Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2019 2:03:22 PM EDT
Hey everyone.  My brother and I want to start buying rentals in Florida. The house prices in Colorado are insane and we can't invest here.

Orlando and ft worth Texas seem like good places to buy.

How's the job economy there?  The houses are prices right, it looks like I can rent them @ 1200 easily for a 1500sqft house.

I'm thinking of eventually moving from Colorado after I have several rentals.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a general contractor(residential) .  Construction would be my line of work if I did move.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Orlando is the worst place for housing cost to income ratio recently published studies prove it. I work in Orlando and live about a hour away for a reason. I know people who do the rental thing here and it sounds like a constant pain in the ass for them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#3]
There are so many rentals in Orlando it seems like a race to the bottom.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I'll fly out to check it out.  My income doesn't go very far in Colorado :(  400k for a 1.25 to 2k sqft house that is dated and beat to shit.

My uncle told me to slum lord it. He said he's buying in Florida. That's the only reason I ask.

He's doing fucking great financially. He just told me to use his rental contract. Saying it'll cost them 200 every time I need to call someone out to fix something minor. He said that people only call if it's something serious these days.

I need to invest somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#5]
What city do you recommend I check out?
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a few rentals and for the most part no problem. However, the Orlando renters are a very transient population. I have had  my fair share of folks up and leave in the middle of a lease. You can never tell how they will turn out regardless of a great credit check & references.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Saying it'll cost them 200 every time I need to call someone out to fix something minor. He said that people only call if it's something serious these days.
View Quote
Yeaaaaah.  I’ve got to imagine this isn’t legal.  There’s a lot of tenant’s rights lawyers who work for free and love to sue property owners for stuff like this, so you should probably get your contract vetted by a Florida lawyer who specializes in that.

Unless the renter caused the damage you can’t make them pay for simply having something fixed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top