Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2023 11:34:20 AM EDT
Been a bit folks, glad to see some older SNs coming around or variations there of i've worked nearly a decade in maintenance both facilities and multifamily. Last month I completed welding school through a VA program and jobs were plentiful 8 months ago... now I'm lucky to find a job paying what I know I'm worth even if it's for welding I don't have much experience with.

Maintenance and/or welding. Anyone got a lead on either one? I hate on-call with maintenance and that's the very reason I wanted to leave the field but here I am looking at crawling back to it

Anyway, I'm getting to the end of my program stipend allotment and I need a job soon.
Only catch is I have a medical card because I suck at sleeping and I know that's a hang up for nearly everything out there even with being a Vet.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#1]
The railroads would hire you in a heartbeat if it weren't for the sleep issue.  It might not be an issue, though.  Certainly if you hired as a conductor it would but might not be a big deal in other crafts.

Im not sure if maintenance is hiring.  But they are desperate for people in other crafts.  Your military background gives you a huge advantage and they have a real hard on for employing you guys because of the tax credits.

Check BNSF and UP's website.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The railroads would hire you in a heartbeat if it weren't for the sleep issue.  It might not be an issue, though.  Certainly if you hired as a conductor it would but might not be a big deal in other crafts.

Im not sure if maintenance is hiring.  But they are desperate for people in other crafts.  Your military background gives you a huge advantage and they have a real hard on for employing you guys because of the tax credits.

Check BNSF and UP's website.
View Quote

I would have figured those to be "safety sensitive" and thus disqualified even if I'm qualified.

I'll give it a peek though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Is moving an option?
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 10:37:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't know what wage/hr or benies you're looking for,

but payment alliance international is taking apps for cash handler/tech for the OKC metro shop,

Wage is decent (not anywhere near the wage I used to make in gaming commission, it's close to wage I made as a gr11 at York in 98') and the benifits you have to pay for.

but the work is goddamned near the easiest I've ever done, a kindergartener could do it.

Get 40+hrs a week, 120hrs pto on the books day you start and payday every Friday, you're on call supposedly one weekend a month.

I generally get 50 to 60+hrs a week, drive service vehicle 1k miles some weeks up to 2k miles some weeks, so it's like 90% driving and 10% hands on work, like I said easiest work a kindergartener can do it.

Edit:
If you apply and take the job at pai, you'll have to ride bitch cause I drive.

Edit:
Like said above, idk what wage/benies you're looking for,

Johnson controls in Norman (used to be York international) does a few job fairs a year hiring.

Idk for sure but I heard they now pay gr4 line assemblers 18.25/hr starting which is close to what I made as a gr11 in 98.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Large Hospitals are always looking for guys like you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top