Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2023 6:54:59 PM EDT
Need to build a gate for our backyard fence. Tired of dealing with the wooden one sagging. Going to make it out of something like 2" X 2" steel tubing and 5-6" square steel post. Gate will be basically a square metal frame with wood slats attached.

Anyone have any material like that or know where to get it at non-exorbitant prices?

Also how far would you set the post in the ground to take that weight? I'm thinking 3 feet?
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Only one I can think of is Albright steel corner of Virginia ave near Reno in the city.

Might be cheaper places, but I've done business with them for years when I needed metal.

Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on panel weight and length,

if they're mid to heavy id post deeper than 3' and a bag or two of concrete so it'd last least rest of my life without much need for adjustments,

If it's just to dress up the yard cause I'm selling it soon, then yes three foot or less ought look good a year or three before the gate sags.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:58:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on panel weight and length,

if they're mid to heavy id post deeper than 3' and a bag or two of concrete so it'd last least rest of my life without much need for adjustments,

If it's just to dress up the yard cause I'm selling it soon, then yes three foot or less ought look good a year or three before the gate sags.
View Quote

I'm using 11 gauge 4x4 steel posts. I'm not sure how thick that is but should be fine for this. I found a guy on facebook marketplace with some for a decent price.

What I  thought I might do is weld a couple of 2x2 steel sq tubes from the fence post holding the gate to another post, basically making an H shape so that the load of the gate pulling down, has to pull on both posts, not just one. I'm no engineer but I think that would prevent sagging. See awesome paint drawing:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm using 11 gauge 4x4 steel posts. I'm not sure how thick that is but should be fine for this. I found a guy on facebook marketplace with some for a decent price.

What I  thought I might do is weld a couple of 2x2 steel sq tubes from the fence post holding the gate to another post, basically making an H shape so that the load of the gate pulling down, has to pull on both posts, not just one. I'm no engineer but I think that would prevent sagging. See awesome paint drawing:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/8660/metal_gate_jpg-2811681.JPG
View Quote

The NRCS standard is seven feet between the H brace. J&I is the closest I’ve dealt with to the City. But with the cost of fuel you don’t save much money anymore.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Only one I can think of is Albright steel corner of Virginia ave near Reno in the city.

Might be cheaper places, but I've done business with them for years when I needed metal.

View Quote

Yep, these guys are one of the cheaper steel sellers in OKC.  W&W and Ray Albright (At corner of May and SW15th) are both pretty expensive.  Haven't priced US Steel up by Frontier City though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top