Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2017 6:31:49 PM EDT
I've been looking at retirement in Wyoming. I spend each year elk hunting in CO, and love it as a vacation spot. Wyoming has more appeal to me as a hunter with a bird dog. My wife is not sold on Wyoming at all, but I want to GTFO of the shithole known as NY, take my state pension, and actually enjoy ourselves. Any ideas on areas where we can bring our horses and buy a little patch of land? Right now we have a farm on 550 acres, and am looking to downsize significantly. My wife is tired of the winters here in the Adirondacks, but loves the lakes and the ocean (Long Island - where she grew up), so what tactics can I use to convince her?? I am hating it here. Thanks, and FUAC.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#1]
We've all seen your scenario play out time and and again. IF you can talk your wife into moving here, come in June.  Enjoy your year in Wyoming as much as you can....your wife certainly will not, and you'll be packing your things up the following May.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#2]
If she's not fan of N.Y. winter, she won't like WY winter either. Doesn't take WY off my short list.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#3]
You might consider parts of Fremont County: Dubois, Pavilion, Lander area.
Much of that country is in the rain shadow of the Wind River Mountains and is drier, not as much snow. Lots of folks here winter their horses around Pavilion. Can be windy, not as much as east and south. You can have a garden around Lander.
I used to live near Lander. Compared to where I live now it was sunnier, warmer, with chinook winds periodically during the winter.
Very different than an Adirondack winter. I spent years skiing and climbing in the winter up there. Cold, grey and damp.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. How about the Bighorns?
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#5]
The front range of Colorado may be a better option for you.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We've all seen your scenario play out time and and again. IF you can talk your wife into moving here, come in June.  Enjoy your year in Wyoming as much as you can....your wife certainly will not, and you'll be packing your things up the following May.
View Quote
That's not a wife. THIS is a wife:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks. How about the Bighorns?
View Quote
Cold and snowy.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 1:49:53 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
Agreed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top