Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2020 6:32:14 PM EDT
Our only son lives in LA wife wants to be closer I refuse to live in LA. We are looking 2 -3 hrs East of LA.
What do I need to do to bring bring a
Remington 870
3 savage target rifles
Ruger LCR X 9mm
Taurus 9 shot revolver 22lr, 22MAG
S&W 686
S&W 986

What are ammo limits?
I currently have thousands of 22LR rounds a few 1,000 of 9MM and 223.
Plan to sell the AR's I have before I move.
Reloading supplies powder , brass , bullets limited?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#1]
3 hours east of LA (without traffic) is the middle of nowhere in the desert (mostly BLM and other public land, maybe Indian reservations) or the towns straddling the border between AZ and CA.  There's really not much that far out that way.  Right around 2 hours without traffic you're at the edge of the populated parts of Riverside County, like Palm Springs, Indio, etc.  Once you pass that, there's almost nothing until you hit Blythe, just before the AZ border.  There's also not a whole lot on the AZ side of the border, either.

Of course, there's lots of stuff short of 2 hours from LA that's not at all like LA, including my own area.

If you move to San Bernardino or Riverside Counties, you can get a CCW permit (LA County, forget it; Orange County is not a certainty, but it is a high probability).  The closest you'd be in those counties to LA proper is probably 40 minutes without traffic, assuming you're not a slow driver.  Traffic can make a 30 mile drive last over two hours, though, if you try to go to or from LA or other metro areas at the wrong time.

The handguns would legally-speaking need to be registered within a certain timeframe of establishing residency (I forget how long you have; never been something I needed to do myself).  You can get away with not doing it, but if you get a CCW permit, no issuing agency in SoCal will add an unregistered handgun to a permit (needed to carry the handgun) and there are enhancements to certain crimes involving firearms (like unlawful carry) if the weapon is unregistered (illegal carry can be upgraded to a felony, for example).  Also, pretty much no chance of getting an unregistered firearm back from LE if it ends up in their custody for any reason; then again, even registration is not enough.  They want original receipts and crap like that for you to even have a chance at getting it back.  Not sure if long guns also need to be registered now when you move here.  That may have been required from 2014 onwards.

You can bring the ARs if you want if they are not on the Roberti-Roos and AR series ban lists exactly by both make and model and you make them CA-legal in terms of configuration. Fixed ten-round (or less) mag, meaning in this case that the mag cannot be removed without disassembly of the action, including pivoting the action open is an option for rifles, mandatory for pistols and AOWs.  Featureless an option for rifles.  Detachable mag, but has no flash suppressor, grenade or flare launcher, folding or collapsible stock, pistol grip, forward pistol or angled grip, or thumbhole stock.  Can't legally bring in the hi-cap mags, but realistically you can get away with it under the present circumstances.  You have the option of blocking them to ten rounds before bringing them in to make them legal.  Ammo shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#3]
How about in the mountains around Big Bear Lake or up in the Wrightwood area?  You'll get relief from the summertime heat of the lower altitudes and the mountains are pretty much smog free.  There's the West End Gun Club in the area.  Camp Pendleton is easily accessible to the south of there.

LA is funny, saying 2-3 hours in a car can be 20 miles or 200 miles, it all depends upon traffic.  Life in this place is dominated by traffic in a way I have never before seen.

The firearms you list should all be okay, just be sure not to bring any magazines that can hold more than ten rounds (ten=okay, eleven=bad!).

The AR's are likely okay but we need more info to assess.  They sell AR's out here and almost everyone has one (or more,... some many more ).
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 3:04:05 AM EDT
[#4]
OP - are referring to the actual city of Los Angeles/downtown, Los Angeles county or LA basin when you say you refuse to live in “LA” and want to be 2-3 hours East?  As others have said that’s a huge target that needs to be narrowed down.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:18:22 PM EDT
[#5]
2-3 hours WITH traffic puts you in Riverside. 2-3 hours without traffic puts you in Arizona
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:25:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:55:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Riverside and San Bernadino has a lot of ghetto areas. I would say go a little south towards Diamond Bar, Chino Hills or Yorba Linda. The 60 freeway sucks ass though. 5 is old and bad. Most of the east west freeways are bad in high population areas.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think OP got skeered away from all this talk.

Let us know what your plans are and we can help you out OP.
View Quote
OP requested advice on multiple subjects then does not provide any of the info we request or the necessary guidance for us so we can help.

It seems like he wasted our time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been reading the replies. I will be 78 in April wife turned 69 today currently sick in bed with the flu.
Desert Hot Springs is one area I have been looking at. Yes AZ is another option.
We don't want to be an hour from a hospital.
Spot Crime I use this to check crime in the area.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have been reading the replies. I will be 78 in April wife turned 69 today currently sick in bed with the flu.
Desert Hot Springs is one area I have been looking at. Yes AZ is another option.
We don't want to be an hour from a hospital.
Spot Crime I use this to check crime in the area.
View Quote
Not sure I’d want to spend any time in a hospital in Blythe or Kingman.

Where in “LA” does your son live?  I think we’re all assuming that is the center of your 2-3 hour radius.

Have you ever spent time in the Palm Springs Area?
What type of community do you live in now - urban, suburban, rural, retirement, etc?  What type of situation do you want in your new home?
Why do you refuse to live in “LA” but are willing to live in DHS - still in CA?
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#12]
What's your budget?  Be honest.  Give a range.

