Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2022 11:00:14 AM EDT
I have some vacation time coming & wanted to trailer the bikes up there & ride the dragon. Maybe check out a range nearby too. Any B&B to stay at? The plan would be to find some scenic rides coming back to Florida. Looking to head out late May early June.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can't really help out with the B&B info but I have ridden the Dragon and one thing
I can warn you about it is don't go on the weekend! it is packed with folks, some of them are riding /driving beyond
their skill level. Also there are a lot of great lessor know roads in the area. Have a great trip.
View Quote

We found a cabin for rent about 30 minutes south of the Dragon. Will be staying in the area for 3 days & 2 nights starting on Monday. My research has indicated weekends are not the best time to ride for sure.
Any suggestions on the lesser known rides?
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Cherahola skyway is a fun ride.  Ride up to Cades Cove if you have the time.  Love breakfast at Topoca lodge

Oh and stay away from my cabin

Link Posted: 2/25/2022 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Hwy 181 from Morganton to Linville has some nice curves
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hwy 181 from Morganton to Linville has some nice curves
View Quote

This right here. Took this route and went on to Elk Banner. Going to try this in my vette.
Gets a little crowded in fall when everyone is heading to Grandfather Mtn..
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Just please be considerate to others when riding the back roads in the mountains. Whenever it's possible, pull over to let faster vehicles behind you pass.

Too many folks come here to the mountains and slow way down for every curve in the road. Some of us specifically enjoy the curves.

Also, always stay inside your lane. Do not cross the center yellow line to cut a curve. Ever.  

If you do come across someone driving slow (or speeding up on straightaways then slowing down for curves), and they won't let you pass, the best thing is to pull over a while and let them go on down the road aways. About a full minute is usually good enough to create enough distance between you and them.

We are all out to enjoy the roads. Let's not ruin the fun for each other.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top