Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/28/2021 10:06:18 PM EDT
https://www.ammoland.com/2021/04/louisiana-considers-constitutional-carry-in-2021-sb118-passes-senate-committee/

We need to pound on our Senators and Reps. The tool Edwards said he will veto. Thanks to all the fools that voted for him. We need to pick off a few libtards for a veto proof majority.

https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2021/04/23/louisiana-governor-says-hell-veto-constitutional-carry-bill-n44117

Hit them hard hit them often.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I was there, we had about 100 people and took up all the seats. The moms demand action loonies had to stand out in the hall.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chibajoe:
I was there, we had about 100 people and took up all the seats. The moms demand action loonies had to stand out in the hall.
View Quote

That's good to hear and thank you to all the folks that showed up. Now lets hope we can get the independents or a couple of libs to come to their senses.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 2:08:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chibajoe] [#3]
Originally Posted By MikeS369:

That's good to hear and thank you to all the folks that showed up. Now lets hope we can get the independents or a couple of libs to come to their senses.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Surprisingly enough, the libertarians were there testifying in favor of the bills.  It's going to be a hard sell, however, because LE was vocally against us.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Very cool. I certainly hope that it passes at some point.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 5:31:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Captain_Morgan] [#5]
I’ve been pushing my legislators to vote for it, but considering JBE has already taken a veto stance on the bill, I doubt it will go through.

Read through this thread for some info on the veto process in LA (near bottom of page 2). Essentially, once a veto is issued, there are time limits that very well could help prevent the legislature from pushing it through. My guess is that the veto is signed so that the legislature vote would occur after the end of the session such that they chose not to have a veto override session.

I think the ONLY reason we are seeing the support in the legislature that we have is because they know it won’t pass but they still get that “pro-2nd” notch in their belt for future pandering to our base.

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/politics/constitutional-carry-passed-senate/96139058/

I guess I’m a bit of a pessimist.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Captain_Morgan:
I’ve been pushing my legislators to vote for it, but considering JBE has already taken a veto stance on the bill, I doubt it will go through.

Read through this thread for some info on the veto process in LA (near bottom of page 2). Essentially, once a veto is issued, there are time limits that very well could help prevent the legislature from pushing it through. My guess is that the veto is signed so that the legislature vote would occur after the end of the session such that they chose not to have a veto override session.

I think the ONLY reason we are seeing the support in the legislature that we have is because they know it won’t pass but they still get that “pro-2nd” notch in their belt for future pandering to our base.

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/politics/constitutional-carry-passed-senate/96139058/

I guess I’m a bit of a pessimist.
View Quote

I don't know, there were a lot of serious people there talking serious stuff for it to be just a dog and pony show.  I think Morris is serious about getting it passed, and (on the face of it, at least) he seems politically astute enough to not waste the capitol unless he knows it has a good chance to pass.  He was pissed McCormick brought up a competing bill (HB16).
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 4:49:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeS369] [#7]
Email from Danny McCormick

UPDATE
HB16: The People's Constitutional Carry Bill

HB16 was heard in committee this week. We made flight arrangements for Dr. John Lott, Jr. to testify in favor. He is an economist and world-recognized expert on guns and crime who recently served in the Trump Administration as Senior Advisor for Research and Statistics for the US Dept. of Justice.

Dr. Lott arrived ready to share a plethora of information with us, but the debate quickly turned personal and it was quite unfortunate.
HB16 was killed by an 8-4 vote.

We had no warning of the political animosity we would walk into during that hearing, BUT, I will not be wasting my energy on the negative. There are more important things going on, including the fight for liberty in Louisiana!

WHAT’S NEXT? There are two remaining bills [SB118 and HB596] in play that contain language similar to HB16. I will work to ensure those bills continue successfully and reflect Constitutional Carry.

I am encouraging Louisiana’s 2nd Amendment supporters to continue pushing for a true Constitutional Carry bill!!

