Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2020 3:58:42 PM EDT
Title says it. Seriously looking to build a new home on my property and I 'd like to hear about ICF from somebody who builds them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 1:32:57 AM EDT
[#1]
While not a regular builder @trapsh00ter99 is building his own home using ICF.  The ICF part is done and he is working on the inside details.  He should be less than 2 hours away from you.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#2]
While I can't help with an ICF builder local to you, you are welcome to come by and look over my ICF house still under construction. It is drywalled and has most the siding on, so it looks kind of just normal now. I'd be happy to answer any question you might have.

If I was asked "would you choose ICF again" the answer would be absolutely yes. If I did it again I would make sure I budgeted for an ICF roof also (especially if I lived in an area where zoning and "style" allowed for flat or parapet roofs).
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While I can't help with an ICF builder local to you, you are welcome to come by and look over my ICF house still under construction. It is drywalled and has most the siding on, so it looks kind of just normal now. I'd be happy to answer any question you might have.

If I was asked "would you choose ICF again" the answer would be absolutely yes. If I did it again I would make sure I budgeted for an ICF roof also (especially if I lived in an area where zoning and "style" allowed for flat or parapet roofs).
View Quote

I guess my 1st question is when you poured it, did you pour full height or were there a bunch of different layers with cold joints?

Link Posted: 11/20/2020 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Been in my icf for a year now. Love it. Heating bills are next to nothing compared to my old house.
Gets a little stuffy sometimes but nothing opening a window won't fix.
Mine is a icf single story sitting on an icf basement.
Basement was poured in one day. Main floor poured all in one day on another day. No cold joints besides between floors.
Call fox blocks and ask for builders in the area. The guy I used is booked 2-3 years out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#5]
He has pictures and some write up in his thread. It starts around the bottom of this page.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Married-a-Girl-from-UkraineDate-Letter-from-USCIS-says-WELCOME-TO-THE-USA-/75-2134841/?page=114

He has a 2 story house and I know he did at least 2 pours as you can't pour 2 stories all at once.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Been in my icf for a year now. Love it. Heating bills are next to nothing compared to my old house.
Gets a little stuffy sometimes but nothing opening a window won't fix.
Mine is a icf single story sitting on an icf basement.
Basement was poured in one day. Main floor poured all in one day on another day. No cold joints besides between floors.
Call fox blocks and ask for builders in the area. The guy I used is booked 2-3 years out.
View Quote

I read a thing by some engineer type that below ground ICF can have very hard to find/repair water infiltration issues. Concerns seemed logical so I'm contemplating standard concrete walls below grade and ICF above.

Did you happen to heat the basement slab? I'm wondering if a heated slab might be all the heat needed down there?
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't see how water intrusion would be harder to detect unless he thinks the water will run horizontally along the Styrofoam blocks like a plinko game. We used dimple matting and way more gravel than normal to ensure drainage. The house is only a year old so time will tell. I was given the option of formed vs icf. Builder wanted to do icf so it was an easy decision. He was right about it staying more evenly temperate.

I didn't heat the basement at all. There's no heat duct down there. Only heat source is the electric furnace a dehumidifier and lights. Stays way toastier than my previous bare poured basement. You could heat the basement easy with heated slab, rest of the house, no. You'll still get drafts through the windows and doors but you'll want them unless you install an air exchanger.
I didn't want propane so my option was wood or electric and I chose electric. As easy as it is to heat I can't imagine how many times the gas heat would cycle on and off. A wood stove would have burnt us right out of this place. You may think about if you'll miss the furnace running. My wife really has no place to warm herself since the registers no longer spew hot air, its more like sort of warm air with electric.

The thing to consider is insects. They love the Styrofoam. I've baited and sprayed the shit out of the area and you still have to keep an eye out for ants.

There's a place in Mayslick that sells them if you're a do it yourself kind of guy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't see how water intrusion would be harder to detect unless he thinks the water will run horizontally along the Styrofoam blocks like a plinko game. We used dimple matting and way more gravel than normal to ensure drainage. The house is only a year old so time will tell. I was given the option of formed vs icf. Builder wanted to do icf so it was an easy decision. He was right about it staying more evenly temperate.

View Quote

That's what this engineer said. It can get inside the foam and migrate a good distance before finding a crack, then migrate some more before it enters the basement. Basically a double barrel MFer to pinpoint, possibly making you do a lot of exploration just to find the actual leak.

I'm pretty sure I can get a 15 yr warranty on standard concrete walls. If I could get the same on ICF, I'd just go that route but I haven't gotten that far yet to know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top