Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2020 8:21:34 AM EDT
Travel Nurse who works in the OR, my contract in FL cancelled early, been out of work for 2-3 weeks. Finally, elective cases are coming back and jobs are starting to show up again. I've submitted to several, but each are getting 60-80 applications. Finally got a call yesterday from Sidney, MT, had a phone interview and got the job offer. Anyone here live near that area? Seems pretty sparse, which is ok with me. We spent all last year in Northern Michigan, so we have some cold and snow experience. I was hoping to get something in the western part of the state, but with the way jobs are right now, I will take what I can get. Any info on the area will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:57:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:

Sidney is damn near in ND. I took a national EMT test there years ago and that was the last and only time I was there. I don't remember much about it to be honest with you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
Originally Posted By g8rgunner:
Travel Nurse who works in the OR, my contract in FL cancelled early, been out of work for 2-3 weeks. Finally, elective cases are coming back and jobs are starting to show up again. I've submitted to several, but each are getting 60-80 applications. Finally got a call yesterday from Sidney, MT, had a phone interview and got the job offer. Anyone here live near that area? Seems pretty sparse, which is ok with me. We spent all last year in Northern Michigan, so we have some cold and snow experience. I was hoping to get something in the western part of the state, but with the way jobs are right now, I will take what I can get. Any info on the area will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sidney is damn near in ND. I took a national EMT test there years ago and that was the last and only time I was there. I don't remember much about it to be honest with you.

Yeah, it's right at the line. Looks like Williston is the closest town of any size.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the forgotten side of the state!

Sidney is prob one of the better towns to land in. Most towns out this way are struggling pretty hard. Sidney had some good leadership with this last oil boom to help keep their heads above water.

If you like outdoors and sparseness we have plenty of that. We've been social distancing since 1889.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By tnertb:
Welcome to the forgotten side of the state!  

Sidney is prob one of the better towns to land in. Most towns out this way are struggling pretty hard. Sidney had some good leadership with this last oil boom to help keep their heads above water. 

If you like outdoors and sparseness we have plenty of that. We've been social distancing since 1889. 
View Quote

Sounds good to me. Anywhere close by to go shooting?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Not sure of the Sidney area ( I think it's been asked by another member before?)  

I'm down by Glendive and we have a public range on one end of town and BLM land south of us.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Not sure of the Sidney area ( I think it's been asked by another member before?)  

I'm down by Glendive and we have a public range on one end of town and BLM land south of us.
View Quote

I've got to learn more about the BLM land and what the rules are for using it. Nothing really like that in FL. I'm looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#7]

I've got to learn more about the BLM land and what the rules are for using it. Nothing really like that in FL. I'm looking forward to it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Not sure of the Sidney area ( I think it's been asked by another member before?)  

I'm down by Glendive and we have a public range on one end of town and BLM land south of us.

I've got to learn more about the BLM land and what the rules are for using it. Nothing really like that in FL. I'm looking forward to it.

As far as I know BLM land is good to go for shooting as long as you pack anything out that you packed in. Travel by motorized vehicles is on established roads and approved trails only.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:37:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By m1awolf:

As far as I know BLM land is good to go for shooting as long as you pack anything out that you packed in. Travel by motorized vehicles is on established roads and approved trails only.
View Quote

There's been a few places where people have been told not to shoot in any more, because too many people left it cluttered with shot up appliances, broken glass, etc.

Gophers, coyotes, and other nuisances should be found in abundance that way, if you'd rather shoot something other than static targets. I would advise you to familiarize yourself with FWPs regulated animals, so that when something crosses your sights/scope you will know if it qualifies as a non-game animal.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 3:52:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Call Google prarie travelers.  Large instate staffing.  Been with them three years now.  Good assignments lots of 13 week contracts if your interested.  Sidney is horid....
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:41:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Was there for a few weeks back in 2012. Public shooting is miles from town on the few pieces of BLM with public road access. Good catfishing on the Yellowstone River.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#11]
We're here. Haven't had much chance yet to get out and explore. We arrived Wednesday, I went to work Thursday and they have me on call my first two weekends . We should have a chance to get out and explore after that. Sidney is pretty small, but I'm ok with that. Looks like most of the closest good hiking/exploring from here will be in ND. The ND Badlands we drove through on the way here were beautiful. We saw Buffalo and lots of antelope. No big deal to you guys, but pretty cool for a Florida boy. There is a small gun shop in town, I figure they may be able to point me towards places to shoot. I hope to be able to do a weekend trip to the west, to at least some real mountains and stuff. We are hoping to be able to stay in the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming area for a while, with an eye on maybe settling somewhere permanently. If anyone has any other advise for me, I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Williston is only an hour away.

More shopping opportunities, plus airline service there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#13]
The Teddy Roosevelt park is really a hidden gem IMHO.  Be sure to visit as the seasons change.

Makoshika state park down in Glendive would be a nice day/weekend trip if you are into hiking.

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#14]
FWP Region 7

MT shooting ranges

There maybe some across the line in ND.

Sportsmans Warehouse - Williston

If you're looking for  Home Depot-type place there's a Menards just south of the Sportsmans Warehouse.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks guys. We will probably make a run to Williston soon to hit up Wal Mart and some other places. There are a couple of decent little grocery stores here, but they are kinda pricey on some stuff. Theodore Roosevelt National Park is definitely on our list. We drove through some of it on the way here and it was beautiful. I will also check out Makoshika too. We are really happy to be out here. I've wanted to go west for a long time, the travel nursing thing allows us to explore different areas and treat them like working vacations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top