As Ronald Reagan once said, “There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.”

Now is NOT the time to back down!! We can still make 2021 the year Louisiana becomes a Constitutional Carry state!  

#mccormick4la

Seriously wtf is wrong with republicans?
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Email from Danny McCormick

UPDATE
HB16: The People's Constitutional Carry Bill

HB16 was heard in committee this week. We made flight arrangements for Dr. John Lott, Jr. to testify in favor. He is an economist and world-recognized expert on guns and crime who recently served in the Trump Administration as Senior Advisor for Research and Statistics for the US Dept. of Justice.

Dr. Lott arrived ready to share a plethora of information with us, but the debate quickly turned personal and it was quite unfortunate.
HB16 was killed by an 8-4 vote.

We had no warning of the political animosity we would walk into during that hearing, BUT, I will not be wasting my energy on the negative. There are more important things going on, including the fight for liberty in Louisiana!

WHAT’S NEXT? There are two remaining bills [SB118 and HB596] in play that contain language similar to HB16. I will work to ensure those bills continue successfully and reflect Constitutional Carry.

I am encouraging Louisiana’s 2nd Amendment supporters to continue pushing for a true Constitutional Carry bill!!

As Ronald Reagan once said, “There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.”

Now is NOT the time to back down!! We can still make 2021 the year Louisiana becomes a Constitutional Carry state!  

#mccormick4la

Seriously wtf is wrong with republicans?
View Quote

I got the impression that McCormick was the problem.  The only real difference between his bill and Morris' was the age and no provision for training.  Morris put the training provision in there as an olive branch, since that seems to be the thing cops seemed to have a big problem with.  The McCormick bill had absolutely no chance to pass, but he brought it up for vote anyway, even though he (and Dr. Lott) would have been more useful supporting SB118.  As for him claiming to be blindsided, I doubt that: he was super nervous up at the table, and knew Morris was pissed.  I'll bet he didn't clue Dr. Lott in on the political infighting either, which is a shame since his testimony could have been more helpful had it been allied with the less antagonistic bill.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I see HB596 is scheduled for floor debate tomorrow. Hit your reps.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#10]

I got the impression that McCormick was the problem.  The only real difference between his bill and Morris' was the age and no provision for training.  Morris put the training provision in there as an olive branch, since that seems to be the thing cops seemed to have a big problem with.  The McCormick bill had absolutely no chance to pass, but he brought it up for vote anyway, even though he (and Dr. Lott) would have been more useful supporting SB118.  As for him claiming to be blindsided, I doubt that: he was super nervous up at the table, and knew Morris was pissed.  I'll bet he didn't clue Dr. Lott in on the political infighting either, which is a shame since his testimony could have been more helpful had it been allied with the less antagonistic bill.
View Quote

That is what it sounds like to me and if that is the case McCormick is being a tool. Hell the training provision is for no cost voluntary online training. A 1 hour course you are not required to take.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:44:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeS369] [#11]
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#12]
That’s a hell of a majority.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Just saw on tigerdroppings HB596 passed 72-28. A veto proof majority.

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/politics/hb596-constitutional-carry-passes-house/96240960/

http://www.legis.la.gov/legis/BillInfo.aspx?&i=240570
View Quote

A veto proof majority? Help a non political person understand. Will permit-less carry pass or can Bobby Bouche’s father still kill it at his desk?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:36:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I believe the House passed bill goes to the Senate, who also passed a bill, where the two bill will be reconciled. We still have a ways to go. If a passed bill finds its way to the governor, he can and has said he will veto it. The bills that have passed in the Senate and House both passed by a veto proof majority. If the tool vetoes the bill both the Senate and House can override the veto with a super majority. We will find out who was posturing and who truly are in favor of the bill.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:00:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Captain_Morgan] [#15]
My understanding is that after a bill is vetoed, it goes back to the legislature for re-vote. The issue is that if it is vetoed late enough in the session and arrives at the legislature after a normal session ends, then the legislature has to decide if they want to reconvene and re-vote on vetoed bills. From what I read, they usually say fuck it and cancel that session, so if this thing has a chance, they need to move quick.

