  Plus, at least 25% of the people and to be 250 lbs. and up.  We left the tent at 12:30.  I considered going back Sunday, but I'm too old to be doing this two days in a row.  Maybe the base received some of my payment. That being ranted, I did take a few photos today from my back yard.

Link Posted: 3/19/2018 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I went Sunday. Great show, minus the opening ceremony snafu.

Link Posted: 3/19/2018 11:08:48 PM EDT
[#24]
A few from Friday, off base

Link Posted: 3/20/2018 1:44:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the tips, my oldest daughter felt sorry for her old man and went with me.  I think she had some fun once we got there, but its a haul from the East Valley and then walking a good mile to the tarmac.

One thing I really liked was what I believe was a combination Red Bull team of plane, helicopter and jumpers (I couldn't hear the PA very well from where I was watching so unsure and they weren't on the schedule from what I could tell).  Usually find the jumpers a bit boring but they put on quite a show.  And supposedly the helicopter was the same one used in the opening scenes of Spectre which was the best part of that movie.

But like everything else in life, seemed to make more of an impact to me when I was younger.  Used to go to the shows in the Houston area every year back in mid to late 80s.  The Commemorative Air Force (back then called the Confederate Air Force) had and continues to have a large presence in Texas.  The WWII warbirds made up at least half the show and there was a full contingent of re-enactors on the ground too.  The action seemed to take place closer to the crowd, when they set off the explosions you could feel the heat smack you in the face.

well good to see some things don't change, the explosion at 15:03 definitely had more oomph than the one at Luke:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po-zIj5v-9A

also they used to do a one wheel touch and go with the B17 to simulate the actual landing of a B17 during the attack on one wheel, supposedly stopped doing it because it stressed out the airframe too much.  They recreate this in the movie Tora Tora Tora.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top