Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2021 12:33:41 PM EDT
So I recently moved to Midtown Atlanta and I like to shoot rifle and pistol, but I am unused to city indoor shooting ranges. They are way extra, and meant for novices who don’t know what they’re doing.

Where I grew up, there are outdoor 100 yd ranges that are a part of WMA state parks run by the DNR.

The one I went to is unmanned, you pay $25 per year (you get a laminated card in case someone asks. Noone ever does. It’s the honor system). Set up your own targets, police your brass, conduct yourself safely, etc. If there are more than one shooter preset, everyone kind of takes care of themselves and people kinda agree on a ceasefire and unloading whenever people want to walk downrange to check their targets. You know, “take care of yourself responsibly” rules. General safe handling rules are posted up on a sign. The range is open daily from sun up to sun down.

I’ve never experienced an issue there.

Is there anything like this outside of Atlanta? It seems like a waste of money to pay a range fee every time you go and shoot. Might as well just shoot in your own backyard then.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#3]
IM me for info.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Where I grew up, there are outdoor 100 yd ranges that are a part of WMA state parks run by the DNR.
View Quote

They still have them.  LINKY to DNR Shooting ranges.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#5]
The Angry Emu is a great place to go if you don’t wish to join a local club (few and far between honestly). There’s some great forum members that frequent the range and often you get to see some interesting gear.

The AE range truly is a blessing for this forum and it’s members.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:The AE range truly is a blessing for this forum and it’s members.
View Quote

10000%

Link Posted: 10/8/2021 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The AE range truly is a blessing for this forum and it’s members.
View Quote

Quoted:

10000%

View Quote

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I lived in Atlanta  and am still technically a resident. Closest are 2 wma ranges and both about an hour or more away. Go on weekends and not right before deer season. AE range is the best bet. I have to admit I have never been out to it yet but I did dontae a little when it first started. I should donate more just on principle.

The last 8 summers I have spent in WY. So much open public land. I regularly go car camp, ride dirt bikes all day and shoot all night at camp. We regularly run a regular "campsite" shoot out to 250-300 yard plinking tin cans. I love the freedom out there. But this is besides the point.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a member at cherokee in gainesville.  I like it pretty well.  Tue and weds afternoon you usually are there by yourself at least for a little while.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm a member at cherokee in gainesville.  I like it pretty well.  Tue and weds afternoon you usually are there by yourself at least for a little while.
View Quote

How long is the waiting list to get in there?
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
IM me for info.
View Quote

EMU range is worth the drive. I come from Newnan every time. come stay the night. shoot machine guns and use NV.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How long is the waiting list to get in there?
View Quote

This is what the latest newsletter says "The Waiting List is now full and is closed. We will not  accept any further applications until after the 2022 renewal cycle."

The membership secretary is Terry Jones [email protected].

Let me know if I can help.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 12:40:27 AM EDT
[#13]
No waiting list, no dues or fees, shooting up to 300 yards (possibly more), within an hour to an hour and a half from most of metro ATL, Athens, Columbus, and all but Macon, mostly underutilized, and open pretty much when it suits you:

The Angry Emu Range

Brought to you by ARFcom's Georgia Hometown Forum

Durn it, forgot to mention: full auto, suppressed, and night vision friendly too.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#14]
How do we get permission for the angry emu?
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No waiting list, no dues or fees, shooting up to 300 yards (possibly more), within an hour to an hour and a half from most of metro ATL, Athens, Columbus, and all but Macon, mostly underutilized, and open pretty much when it suits you:

The Angry Emu Range

Durn it, forgot to mention: full auto, suppressed, and night vision friendly too.
View Quote

PM sent Emu.

@IHTFP08 I’m in Newnan now & Im down for a group trip!

Link Posted: 11/19/2021 12:02:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

PM sent Emu.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Angry Emu Range

PM sent Emu.

@GAshooter11

PM sent back, hope to hear from you soon!
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How do we get permission for the angry emu?
View Quote

@WesleyHardin

IM sent, hope to hear from you soon!
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

He just gave it to you a post above yours.

Fyi don't shoot the horse.
View Quote

This is important
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@WesleyHardin

IM sent, hope to hear from you soon!
View Quote

I responded.  Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top