Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2021 7:10:58 PM EDT
Holy smokes this stuff is expensive
I'm putting up a 30' x 40' metal shop on my property, seeing if any arfcomers here in East TX (Jacksonville) sold or constructed steel buildings.
So far i've got a price for about 25k installed from one place and 21.5k not installed from another outfit.
These prices are with the slab already poured so things are getting more spendy than i'm happy with.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the same sized barn. I just got a quote for spray foam. I thought it was nuts. 5000 and 7000
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the same sized barn. I just got a quote for spray foam. I thought it was nuts. 5000 and 7000
View Quote

I think some guys are tryin to retire of these things, 5-7k is an absolutely crazy number
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Building materials have gone through the roof in the last 6-8 months so your timing to build you project is way off.  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Building materials have gone through the roof in the last 6-8 months so your timing to build you project is way off.  Good Luck!
View Quote

Yeah the timing sucks but that can't be helped. I know a year ago this would have been 30% less which really pains me
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Steel and building materials market is crazy right now.

Might be worth it to talk "cash" with them and see what their right now price is and lock it in that day.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Might be worth it to talk "cash" with them and see what their right now price is and lock it in that day.
View Quote

Just about everybody is booked out for the next 6-8 months.  Reputable contractors are NOT locking in any prices due to the frequency of material increases.  In fact some are even "cancelling contracts for convenience" when that wording is in place.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cash is king, i'll give it a shot. Might work with one of the smaller companies I got a quote from.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just about everybody is booked out for the next 6-8 months.  Reputable contractors are NOT locking in any prices due to the frequency of material increases.  In fact some are even "cancelling contracts for convenience" when that wording is in place.
View Quote

Two semi-local companies make their own panels from steel rolls and have a good stock of I-beam steel. They are saying about a month or two for delivery and install.
Do you think I can get a better price from a local shop builder that buys bulk materials and cut and welds on-site?
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#9]
OP,,,We're getting ready to sell our place. We have a 2400 sq. ft. building with four roll up doors (one is electric), four man doors and a 1600 sq. ft. "overhang" open area attached. I'm plugging $120K as the value and not looking back. Concrete our here ( I'm 100 miles east of you) is crazy expensive. Building is eleven years old and in good condition.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 8:32:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Building material estimates are only good for 1 week from my material suppliers I use.

I bought 2300lf of 6" pipe and within a day it went up from $7.78lf to $9.24.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP,,,We're getting ready to sell our place. We have a 2400 sq. ft. building with four roll up doors (one is electric), four man doors and a 1600 sq. ft. "overhang" open area attached. I'm plugging $120K as the value and not looking back. Concrete our here ( I'm 100 miles east of you) is crazy expensive. Building is eleven years old and in good condition.
View Quote

Thats a lot of steel
My concrete guy was telling me about the rising prices and I'm just gonna have to pucker up and get it done, if he ever gets caught up enough to fit me in to his schedule
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Building material estimates are only good for 1 week from my material suppliers I use.

I bought 2300lf of 6" pipe and within a day it went up from $7.78lf to $9.24.
View Quote

Yep, I'm having to give customers updated estimates if they drag their feet more than a week or two on a job at this point. Then I have to throw in the a-hole tax for making me do extra office work
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top