Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2020 7:02:24 PM EDT

Anybody here into Drones in Florida....we have a DIJ Mavic Air 2 and do not want to end up on the wrong side of a pissed off cop or citizen for flying it.

We are heading to Daytona beach & going to work our way down to NAS Key West for a week & looking for Florida laws and restrictions on flying small drones. Know we can't fly them on the NAS and in/around airports, but want to fly them on the beaches, around US 1 on the way to the keys, in the Everglades and such.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Anybody here into Drones in Florida....we have a DIJ Mavic Air 2 and do not want to end up on the wrong side of a pissed off cop or citizen for flying it.

We are heading to Daytona beach & going to work our way down to NAS Key West for a week & looking for Florida laws and restrictions on flying small drones. Know we can't fly them on the NAS and in/around airports, but want to fly them on the beaches, around US 1 on the way to the keys, in the Everglades and such.

View Quote

My son who is into drones like you wouldn't believe says... under 249.9 grams total weight and no real restrictions other than the obvious - secure areas, near airports, private areas, etc.

That said, being legal won't stop a Karen or a nosy cop w/ an attitude....

And as far as air ports go, check maps.  You wouldn't believe where there is a registered helipad, water landing, grass field, etc.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My son who is into drones like you wouldn't believe says... under 249.9 grams total weight and no real restrictions other than the obvious - secure areas, near airports, private areas, etc.

That said, being legal won't stop a Karen or a nosy cop w/ an attitude....

And as far as air ports go, check maps.  You wouldn't believe where there is a registered helipad, water landing, grass field, etc.
View Quote

Thanks, just checked and the Air 2 is 570 g

Any recommendation on maps that list them??
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks, just checked and the Air 2 is 570 g

Any recommendation on maps that list them??
View Quote

Download the app airmap, it's free and will show you any no fly/restricted zones.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#4]
If you haven't already, you might want to read this about registration of drones, then here about recreational drone use.

I know a guy that got in a crack after some folks called cops about him flying his drone in a park. One of the cops knew about the registration requirement (which I personally think is bullshit) and got the Feds involved.

Other than that, it seems each county and city has their own rules as well, which can't stand due to the exclusionary nature of airspace, but like they say, you'll beat the rap, but not the ride.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Mavic Mini (just under 250g, FAA not today) and haven't had any issues flying it occasionally around local parks and beaches. Most people either don't notice or are briefly amused and then stop caring, but I try not to loiter and I usually just keep enough distance and altitude to stay out of sight and out of mind. Karen can't call the cops on your drone if she doesn't even know it's there!
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Check airspaces.  You might be in a delta or charlie and not even know it.

ETA: I don’t know of specific restrictions, I can only advise you be careful about where you fly it.  Southeast FL, for example, is insane as far as airspace and if there are restrictions for drone usage you may want to avoid it.

I am not an expert in this, just saying.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#7]
The Southeast corner of the state is dense with controlled airspace.  There are places to fly, but you need to watch yourself.  National Parks are a no-go.  This means The Everglades and (nearly all of) Biscayne Bay are off limits.

Generally speaking, DJI has some built-in features to help you stay legal.  Someone else may be able to chime in with the particulars about that.

References:

Airspace charts:
Skyvector

FAA Regs:
FAA Drone Zone   (you are flying under the exception for recreational flyers)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top