Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2018 12:47:01 PM EDT
I got a new job in Alaska and I am going to be buying some new boots for work. Anyone have any recommendations for year around waterproof composite toe boots?  My other option is just buying boots for summer and boots for winter. I will be working in Delta Junction for now and probably Fairbanks in the future.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I work in mining, and am very tough on footwear. The only boots that I've found to work year round are Danner Pronghorns. They are available with a safety toe, and are very comfy. But they are a little too hot for me in the summer, and not quite warm enough for long days in the winter. I've also been happy with the Danner Quarry. The Vibram sole is a little slippery in the winter with those, and they are maybe not quite as warm as the pronghorns for winter work. Right now I'm wearing White's for summer or indoors work, and some Red Wings with 200 or 400 grams of thinsulate for outdoor winter work.

Bottom line: expect to try a whole bunch of different boots before you find one that works for you. Thankfully, there is a good selection available in Fairbanks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I got a new job in Alaska and I am going to be buying some new boots for work. Anyone have any recommendations for year around waterproof composite toe boots?  My other option is just buying boots for summer and boots for winter. I will be working in Delta Junction for now and probably Fairbanks in the future.
View Quote
Hit up big rays or Prospector. They have some knowledgable sales people when it comes to boots.

My job always had us in shit places, so I wore rubbers pretty much year round. Xtra-Tuffs and then Mucks, insulated depending on season.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, it all depends..are you working outdoors all day or indoors with a quick trip out to the truck or indoors all day? And where at? anchorage is a far bit diff then delta.....For indoor/summer/quick outdoor trips I had the best luck with white smokejumpers with steel toes(pretty sure they have composite toes as well) they are spendy, but get your feet measured for them and they are extremely comfortable and hold up better then any boot I have seen.....they are also fully rebuildable and is actually a reasonable price...

Winter time is tougher, especially for a full cold weather outdoor boot with toes...Try army/navy surplus downtown anchorage, they provide a lot of gear for the oil field workers on the slope..if it exist they will know about it, even if they don't carry it...Honestly, the only boot for the dead of winter outdoors all day is going to be white bunny boots...nothing else will do it for standing around outside short of maybe true native Alaska built mukluks...quality snow machine boots would come the closest..
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:14:14 AM EDT
[#5]
land of extremes, you will want a summer boot that can breathe, and a winter boot like a bunny boot
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I went with some redwings water proof safety toe boots. Figure when it’s semi cold I will wear heavier wool socks. Mainly be in a vehicle but I am probably going to buy some specific winter boots as well since it’s a year around job.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went with some redwings water proof safety toe boots. Figure when it’s semi cold I will wear heavier wool socks. Mainly be in a vehicle but I am probably going to buy some specific winter boots as well since it’s a year around job.
View Quote
Baffins are the bomb for winter.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wasn't a big fan of Baffins. I was more of a fan of the Neos overboots over my normal boots, especially when working on ice pads.

Neos at Big Rays
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 11:45:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Danner Ft Lewis, or Acadia serve me very well down to zero-ish, as long as i  stay moving.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top