Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 1/31/2021 7:37:55 PM EDT
Our house is sold closing 2/10 we can rent for 6 months. Wife has decided we will be going to CA to be near our son our only living offspring she has no family I have a brother in CT and cousins scattered all over the country. She is 70 I will be 79 in April. Area she has picked is south of Palm Springs (Indio) nice over 55 community. I like to shoot long range are the any areas close to where we will be that I can shoot? If not I'll dump the guns before I move. 2 AR's I have are not CA compliant so I'll get rid of then here.
Only positives for me are , close to our son and cost of living lower than where we are now.

Now I have to figure out how to get 2 50+lb dogs and 2 cats to CA. She will not put dogs in an airplane.

My current options
Rent a one way RV
Hire a pet moving service to drive the dogs to CA we fly out with cats in carry ons.  
Rent 2 large SUVs con some people to drive them out with me and fly back.
Hope I make it to my birthday.

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:54:49 PM EDT
There's a large desert just east of there, so surely there's some sort of area where you can shoot to your heart's content.  Indio is pretty much the last major stop in civilization before you cross the desert to Blythe.

Why would you dump the ARs?  Just make them compliant.  Easy and inexpensive.  Or are they banned by name?

Lots of public land that allows shooting and a number of ranges in SoCal in general if you want to go shooting.  My favorite spot in the desert is a good drive from there, but it allows shooting to 600 yards and probably a good ways beyond if you set things up right, and there are places where shooting much farther out is possible.  The most popular spots are too crowded, too trashed, and provide too short a range to be any fun, but there are plenty of other places; the one I go to doesn't have many or any other people there most of the year.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:16:10 PM EDT
It's a dry heat.  And lots of it.  

You can shoot in a lot of the BLM land around there, and there is lots of that, too.

No hurricanes, no pythons, no invasive BIG lizards, not too many bugs.

The occasional earthquake, most are pretty mild and you'll get used to them.

The desert has it's own unique beauty, especially is spring wildflower season.  But in the summer, it can kill you, listen to the locals.

Check with the big national rental agencies, they might have some good deals on rental vehicles that might fit your needs.  Lot's of people relocating out in the other direction and bringing a unit back helps them out.  If you didn't have the dogs, and could use a truck, they might even pay you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:30:42 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PaDanby:
It's a dry heat.  And lots of it.  

You can shoot in a lot of the BLM land around there, and there is lots of that, too.

No hurricanes, no pythons, no invasive BIG lizards, not too many bugs.

The occasional earthquake, most are pretty mild and you'll get used to them.

The desert has it's own unique beauty, especially is spring wildflower season.  But in the summer, it can kill you, listen to the locals.

Check with the big national rental agencies, they might have some good deals on rental vehicles that might fit your needs.  Lot's of people relocating out in the other direction and bringing a unit back helps them out.  If you didn't have the dogs, and could use a truck, they might even pay you.
View Quote

Summer here with 95+ temps and the high humidity are tough step out for 10 minutes and you are sweat wet. Very uncomfortable.  Even the dogs don't don't want out.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:07:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:54:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2021 6:53:23 PM EDT by ger42]
9 MM ammo about 1,000 rounds.  
Some .38 and 45LC 500 rds
Loaded .308 , 223 AI and 6MM BR about 200 rounds
Primed only .308 , 223 AI, 223, 6MM BR about 300 cases.
About 5,000 primers.
25 lbs of power.

Rifles
Lever action in 45 LC
Single shot Savage target rifle in 6MM BR and 223 AI
Savage target rifle with 2 5 rd mags, .308
CZ 22LR 5 rd mag
Mossberg LSA 144 22lR no serial number
Ruger 10/22 10 rd mag
Remington 870 has tube extension does CA limit number of shells to stock?
Fixed stock  AR I put together nothing special
Attachment Attached File

Adj stock AR nothing special
Attachment Attached File

Pistols
Ruger Mark IV
Ruger LCRX in 9mm
Taurus 922 22LR/22MAG 9 rd
Glock 19 Just got some 10rd mags  

If we rent an RV to drive out I'll take everything but will break down the rifles and only take the receivers in the RV the rest will get boxed up for the movers.  
How do I pack the receivers and pistols for the trip in the RV?
If I fly out to our new home how I get all my stuff out to CA?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 6:39:04 PM EDT
I went form ca to az but for the ar rifles id would use the mag lock devices and deal with it.Gone will be the fast push button mag changes but you will be limited to 10 rounds they will make great long range guns.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:18:21 PM EDT
If you're retired military you can shoot at Camp Pendleton. The MCCS runs a rifle and pistol range you can shoot out to 1100m on steel. I think it's like 15 bucks for the day.

Good luck with the move.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:38:48 AM EDT
No special packing needed.  Probably locked in case and ammo separate would be best for all states. That way you are covered for all intervening states.In CA, ammo can be in case as long as not attached to the gun.

In CA long guns don't need to be in a locked case, just not loaded.  No need to break the ARs down if not configured as an "Assault Weapon."    If they are not an "Assault Weapon" as designated by CA laws no special handling required.  If they are an "Assault Weapon" then they can't be imported.  If they are an AW by name (See the DoJ pages for list of names), forget it, can't be saved.  If by configuration, breaking down to receiver and parts can be imported but only assembled in to a CA legal configuration.

