Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2021 3:30:06 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to move up to the Phoenix area from Yuma. Where we move to in PHX largely depends on where the kids will go to school.

Does anyone have recommendations for top tier private schools in the Phoenix area?

Notes and parameters:
*  School must NOT be religious based (not Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, whatever).
*  Money is no object. I want the best school(s) for my kids and I'm willing to pay to get it.
*  School should be neutral or conservative leaning in their leanings.
*  I prefer the Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert area... close to Rio Salado ;)

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Conservative but not religious is going to be hard to find.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure of Arizona Ed laws, but Professional Homeschoolers are going to become very popular in the day of the Chinkflu.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Conservative but not religious is going to be hard to find.
View Quote

This is unfortunate because my family and I are Christian, but we are not Catholic, Baptist, or Lutheran.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 1:31:01 AM EDT
[#4]
The liberals I know hate Basis and Great Hearts, they’re charter schools, but certainly better than public.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Look into Legacy Traditional Schools. They do things the right way. Large emphasis on citizenship and patriotism.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Look into Legacy Traditional Schools. They do things the right way. Large emphasis on citizenship and patriotism.
View Quote
That's where our 2 oldest attend. Only been in school a couple weeks. We'll see how it goes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#7]
What age range?
Do you want traditional, classical or modern?
What do you actually want from a "good" school? College admission? Life skills? Classical works knowledge? Latest technology (stem heavy)?
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was going to suggest them as well. The curriculum is posted online and described in detail. They seem to be the most common charter school that is popping up allot more. They had a location by us for the past few years and just this summer built 2 more locations within 5 miles to offset the flood from public schools. You may also want to check each district I know my district is not teaching the CRT and are teaching CORE. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Look into American Leadership Academy. They are charter and conservative leaning. We were playing sports last year when most other high schools closed their sports programs. Our kids are not wearing masks either.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Great Hearts and Basis are in my opinion (as a teacher and parent) the two best Charter school systems in Arizona. GreatHearts is very focused on Classical Education, your children will learn the great works of Western Society, and should excel in a University setting. If it lacks anything it is in the advanced sciences, if you want your child to be building robots and other 'flashy' things, look elsewhere. Basis is just a high quality school that is everything a public school in Arizona should be, without the bad. It is a very traditional, American, style education, without the BS.
My children all went or are going to a Lutheran K-8, and a Great Hearts HS.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I know you said not religious.  I'm just gonna throw this out there anyway.  My family is not catholic or very religious.  My sister had both her sons in private catholic based Jesuit schools.  They were well taught and not brain washed or proselytized too.  

If I had kids and this was the only choice versus public schools I wouldn't hesitate.  

Best of luck.

Link Posted: 8/30/2021 1:15:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Look into American Leadership Academy. They are charter and conservative leaning. We were playing sports last year when most other high schools closed their sports programs. Our kids are not wearing masks either.
View Quote

I work at ALA and have had pretty good experiences  A teacher was fired for teaching about there being more than 2 genders and I met several other teachers from another campus at a trump rally. Small world.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#13]
2nd for Legacy Traditional school
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What age range?
What do you actually want from a "good" school? College admission? Life skills? Classical works knowledge? Latest technology (stem heavy)?
View Quote

I appreciate everyone's input. I have my eyes on some land in Mesa and getting ready to scout it out.

My idea of a "good" school may not be realistic, but generally I'm looking for the following:

*  School demands excellence from the kids. Challenging curriculum that puts students ahead of their peers in crowded public schools.
*  Teachers are passionate about teaching and inspire their students to learn and grow.
*  Curriculum teaches students how to think critically, problem solve, and think for themselves vs being trained to pass a standardized test.
*  Emphasis on both the classics and STEM would be ideal.
*  I don't really care about college admission. I don't believe that college is automatically the answer (Military, trade school, business, etc.). If my kids want to go to college, then they're going to have to figure out how they're going to pay for it haha.
*  Emphasis should be placed on US History and general patriotic ideals.

Ages: 9, 7, 5, 3

Classical vs Modern?: I want practical and effective. I imagine that means it is a combination of the two.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I appreciate everyone's input. I have my eyes on some land in Mesa and getting ready to scout it out.

My idea of a "good" school may not be realistic, but generally I'm looking for the following:

*  School demands excellence from the kids. Challenging curriculum that puts students ahead of their peers in crowded public schools.
*  Teachers are passionate about teaching and inspire their students to learn and grow.
*  Curriculum teaches students how to think critically, problem solve, and think for themselves vs being trained to pass a standardized test.
*  I don't really care about college admission. I don't believe that college is automatically the answer (Military, trade school, business, etc.). If my kids want to go to college, then they're going to have to figure out how they're going to pay for it haha.

Classical vs Modern?: I want practical and effective. I imagine that means it is a combination of the two.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What age range?

In my opinion, a Great Hearts school is what you seek. They offer tours/walkthroughs, I suggest going to one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top