Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2022 10:03:14 PM EDT
I forgot his name but his Avatar is a Red Chevy 4X4 Squarebody. He is a master at building trucks and cars.I have a question about a 1981 GMC K2500. Thanks fellas.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#1]
@aksnowrider
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rosta97:
@aksnowrider
View Quote

Thanks Rosta......

Ask away  @BearKing23, I will do my best to answer...
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

Thanks Rosta......

Ask away  @BearKing23, I will do my best to answer...
View Quote

Ok, first thank you for letting me pick your brain. I have been a Squarebody junkie my whole life and own three as of right now. I have two 1976 trucks. One is a long bed 4 speed with the 350 and the other 76 is a Step side short box Sport package with the factory 400 small block, a very rare truck. Now my question is, my wife just bought me another toy to play with. She knows I love the Fall Guy show from the 80’s and found me a 1981 GMC Sierra with the 292 straight six. I would like to make a copy of the Fall Guy truck. The engine is bad and it has the SM 465 with the 208 case. Here it FINALLY goes….can I just yank the 292 and replace it with my 454 or 350 ( both engines are spares ) and will they bolt up to the bellhousing from the 292??? I am hoping it will since I actually like the four speed trucks. I have seen your posts and know you are the right man to ask so THANK YOU again.

@AKSnowRider
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BearKing23:

Ok, first thank you for letting me pick your brain. I have been a Squarebody junkie my whole life and own three as of right now. I have two 1976 trucks. One is a long bed 4 speed with the 350 and the other 76 is a Step side short box Sport package with the factory 400 small block, a very rare truck. Now my question is, my wife just bought me another toy to play with. She knows I love the Fall Guy show from the 80’s and found me a 1981 GMC Sierra with the 292 straight six. I would like to make a copy of the Fall Guy truck. The engine is bad and it has the SM 465 with the 208 case. Here it FINALLY goes….can I just yank the 292 and replace it with my 454 or 350 ( both engines are spares ) and will they bolt up to the bellhousing from the 292??? I am hoping it will since I actually like the four speed trucks. I have seen your posts and know you are the right man to ask so THANK YOU again.

@AKSnowRider
View Quote

Yep, will bolt right up to the motor mounts and the bell housing..you need the correct flex plate for your new engine..454 is externally balanced(on the flex plate and harmonic balancer) 350 is internally balanced(uses different flex plate and balancer from a 454)....Lots of little changes of course, the entire exhaust system, the radiator fan and shroud for the 454 for sure(bigger radiator, bigger shroud, bigger fan) 350 will have its own as well, I would do griffin radiators HD aluminum direct fit radiator, a stock 350 fan shroud and fan assembly..electric fans are useless, they will not keep an engine cool....jegs or summit sells the griffin radiators, normally cheaper than stock and way better than stock..other wise just do stock 350 with heavy tow package for all of it..
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 3:26:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

Yep, will bolt right up to the motor mounts and the bell housing..you need the correct flex plate for your new engine..454 is externally balanced(on the flex plate and harmonic balancer) 350 is internally balanced(uses different flex plate and balancer from a 454)....Lots of little changes of course, the entire exhaust system, the radiator fan and shroud for the 454 for sure(bigger radiator, bigger shroud, bigger fan) 350 will have its own as well, I would do griffin radiators HD aluminum direct fit radiator, a stock 350 fan shroud and fan assembly..electric fans are useless, they will not keep an engine cool....jegs or summit sells the griffin radiators, normally cheaper than stock and way better than stock..other wise just do stock 350 with heavy tow package for all of it..
View Quote

Awesome, thanks again for your help.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 3:36:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BearKing23:

Awesome, thanks again for your help.
View Quote

no problem, glad I could help...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top