ETA: It looks like the regular session ends June 10.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#16]
https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2021/05/21/permitless-carry-3-n45506

Howdy from Texas.  We've been hammering our elected officials here to get Constitutional Carry passed, and are on the verge of getting it done.  At the start of the session, it was given a low chance of passing, but a huge amount of involvement from gun owners has pushed it to almost accomplished.  We have a 19 page post on the subject in the Texas board, and it's been a great place to trade off information about the bill, and how to contact reps.

Hope you guys can get it done too.  It really does make a huge difference to contact your reps about it.  Even 5-10 phone calls can move a rep on an issu
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 1stID:
https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2021/05/21/permitless-carry-3-n45506

Howdy from Texas.  We've been hammering our elected officials here to get Constitutional Carry passed, and are on the verge of getting it done.  At the start of the session, it was given a low chance of passing, but a huge amount of involvement from gun owners has pushed it to almost accomplished.  We have a 19 page post on the subject in the Texas board, and it's been a great place to trade off information about the bill, and how to contact reps.

Hope you guys can get it done too.  It really does make a huge difference to contact your reps about it.  Even 5-10 phone calls can move a rep on an issu
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#18]
There’s three weeks left in session. That’s not encouraging.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#19]
It's BEEN past time for this to happen.  Unfortunately the LEO's are staunchly against it and apparently carry a lot of weight.  They want the permit money to pad their slush funds.  Good luck and I hope it passes but I'm not holding my breath.  This is the most corrupt state in the union after all.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#20]
In almost all states, any permit money goes to the State Police agency that runs the permit, not individual agencies.  And it's always the big city chiefs, who are the hired slaves of the mayor and city council, who gas huff the most about the horror of CC.

So what's the status of CC in LA?  I read the headline that the House committee passed the SB118 bill?  What happens next - a vote by the full House on the bill?  What reps should you all contact to keep the heat on them - Speaker of the House?

CC passed the Texas Legislature today, and will be signed into law later this week or early next.  Good times.  21 states now and climbing.  C'mon LA, get it to 22.

Link Posted: 5/25/2021 12:24:37 AM EDT
[#21]
In almost all states, any permit money goes to the State Police agency that runs the permit, not individual agencies.  And it's always the big city chiefs, who are the hired slaves of the mayor and city council, who gas huff the most about the horror of CC.

So what's the status of CC in LA?  I read the headline that the House committee passed the SB118 bill?  What happens next - a vote by the full House on the bill?  What reps should you all contact to keep the heat on them - Speaker of the House?

CC passed the Texas Legislature today, and will be signed into law later this week or early next.  Good times.  21 states now and climbing.  C'mon LA, get it to 22.

View Quote

The House bill went to the Senate (the Senate also passed a bill) and I believe the 2 bills have to be reconciled. I'm not sure if a vote will need to be taken in both the Senate and House on the reconciled bill. Probably has to be a vote. When passed it goes to the Gov who will either veto it or not sign and run out the clock on the session. If he vetoes it and the session ends, the legislature can call a special session and override the veto.

My guess is the session ends and nothing happens. I just contacted my rep telling him to move on the bill that time is running out and that Texas now has Constitution Carry. Basically trying to light a fire under his ass. This is what happens when morons vote for a democrat Governor even though Louisiana is a red state.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Passed today June 1st, Jon Bel will likely wait 10 days and veto leaving no time for veto override since the session ends June 10, and the last veto override session was like 39 years ago.  So yet another waste of time from the legislature.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Did it pass with a large enough percentage to override a veto?  

If so, holler at your reps and tell them you want this overridden.  Texas is going to CC as of 1 Sep, and if we can have it here, no reason that LA can't too.

