Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2022 8:19:54 PM EDT
My dad has an 08 320. Its stuck in park.  I'm hoping they can drag it onto a rollback.  I tried the transmission reset and no go.  Its near Rolla right now. Don't want to haul it 100 miles if we don't have to. Any suggestions other than don't buy Mercedes.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Goza repair in St. Robert has some German stuff shown when I googled it.

I really thought Rolla used to have a bmw/Mercedes shop.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont know what the "reset" is.

Will the car start? There should be a manual button under the shifter that will release it from park. You will need to get under there and press it with a long screw  driver or something
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Should be similar to this video

MERCEDES STUCK IN PARK HOW TO PUT IN DRIVE demonstrated on W211
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't be dragging it.  You risk breaking the parking pawl in the transmission.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#5]
If this is not an AWD model, you could put the rear up and disconnect the driveshaft before putting on a flatbed. Or, like the vid shows try and find the transmission interlock button to unlock and put in a neutral state.

Also, if you have an owner's manual, or a simple phone call, to speak with a service manager at a dealership and maybe they know where to find the trans interlock button at, to be able to wench onto flatbed safely.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I had an '04 E320.  It used the "brake by wire" system.  When they system went down, it wouldn't let you shift out of park.  I knew it was coming, because the warning light on the dash came on.  Lucky for me, it conked out in the parking lot of a local garage.  They weren't equipped to handle it, so I had it towed to Euro Performance (St Louis area, Christian rocks, highly recommended).  When the tow truck owner came, I had to show him how to get it out of park (like in the YouTube video a few posts up).

After we paid for it, Mercedes increased the number of years it was under warranty and refunded us the full amount.

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:54:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I looked at some videos.  It doesn't have a console shifter to release that way. It's more like a bump shifter on the column.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top