Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2022 2:07:18 PM EDT
Wife and I are looking at moving back to PA when I retire from the Air Force.

Wife is from Delaware County, I'm from Lebanon County...... we're leaning towards Lebanon or Berks County.

How is the job and housing market?

Aside from working aircraft maintenance I've also spent the past two years now being in charge of a squadron vehicle fleet, equipment items, and have managed 35 people on three shifts.

Additionally I'm 10k forklift qualified and am currently halfway toward a BA in management
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Housing market is ridiculous here in northern Lancaster County. Houses are selling in days for way over asking price. I can't really help you on the job market. You can IM me and I will give you my number if you have any other questions.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:34:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DrRemulak:
Housing market is ridiculous here in northern Lancaster County. Houses are selling in days for way over asking price. I can't really help you on the job market. You can IM me and I will give you my number if you have any other questions.
View Quote

Berks is the same but slowing down.

Tons of employment availability in both counties.

Land is really high in Lancaster. Lebanon is cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not around center county?
Very red area around there despite the university there.
Really growing yet youre still not far from some really nice country
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JQ66:
Why not around center county?
Very red area around there despite the university there.
Really growing yet youre still not far from some really nice country
View Quote

We're also looking at the West shore area near Carlisle/Mechanicsburg
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Beamy:

We're also looking at the West shore area near Carlisle/Mechanicsburg
View Quote

That will put you in the region of west shore sportsman's association, a pretty nice range I was a member of 15 years ago. I was last there about 3 years ago as a guest and only saw 1 pistol bay so I don't know how much it's changed.

Indoor pistol, outdoor trap, archery, individual pistol bays, shoot house, cowboy shoots. The rifle range is into a steep hill after 100Y of flat ground though.

They host a lot of police/swat events too.

https://www.westshoresportsmen.org/
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#6]
There's also the Carlisle Fish and Game Association.  It has a rifle range out to 300 yards and three pistol bays.  I've been a member for decades.  It's a great range.

Carlisle Fish and Game
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#7]
North Londonderry, Lebanon County would be happy to have you.  PSA isn't far away.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 12:14:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By IH1026:
North Londonderry, Lebanon County would be happy to have you.  PSA isn't far away.
View Quote

Funny you mentioned Palmyra area, we've been looking at that area...good school district and close to Hershey/Harrisburg area
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 2:37:37 AM EDT
[#9]
We're still looking at the Lebanon, Lancaster, and Berks County area
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Come to Carbon county. Need moar red.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 2:50:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalashnikov762] [#11]
Why would anyone want to move to PA?  Massive public debt, taxes always going up, commie state government has destroyed election integrity, garbage weather and roads are getting worse.

I escaped four years ago and will not even go back to visit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#12]
We're also looking at the Carlisle area since we'd be able to access Carlisle Barracks for the BX and Commissary

Plus my wife is currently a GS civilian for the DOD here at Ellsworth, so if she could get a job on the Barracks or at New Cumberland that would be great as well
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:42:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rc2] [#13]
The job market here is very good.  I would recommend that you and your wife look to one of the DOD bases in the area for employment.  New Cumberland, Mechanicsburg, and Carlisle.  New Cumberland and Mechanicsburg are large employers.

I have friends who work at New Cumberland and Mechanicsburg.  Good jobs with great schedules.  As a retired veteran you would have the inside track and I believe that you would start with 20 years service.   ie. max PTO.

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By rc2:
The job market here is very good.  I would recommend that you and your wife look to one of the DOD bases in the area for employment.  New Cumberland, Mechanicsburg, and Carlisle.  New Cumberland and Mechanicsburg are large employers.

I have friends who work at New Cumberland and Mechanicsburg.  Good jobs with great schedules.  As a retired veteran you would have the inside track and I believe that you would start with 20 years service.   ie. max PTO.

View Quote

We've pretty much nailed it down to Carlisle now....has pretty much everything we want
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Beamy:
We've pretty much nailed it down to Carlisle now....has pretty much everything we want
View Quote
Carlisle
About an hour from me.
I'm trying to remember how well the Carlisle Barracks PX's and such are.
Wondering if a Retired ID card will reduce the entrance examinations or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top