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#24]

If so, holler at your reps and tell them you want this overridden.  Texas is going to CC as of 1 Sep, and if we can have it here, no reason that LA can't too.

View Quote

Being as I live in New Orleans, my rep and Sen voted against it, so I doubt I will have much luck.  Our pretend Republican majority legislature likely engineered this so they could pretend they support it, but sent it to the governor with such a short time on the clock he can wait 10 days and veto once the session ends.  So they can't override the veto without calling a special veto session....which hasn't been done in 39 years.

No, we'll hear "oh no, we just couldn't get enough support for a veto override session to have one, oh, woe is us, but look, we totally tried to do some of the stuff we promised, but we just couldn't quite manage it."
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By scotchymcdrinkerbean:

Being as I live in New Orleans, my rep and Sen voted against it, so I doubt I will have much luck.  Our pretend Republican majority legislature likely engineered this so they could pretend they support it, but sent it to the governor with such a short time on the clock he can wait 10 days and veto once the session ends.  So they can't override the veto without calling a special veto session....which hasn't been done in 39 years.

No, we'll hear "oh no, we just couldn't get enough support for a veto override session to have one, oh, woe is us, but look, we totally tried to do some of the stuff we promised, but we just couldn't quite manage it."
View All Quotes

Sadly, this. Schexnayder and Cortez are way too friendly with Edwards to actually do anything about a veto.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#26]
https://www.katc.com/news/covering-louisiana/louisiana-lawmakers-consider-holding-veto-override-session

"BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - Gov. John Bel Edwards’ rejection of legislation banning transgender athletes from participating on school sports teams is spurring talk that Republican lawmakers may try to hold Louisiana’s first veto session under the current constitution.

Republican House Speaker Clay Schexnayder announced Tuesday night that he wants such a mid-July session.

That gives the possibility of the historic gathering some momentum.

But GOP Senate President Page Cortez hasn’t taken a public position, which could put the chances in doubt. Louisiana’s constitution automatically sets a veto session when a governor jettisons legislation.

However, it only takes a majority written vote of lawmakers in either the House or Senate to stop the session."

Looks like there is still a little hope.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#27]
He hasn't vetoed it yet.  If he doesn't veto it after 20 days, it automatically becomes law.  

Section 18.(A)  Gubernatorial Action.  If the governor does not approve a bill, he may veto it.  A bill, except a joint resolution, shall become law if the governor signs it or if he fails to sign or veto it within ten days after delivery to him if the legislature is in session on the tenth day after such delivery, or within twenty days after delivery if the tenth day after delivery occurs after the legislature is adjourned.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#28]
He hasn't vetoed it yet.  If he doesn't veto it after 20 days, it automatically becomes law.  

View Quote

Interesting. I thought he had vetoed it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't know what's going on. On the 22nd they said he had 2 more days to sign it or veto it...
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
I don't know what's going on. On the 22nd they said he had 2 more days to sign it or veto it...
View Quote

He signed the veto today. Everyone needs to start pounding on their reps and senators and also pound on Paige Cortez and Clay Schexnayder.

[email protected]

[email protected]
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 8:33:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bestiller] [#31]
There’s a good possibility of a veto override session. Email and call your state senators and representatives.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 2:38:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Hope Y'all can get his Veto Over Ridden.

Sucks to have come so close, and have a Democrat muck it all up ...

Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi  Y'all are becoming the "Odd Duck Out" ...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:

Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi  Y'all are becoming the "Odd Duck Out" ...

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

If we can get a veto override session, the votes ought to be there.

Count on a Democrat to fuck with a person's right to defend themselves, every damned time...
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

Works in our favor that Edwards also vetoed the ban on transgender athletes competing in girl’s sports. There’s a ton of backlash over that as well. Edwards revealed exactly what he is, a liberal Democratic. Hopefully we will have a veto override session around July 20 and stop this sh*t.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#35]
If you live in Kenner, or identify as someone who lives in Kenner, give Rep. Joe Stagni a call and urge him to vote to overthrow the veto.

