Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2023 11:13:27 AM EDT
So stripped lowers sell as "other" and you take possession same day as long as the background/phonecall cames back good.

Same applies to a fully assembled lower (no upper with it, just sold as a complete lower)?

Link Posted: 4/9/2023 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#1]
That's right on.  Even a barreled ak receiver with no FCG and furniture can transfer as other.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's right on.  Even a barreled ak receiver with no FCG and furniture can transfer as other.
View Quote
Good to know! Reason I ask I remember reading somewhere Wa was putting a stop to lowers last july. Did it get delayed or did they give up on that?
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Good to know! Reason I ask I remember reading somewhere Wa was putting a stop to lowers last july. Did it get delayed or did they give up on that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It takes effect when they spin up their home grown background check system, which hasn't happened yet
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Correct, you can go purchase a lower receiver, that is not barreled, with a standard 4473/NICS check.
No 10 day wait, walk out the door with your purchase today if the NICS background returns approved.

Shotguns with pistol grips and/ or collapsible stocks are also same day transfers. After SHB 1240 is law, they are prohibited.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep the home grown checks will be the beginning of the end.  All firearms will be require a 10 day wait per 1143 that just passed.  All firearms will be registered with the state, and be prepared to pay year registration fees and taxes on them in the near future.  Ammo will be next, and lastly pull the grandfather clause on 1240 and off we go.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#6]
If the lower has a trigger and hammer installed, I don’t think it can be an other. At least that’s what happened to me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If the lower has a trigger and hammer installed, I don’t think it can be an other. At least that’s what happened to me.
View Quote

I recently transferred a lower with a trigger and hammer installed. Went through as an other.

Under WA law it's not a firearm unless it can discharge a projectile, and without a barrel it certainly can't do that.

Private transfers of lowers in WA don't even need a background check currently. State law only requires an FFL for "firearms", and Federal law doesn't apply to transfers between residents of the same State. An FFL has to do a NICS check to comply with their license, regardless of state law, but you can privately give a lower to your buddy without an FFL (but note you can't then also give him the upper without breaking the law).

All this will change when the new background check bill goes into effect.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I recently transferred a lower with a trigger and hammer installed. Went through as an other.

Under WA law it's not a firearm unless it can discharge a projectile, and without a barrel it certainly can't do that.

Private transfers of lowers in WA don't even need a background check currently. State law only requires an FFL for "firearms", and Federal law doesn't apply to transfers between residents of the same State. An FFL has to do a NICS check to comply with their license, regardless of state law, but you can privately give a lower to your buddy without an FFL (but note you can't then also give him the upper without breaking the law).

View Quote

Good to know, I guess my FFL on JBLM didn’t know that.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your FFL sounds like an uneducated buffoon….

Especially with the other circumstances you’ve shared.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol I didn't even think about that
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Your FFL sounds like an uneducated buffoon….

Especially with the other circumstances you’ve shared.
View Quote

Two different FFL’s actually. The one on JBLM doesn’t do NFA stuff. I know, I have all the luck.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

That isn't correct at all. It doesn't matter if it has the fire control group and a stock installed, it's still an "other" under the federal and ATF definition.  "Intended to be fired from the shoulder," for long guns, or "fired with one hand," if a handgun. It can't fire at all so it's an other. It's clearly defined on the 4473, and in some of the newsletters and open letters the ATF has released over the years. They've explained this at least three times that I know of, and once had it on their Youtube channel.

The PX and BX hire just about anyone and they have been very wrong very often. I had a lady start telling me that she wouldn't sell me a pistol that was marked $500 less than it should be because I joked that if it were correct I'd buy it to sell at the store I worked for. No, sorry lady that is not a straw purchase. Just some dumbass dependa thinking she had a clue. At least the manager at that time had gone to a few of the local stores to talk to people and learn the laws, or really what laws to look up. I gave here a lot of links to the ATF, as well as some of the information I'd downloaded. No clue what the managers at either are like right now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#13]
So if I removed the furniture and FCG from a MAK-90 I could sell it as a lower?
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Other". Unless your FFL is a tard.  Id remove the bolt carrier/piston assembly too
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 1:18:29 AM EDT
[#15]
So, can I order a receiver tomorrow, have it arrive after the 1240 signing, and still have it transferred to me? Or am I SOL if it doesn't get here before the signing?

Any idea when the signing is slated to take place? Any FFLs in the Bham area that will do it if this is true?
@welpro222
@mk4dubbin

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 1:26:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So, can I order a receiver tomorrow, have it arrive after the 1240 signing, and still have it transferred to me? Or am I SOL if it doesn't get here before the signing?

Any idea when the signing is slated to take place? Any FFLs in the Bham area that will do it if this is true?
@welpro222
@mk4dubbin

Thank you.
View Quote

According to the bill it's illegal to transfer to you once the Governor signs it. According to the Democrat sponsors of the bill the FFL will be lawfully allowed to transfer so long as the BG check has passed.

They obviously have no idea what their bill actually says. Roll the dice on what your FFL will decide to do
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 2:00:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

According to the bill it's illegal to transfer to you once the Governor signs it. According to the Democrat sponsors of the bill the FFL will be lawfully allowed to transfer so long as the BG check has passed.

They obviously have no idea what their bill actually says. Roll the dice on what your FFL will decide to do
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@welpro222
@mk4dubbin

Thank you.

Well, can't say I want to take that risk, so I'll skip the future projects for when I've either relocated or there is an injunction that pauses the whole thing (no breath being held).

What is the reason for Ferguson going to this extent and Inslee and the rest of the dems being so bloodthirsty? What are they hoping to gain or get out of this? What does Ferguson think his next steps will be? Inslee isn't running again. Unless he tries for president again and burns up another $100mil of taxpayer money.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 4:10:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here's Jim Walshes input on that (stolen from another thread)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 4:41:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What is the reason for Ferguson going to this extent and Inslee and the rest of the dems being so bloodthirsty? What are they hoping to gain or get out of this? What does Ferguson think his next steps will be? Inslee isn't running again. Unless he tries for president again and burns up another $100mil of taxpayer money.
View Quote

The only real answer is they hate us
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

That one's a toss up. Some FFLs will transfer barreled AK receivers as others while some transfer as rifles. I believe the latter is correct but you may get lucky.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

They have far more nefarious things planned for you and communists don’t like when the opposition has the means to fight back. They pass bills to tax you to death and Alice off the genitals of children. Imagine what ideas they have that they haven’t shared with you yet
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top