Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2018 9:49:36 PM EDT
I've been searching for a range/shooting club that has steel targets and allows shooting while on the move, drawing from a holster, etc. None of these things are allowed at any of the public ranges that I've been to and I figured I'd reach out on here to see if anyone had any recommendations.

I'm Northwest of Atlanta and would with the exception of driving to extreme South GA would travel just about anywhere to shoot. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:00:56 PM EDT
[#1]
South River Gun Club, Cherokee Gun Club, Riverbend Gun Club, all allow shooting on the move and drawing from holster.  They are member's only, i.e. one must join these clubs.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
South River Gun Club, Cherokee Gun Club, Riverbend Gun Club, all allow shooting on the move and drawing from holster.  They are member's only, i.e. one must join these clubs.
View Quote
Thanks for the reply. I've looked at both South River and Riverbend. They are equidistant from where I live although the cost is a good bit higher at Riverbend. What I can't tell from either website is whether you are allowed to shoot on the move outside of competitions? Both clubs advertise competition IDPA etc. but, I can't tell if you can just go to the range and shoot steel outside of competing with others.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#3]
The Angry Emu Range near Madison GA is available for use by members of the GA HTF. It is a range built by, and for, the GA HTF. Shoot and move is not a problem. For that matter RedWolf51 hosts a 2 gun run and gun competition at the range nearly every month. There are no range fees or membership dues, but donations are always gratefully accepted. There are 5 sturdy rifle benches with backstops at 100/150/200 yards, and a 25 yard pistol berm. All the backstops as well as the pistol berm have multiple steel targets in place. See the link below for pics and drone video of the range.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Angry-Emu-Range-pictures-and-videos/35-628563/?page=1&anc=6937403#i6937403

Ask any questions you might have here, or PM me or RedWolf51 if you prefer.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:02:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Pickens County Sportsman’s club has monthly idpa matches. Mike benedict is coordinator.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What I can't tell from either website is whether you are allowed to shoot on the move outside of competitions? Both clubs advertise competition IDPA etc. but, I can't tell if you can just go to the range and shoot steel outside of competing with others.
View Quote
I just gave you the facts.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:18:15 AM EDT
[#6]
PSC

I've been a member at PSC for a few years. Happy to answer any questions here or via PM.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
PSC

I've been a member at PSC for a few years. Happy to answer any questions here or via PM.
View Quote
Me to now for over 5 years now. Mike Benedict is a great teacher.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Elberton gun club has 5 pits, standard pistol range, 400 yard rifle range, and sporting clays  120.00 for yearly membership.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Since you said "would travel just about anywhere to shoot". I live just north of Columbus, GA and there are 2 ranges that meet your requirements.  Strongpoint and EAGC
I'm a member of EAGC which has steel on 3 pistol bays and on the 300yds rifle range that is free to use.  Strongpoint has steel on their 400yds rifle range that is free, but have to rent steel for the pistol bays.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Since you said "would travel just about anywhere to shoot". I live just north of Columbus, GA and there are 2 ranges that meet your requirements.  Strongpoint and EAGC
I'm a member of EAGC which has steel on 3 pistol bays and on the 300yds rifle range that is free to use.  Strongpoint has steel on their 400yds rifle range that is free, but have to rent steel for the pistol bays.
View Quote
I'm down in that area for work sometimes so those are options. I appreciate all the replies. I'm going to look into Riverbend and South River gun club since they are both roughly an hour from where I live. Any members from those clubs active on the Georgia board?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm down in that area for work sometimes so those are options. I appreciate all the replies. I'm going to look into Riverbend and South River gun club since they are both roughly an hour from where I live. Any members from those clubs active on the Georgia board?
View Quote
You should really consider the Angry Emu Range just south of Madison. Our facility is free to use to HTF members, just give Emu the heads up that you are coming out. Check out the pics and videos of our range. We are constantly improving our facilities. There are barricades located at the edges of the range if you wish to use them. Plywood walls with windows. I will be hosting the next 2 gun challenge sometime in January. This is a competition based on accuracy and time. We have been running 9 stages both rifle and pistol from different positions and various distances. I plan to change some of the positions this year. Fastest time of day receives the gold Redwolf cup. Stay tune as I will be posting the date of the next 2 gun soon.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Start shooting matches with USPSA, IDPA, GADPA or carbine only US ARMS.  In one year of shooting weekly you will gain shooting skills that you could not imagine.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not a member, but consider RBGC my "home club" in the USPSA world.

It's a great range if you can afford it.  The only reason I'm not a member is being poor.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Visit emu for a hometown shoot or 2 gun match.

River bend is cool but i think the only run and gun is allowed at the action pistol matches on the 3rd Saturday of the month. Still a great club.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
River bend is cool but i think the only run and gun is allowed at the action pistol matches on the 3rd Saturday of the month. Still a great club.
View Quote
If that's the case then that club is out. That was my biggest question for any shooting club...can you shoot and move outside of competition.

How do their members train for matches? If you can't shoot unless you're competing then the only practice you get is in the competition.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If that's the case then that club is out. That was my biggest question for any shooting club...can you shoot and move outside of competition.

How do their members train for matches? If you can't shoot unless you're competing then the only practice you get is in the competition.
View Quote
The 2 gun matches at the Angry Emu range are pretty informal and for bragging rights. They're fun and a good way to train if you do want to get into more formal competition.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am  River Bend member, We have several bays that allow you to set up stages to practice to your hearts content Shoot and move USPSA/IDPA style. Multiple bays with plate racks set up. Go up and shoot with the USPSA club.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 11:57:51 PM EDT
[#18]
There is no prohibition on move and shoot, run and gun type practice at RBGC in the appropriate bays.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I am  River Bend member, We have several bays that allow you to set up stages to practice to your hearts content Shoot and move USPSA/IDPA style. Multiple bays with plate racks set up. Go up and shoot with the USPSA club.
View Quote
That's good news. Is steel provided or do you bring your own?
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#20]
We have at lest 8 pistol steel plate racks set up in multiple bays for members to use. Our 500 meter range has rifle steel gongs set up at different ranges. Beyond that it's BYOS. RBGC.org
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We have at lest 8 pistol steel plate racks set up in multiple bays for members to use. Our 500 meter range has rifle steel gongs set up at different ranges. Beyond that it's BYOS. RBGC.org
View Quote
Are you talking about the cowboy pits or the action pistol pits?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Are you talking about the cowboy pits or the action pistol pits?
View Quote
Both
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Both
View Quote
That brings up another question. Is it pistol only in those bays or are you allowed to use both pistol and rifle?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That brings up another question. Is it pistol only in those bays or are you allowed to use both pistol and rifle?
View Quote
You can use both in the Action Pistol bays if you get qualified for a Tac Rifle pin on your member badge. I believe they run the qualification course once a month.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 7:18:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Also Cowboy range bay one and two can be used for rifle and pistol.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top