Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2022 1:03:39 AM EDT
https://www.wdrb.com/news/metro-council-passes-ordinance-making-random-gunfire-illegal-in-louisville/article_4bad1bd8-a656-11ec-bcd8-e3756def900f.html

I am looking for the actual ordinance, having not read it since it was proposed.

From the article:
Metro Council on Thursday voted to pass an ordinance that would make it illegal to discharge a firearm in the city if it's within 300 feet of a public road or alley, or in the direction of a building with people inside.

The ordinance makes randomly firing a gun in the city a Class A misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail. It's something Louisville Metro Police Chief Erika Shields has called a "safety control measure."

I have been told by the ordinance's sponsor that because celebratory gunfire results in "no victims" (except for the folks they bring out who were shot by bullets) and no suspects are ever charged, for whatever reason even under Wanton Endangerment, this ordinance is necessary. I do not believe that.

"Right now, the way the state law is, our cases are not taken forward unless we have a victim," she said. "So if we're getting ShotSpotter hits that we have gunfire in an area, we go out, someone's shooting a gun, there's not a victim, that's not chargeable."

Exceptions to the ordinance would be made under the following circumstances:

When defending persons or property
   By peace officers, military personnel, or similar officers in the execution of their official duties and during training
   Within a properly zoned and constructed indoor firing range
   When legally hunting on at least five contiguous acres of open land
   When engaged in target shooting, skeet shooting or sport shooting.

I wonder if pest control falls under defending property
What constitutes target shooting and is it separate from needing zoning for a range? The Code Enforcement Board in Louisville has used its authority to shut down businesses and theoretically (and may have actually done) evicting people from their homes for things like tall grass and junk cars in yards, or criminal acts (like drug deals) done on a private property (without consent or knowledge of the owner). I suspect the CEB could use its authority to deny permits easily
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
One more opportunity for a hostile administration to harass and prosecute gun owners that have harmed no one.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Zero impact on me.

So before this passed. I could legally drop a burst out of my ak into the air and as long as no one reports getting hit a cop can't do anything but politely ask me to stop?
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Wasn't it already illegal to discharge a firearm in the city (now metro) limits?

I know, lets make another law making discharging a firearm illegal, that will do it!
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:32:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wasn't it already illegal to discharge a firearm in the city (now metro) limits?

I know, lets make another law making discharging a firearm illegal, that will do it!
View Quote

No that died with metro county takeover I believe
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:35:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One more opportunity for a hostile administration to harass and prosecute gun owners that have harmed no one.
View Quote

I can't like this enough.

This for sure will make criminals think again before shooting someone or having a gun fight.
"What about the metro ordinance"

Now it'll be used against the gun owner taking out trash pandas or other rodents in a safe humane manor.

This is exactly the reason I can't wait to leave Jeff county
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:44:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm sure this will totally stop the hood from erupting in celebratory gunfire from 6pm to 6am on the 4th of July or New Years... or every other weekend.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Deleted
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#8]
If they really wanted to curb the problem, they should simply make shooting people illegal.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Just put a target out. Shoot at will as long as the backstop is solid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top