Pistol must be in a locked substantial case. Something you can't just rip open.  Ammo ok in the case, just not attached to the gun.  Can't be in reach of the driver.  If you are in an RV, just put things in a cabinet in the back

Don't bring any mags over 10 rounds in.  Some people say that it's up to the prosecutor to prove you didn't possess them in CA before they were banned.  Might not be all that hard to convince a jury that since you weren't a resident back then how could you have had mags then.  Mags are cheaper than an attorney.

No real limits on shotgun tube magazines (less than 10 rounds) might be a limit when hunting.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:33:16 AM EDT
If I don't drive the guns, powder and loaded ammo into CA how can I get them in?

Do HOA have restrictions on guns
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:13:27 PM EDT
Use your movers if you aren't driving a vehicle out yourself.  They may have "rules" or other considerations about moving ammunition as it might be a hazardous material.  Not sure how a one way rental of an RV would work as to expense.  I read about crazy bargains for UHaul, etc., to return a truck to Ca so look into that.  Despite the hysterical yammering one might find about California, they aren't checking vehicles for firearms and ammunition at the border.  It's cursory at best for agricultural concerns.  A few have been popped for buying in Nevada or Arizona and rushing right back across the border from stores or shows.

Review the assault weapons definitions, noting especially the "by name" items, ask again if you think you have one.  The listings might be a little confusing.  If a firearm (not one of the by name items) is disassembled, it's not subject to the regulations, of course, re-assembly becomes it's own issue.  

I'm not aware of any HOA firearms issues.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:06:01 PM EDT
Good luck, housing market out there is through the roof. Neighbors house sold in 4 hours 80k over asking. Not a buyers market right now in the Palm Springs area
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:26:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By deputytrueblood:
Good luck, housing market out there is through the roof. Neighbors house sold in 4 hours 80k over asking. Not a buyers market right now in the Palm Springs area
View Quote

Same here I sold mine without a realtor might have gotten a higher price but would have had to pay the commission.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:40:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/6/2021 9:41:36 PM EDT by Bob-459]
Two major ways to get your AR to meet California DOJ rules.
Featureless and Locked Magazine.

Since you already have a fixed stock your part way to Featureless already.
Switch the flash suppressor for a muzzle brake or a thread protector. Add a fin to your pistol grip or swap it for a finned grip.
You'll get used to the awkward thumb placement but you get to keep your normal Magazine functions.
You can find a kit that has all 3 needed pieces to comply. fin grip. muzzle brake, stock lock bolt for $35.00

The locked magazine option comes in several flavors from ejection port loading to bottom loading magazines to Opening the upper and lower to drop the magazine.
I've installed 3 variations so far and they all suck one way or another. You get to keep your Evil bits with this set up.
Flash suppressor, Telescoping stock, Pistol grip.
The Juggernaut kit is the best of a piss poor bunch so far.

Bob-
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:25:10 AM EDT
High desert rod and gun club.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 6:06:16 PM EDT
Current plans have us flying out no way to get the powder I have out there. How about ammo any way I can legally ship it to myself?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:28:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By StevenH:
High desert rod and gun club.
View Quote

HDRGC is open to the public, and empty during the week.
Limited to about 300 yrds or so.
They offer a steel match, and  some rifle matches.

Palm Springs gun club is closer.
Downside....you have to be a member to shoot, range bay length is limited to about 100 yrds.
Attended a few USPSA and steel matches there (open to anyone) and they are friendly folks.
I've never had anyone question my non-cali legal firearms/magazine capacity when used at either place. YMMV.

For desert shooting close to you.....Box Canyon rd has plenty of wide open spaces, and is on BLM land.
A SUV will get you to a shooting spot no problem.

FWIW....I've spent some time in the area.
If it was me....I would have looked at Beaumont/Banning. This temps are cooler in the summer, and stuff like shopping/restaurants/senior centers/etc. are nearby.
There are some nice senior communities in the area. Sun Lakes country club is one of them.
But.... there are some crappy areas too. These are mostly within a few blocks along the I-10 freeway corridor, and along Ramsey, which runs parallel to the freeway.
The nicer areas are up in the foothills hills just a half mile north/south of  the freeway in either cities.

Wife's grandmother has lived in Banning for 40 years off 8th street. It's in a nicer area with homeowners that care about their homes and community, and are friendly.

Good luck on the move.

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 4:06:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2021 4:07:46 AM EDT by IdahoPCCinc]
Originally Posted By ger42:
Current plans have us flying out no way to get the powder I have out there. How about ammo any way I can legally ship it to myself?
View Quote

What ammo......

A person could load up a wooden storage crate of stuff, or a POD container, and then have the container truck shipped to your new place.

No laws against bringing reloading components that I remember during my stay in CA.

And bringing in off-roster handguns is still allowed.

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:22:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By IdahoPCCinc:

What ammo......

A person could load up a wooden storage crate of stuff, or a POD container, and then have the container truck shipped to your new place.

No laws against bringing reloading components that I remember during my stay in CA.

View Quote

No one will take a shipment with powder , ammo or primers. I might be able to sneak it through but if something happened I would not be able to buy a Big Mac.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:23:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By IdahoPCCinc:

What ammo......

View Quote

No one will take a shipment with powder , ammo or primers. I might be able to sneak it through but if something happened I would not be able to buy a Big Mac.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:28:46 PM EDT
Our closing has been pushed back to March 5th buyers are currently living out of the country and need to give her father power of attorney and where they are it has be done in the American consulate and the soonest it can be done is beginning of March.
Top Top