Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2022 7:02:27 PM EDT
So I'm trying to find the name of a restaurant I went to in the mid 80s(1985 or 1986) as a kid. I was old enough to really remember it, but not the name or where it even was.

Unfortunately the only person left alive who would know is my mom and she remembered the place but not where or the name as we were visiting my uncle.

What I remember:
It was on a road or high way up on a hill.

At the time it wasn't heavily populated around the area.

It was an old building. Maybe a gas station?

It was a roadhouse type place with the music and regional type decorations that are popular in places now like Texas Roadhouse and such.

It wasn't very big and had a gravel drive way and parking lot.

There was neon involved.

Does this sound familiar?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Texas Tumbleweed up on 2222?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I had forgotten about Texas Tumbleweed- good guess.  
A few others come to mind - County Line on the Hill, the original Oasis, and maybe Springhill Cafe in Pflugerville.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Not Spring Hill in Pflugerville...  that's still there...  But PVille, and most of the east side of IH35 is flat.  Definitely not up on a hill, let alone a high one.  Previous guesses seem pretty good, especially Tumbleweed.  I've only seen pictures of the place and remember seeing the billboard for it for years, as it closed before I moved to the Pflugerville area 20 years ago.

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried finding pics of Tumbleweed. I'm not overly familiar with the area. I'll try to find pics of it and see. Earlier I did a Google search of 1980s Austin restaurants. I'm guessing this was going to be a well known place since we were visiting from out of town, my uncle would've brought us to the more well known/popular places in Austin. Anyway, the front of Threadgill's looked how I think I remember it, but the area not so much. Maybe I'm confusing places, I dunno.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Threadgill's?

Too bad it closed.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had forgotten about Texas Tumbleweed- good guess.  
A few others come to mind - County Line on the Hill, the original Oasis, and maybe Springhill Cafe in Pflugerville.
View Quote

County Line on the Hill was my first thought.  I remember when it felt like it was out in the sticks, as well as looking out from the patio and not seeing any development.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Poodies out in Spicewood?

County Line I'm assuming was in the sticks in the 80's
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#8]
This was certainly Texas Tumbleweed on 2222.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#9]
The old Texas Tumbleweed was located a couple hundred yards from RR 2222 and River Place Blvd.   It's entrance was demolished when they widened the road about 15 years ago but the site should still be visible on Google Earth. The building is gone but I think the foundation is still there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Poodies out in Spicewood?

County Line I'm assuming was in the sticks in the 80's
View Quote

County Line was my first thought.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Soap Creek Saloon?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Skyline Club?
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:06:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This was certainly Texas Tumbleweed on 2222.
View Quote
Looking at the area on Google Earth, I think you're right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top