(504) 465-3479.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 5:50:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeS369] [#36]
Keep on contacting them. Schexnayder seems to have caved and now supports the override session.

"The Louisiana Republican Party is urging the public to contact their local legislators and push for a veto session to override Governor Edwards’ veto of a bill that would prohibit transgender athletes from participating in girls’ sports. House Speaker Clay Schexnayder says it’s a worthy cause.

“I know many of the legislators that I sat down with and talked to are passionate about this, not just the veto, the bill itself,” said Schexnayder.

The governor could also veto two other high-profile bills, a gun-rights bill and a transportation funding measure that would take dollars away from other parts of the budget. Schexnayder believes they could override all of the governor’s vetoes during a four-day session in the middle of July."

https://louisianaradionetwork.com/2021/06/24/house-speaker-clay-schexnayder-supports-override-veto-session/
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Yup, keep it up! Cortez is being drug along as well:

Veto Override Session Likely

Keep calling and emailing until they ACTUALLY VOTE TO OVERRRIDE, not just call the session.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:45:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chibajoe] [#38]
Looks like the veto override session is on.  Let's get this party started.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I hope they can pull it off. My guess is tranny sports ban will get the override but constitutional carry won’t. I’m worried they won’t get all the votes it got the first time around.

Regardless, I’m glad to see this thing is still alive.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Does anyone have a list of sheriffs that are supporting constitutional carry, and those opposed to it?

So far the only supporters I see are Randy Seal (Washington Parish), and Sheriff Whittington (Bossier Parish).

Haven't seen anything from Bobby Guidroz (St. Landry) or Charles Guillory (Evangeline).  These are important to me since I live and work in those parishes.

If I had to guess, Guidroz will support CC and Guillory will oppose it.

LC
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#41]
With our esteemed governor's notoriously thin skin, I imagine he's fit to be tied that the session is happening tomorrow; no doubt he's calling in all favors and debts as we speak to keep anything from actually passing. Here's hoping that the grassroots heat being turned up means we don't get 31 of the usual "Oh well, we tried" responses.

Keep up the pressure!
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 3:03:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chibajoe] [#42]
If you have a minute, drop an email to these fine people and encourage them to tell the Governor to shove his veto where the sun don't shine:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Especially Joe Stagni, who was the only Republican who didn't vote for the override session.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#43]
If you have a minute, drop an email to these fine people and encourage them to tell the Governor to shove his veto where the sun don't shine:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Especially Joe Stagni, who was the only Republican who didn't vote for the override session.
View Quote

Thanks, I just emailed all of them plus my local representative and Senator. I’m sure politics as usual will rule the day knowing Edwards, but we still have to let them know our outrage.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 11:08:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Did my part, hope it does some good.

LC
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Watching the Senate right now.....Constitutional carry looks dead, with Sen. Johns pretending his knee hurts and not there, Sen. Bernard (supposed R,) just turned his coat and regrets voting to pass it to begin with.  Now one vote short.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Watching the Senate right now.....Constitutional carry looks dead, with Sen. Johns pretending his knee hurts and not there, Sen. Bernard (supposed R,) just turned his coat and regrets voting to pass it to begin with.  Now one vote short.
View Quote
Johns, as in soon-to-be Gaming Commissioner Johns?

Link Posted: 7/20/2021 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By rttlsnkndaddy:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rttlsnkndaddy:

Yup.  Johns wasn't there, and three Rs changed their minds and voted no along with all the Ds.  23-15, and the veto stands.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#48]
We have a lot of gutless wonders in the legislature who pretend to be conservative.

LC
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Bernard, Connick, and Foil were the three who voted with the Ds on SB118, along with Johns "my knee hurts and I've never heard of wheelchairs," who stayed home.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Pathetic
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top