What kind of community do you want to live in - urban(-ish), gated suburb, rural home, working farm,...?  What type of climate do you want - desert, foothills, mountains, waterfront (lake/river/ocean),...?
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Max I want to put into a house would be $250,000. Over 55 would be fine only looking for 2 Bedrooms 2 bath second can be 1/2. Small lot that has or could have a fence.  We have 2 50+lb dogs and 3 indoor cats one on it's last leg would most likely be gone when we move. I'd like to get where we are going before the election.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#14]
There are plenty of properties for sale in that region which meet your criteria,  There are too many, really, for me to sort them for you.

The type of community you want is still unspecified - mountains, low desert, foothills,...

Have you looked on Zillow.com?  Use the filters to limit price range, BR, Bth,...

Link to Zillow.com
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:10:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Rancho Cucamonga.

It’s San Bernardino County which is very gun friendly and CCW friendly. Sales tax is lower than LA County (though still high at 8%) but LA County is over 9% and some cities in LA county are over 10%.

Crime rates are so low that RC doesn’t even have its own police department. If you need to call police, you call the Sheriff’s Dept.

It has a Bass Pro and BLM land is only an hour away.

You can get a 1 bedroom apartment for about $1800/month. That’s not bad for Southern California, about what you’d pay in Compton but no gangs,

Ontario is right next door. Ontario has gangs but has an International Airport so you can avoid LAX. There are some decent Ontario neighborhoods, though. Some really bad ones, too.

It’s about an hour closer to LA than Palm Springs/Palm Desert.

If you want to buy a house, you can get a decent one for about $550,000 - $600,000. That’s not bad for a gang free neighborhood in CA.

I have my criticisms of California, but RC isn’t one of them. I spent the last five years there. If I absolutely had to move back to CA, I’d move back to RC.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:46:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Rancho Cucamonga.
View Quote
No, not for the $250k max the OP stated.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There are 55+ communities in the Beaumont area, that would put you about 90-100 miles east of L.A., not sure what big hospital is near by. It would put you about 20-30 miles east of Loma Linda, so its not that far and both are right off the 10 FWY.

Traffic is heavy in the morning going west and then east in the afternoon, so if you had to travel in either direction, plan accordingly.

Your budget will get you into a house there but you'll probably still have to pay on a mortgage, look up the area and the surrounding areas. There's Cherry Valley, Yucaipa, Beaumont, Calimesa, Cabazon...
View Quote
Loma Linda has the Loma Linda University, Loma Linda Adventist and Loma Linda VA Hospitals.  All are pretty well thought of.  About 20 miles from Beaumont
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#19]
TBH, $250K doesn't get you in SoCal what it gets you in much/most of the rest of the country.  I did a Zillow search - $100,000 to $300,00 on Bakersfield.  A fair number of hits in the target range.  About 2 hours north of L.A.  I believe Kern County is firearms friendly.  Would probably take some local advice as to areas, neighborhoods.  Area is heavily agricultural and oil industry driven.  Main transportation routes.  It's the "big city" for quite a large area.  County music history.   Hot and dry for the most part.  Not known as a high income area.  Air quality problems.  (As much of the Central Valley)  Several hospitals.  No idea of reputation.

It's an alternative.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Looking seriously at Desert Hot Springs,  housing we can afford,  crime doesn't seem that bad close enough so son could drive out to spend time with us. 3 Hr drive compared to a  5+ hour flight to South Florida.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:06:15 PM EDT
[#21]
It's a dry heat.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's a dry heat.
View Quote
Here is South Florida we get days of 90+ with "feels like" over 100. You walk out and start sweating I've mowed the lawn and when done my clothes are dripping wet.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:58:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
TBH, $250K doesn't get you in SoCal what it gets you in much/most of the rest of the country.  I did a Zillow search - $100,000 to $300,00 on Bakersfield.  A fair number of hits in the target range.  About 2 hours north of L.A.  I believe Kern County is firearms friendly.  Would probably take some local advice as to areas, neighborhoods.  Area is heavily agricultural and oil industry driven.  Main transportation routes.  It's the "big city" for quite a large area.  County music history.   Hot and dry for the most part.  Not known as a high income area.  Air quality problems.  (As much of the Central Valley)  Several hospitals.  No idea of reputation.

It's an alternative.
View Quote
I spend enough time in Bakersfield to know that I'm not living in a neighborhood of $150k homes.............  One of my best friends has lived in NW Bakersfield (Hwy 58/Allen Rd) since 1997 - he paid $154k for his 3/2 house in 1997 and Zillow says it's $375K now.  There are nice parts of Bakersfield but from what I know they will be quite a bit above the $250k mark.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 3:07:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Bakersfield is an hour and a half drive into downtown LA. 2 hours with traffic. Very pleasant drive for 75% of it.

Plenty of housing within your price range and it’s perfectly safe. It’s definitely a bigger place than it used to be.

Weather is hot and dry in summer and cool and mild in the winter, with  numerous excellent hospitals and a ton of specialty medical services.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 3:10:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I spend enough time in Bakersfield to know that I'm not living in a neighborhood of $150k homes.............  One of my best friends has lived in NW Bakersfield (Hwy 58/Allen Rd) since 1997 - he paid $154k for his 3/2 house in 1997 and Zillow says it's $375K now.  There are nice parts of Bakersfield but from what I know they will be quite a bit above the $250k mark.
View Quote
He’s looking for a 2/2. No problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top