Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2021 7:28:33 PM EDT
Currently rockin a Savage 110BA in .308 that I really like (the one I brought to MOA shoot).......but it's ridiculously heavy.

Looking for a Long Range Precision .308 that I can mount some high quality glass on with the ability to clip on NV/Thermal.

Right now I am considering something from:

https://masterpiecearms.com/

....based on a recommendation received from a LR Competitive Shooter I met/chatted with.

However, I wanted to get some insights from the knowledgeable folks in the GHTF

Was hoping @SuperJLarge or @CMShoot might be willing to chime in, along with anyone else (Besides @SouthernCross.....I've seen you shoot)
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm pretty good at staying out of that particular lane.
View Quote

How did I know you were going to be the first comment......
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#3]
MPA puts out a good build, and I’m a fan of their chassis (have 3, hope to have 1-2 more).

For the money though…..I’d get a chassis/stock of your choice and an action that can take a prefit barrel and call it good. If you don’t have the tools to do it yourself, I could assist, or you can order from Altus shooting solutions and they can ship the action and barrel assembled/installed.

Actions I’d consider: Bighorn Origin, Defiance tenacity (I think they take prefits) or Defiance Ruckus or Impact 737 if you’re willing to drop 1300$ on an action.

Triggers: Timney Calvin elite or TriggerTech (I prefer the Diamond pro)

I normally spin my own barrels, but I bought several cases of Prime 6 creed that had a large case mouth that wasn’t compatible with my match chamber. Since I didn’t want to take a loss, I ordered a Proof prefit that has a SAMMI chamber. It shoots decent with factory stuff and the handloads I tried this past weekend.

Good luck

Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
(Besides @SouthernCross.....I've seen you shoot)
View Quote

Brutal
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
MPA puts out a good build, and I’m a fan of their chassis (have 3, hope to have 1-2 more).

For the money though…..I’d get a chassis/stock of your choice and an action that can take a prefit barrel and call it good. If you don’t have the tools to do it yourself, I could assist, or you can order from Altus shooting solutions and they can ship the action and barrel assembled/installed.

Actions I’d consider: Bighorn Origin, Defiance tenacity (I think they take prefits) or Defiance Ruckus or Impact 737 if you’re willing to drop 1300$ on an action.

Triggers: Timney Calvin elite or TriggerTech (I prefer the Diamond pro)

I normally spin my own barrels, but I bought several cases of Prime 6 creed that had a large case mouth that wasn’t compatible with my match chamber. Since I didn’t want to take a loss, I ordered a Proof prefit that has a SAMMI chamber. It shoots decent with factory stuff and the handloads I tried this past weekend.

Good luck

https://i.imgur.com/iKcGlWG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BTXM5LW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AwFl99U.jpg
View Quote

Great feedback, I appreciate you chiming in..... What would you say is the benefit of using their chassis, with a different action/barrel?  Is it just more cost effective?

Link Posted: 6/10/2021 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How did I know you were going to be the first comment......
View Quote

He's still new to admin here. So he's trolling constantly.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#8]
SuperJ said Calvin elite trigger. That's a nasty lil trigger. I love it. If I take my bolt gun and others to a range. I have to shoot the bolt first. Cause I'll finger fuck that trigger after shooting heavier ones. Lil never fails. I'll be on the rifle working my breathing n boom. ??
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 12:21:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Great feedback, I appreciate you chiming in..... What would you say is the benefit of using their chassis, with a different action/barrel?  Is it just more cost effective?

View Quote

It can be cost effective, but the biggest thing would be timing. My buddy had a complete build done that took around 5-6months. I could order the parts and have a build complete in under 2 weeks. The one thing you lose with the prefit option is customization (barrel length, chamber selection, special twist rate, fluting, etc…). And, I’m not sure that all prefits will shoot lights out, but I would expect 0.5-0.75moa to be easily achievable. A hand fitted barrel should be able to achieve under half moa by a competent smith with a good barrel blank. For example, the proof prefit shoots the Prime into 0.4-0.7moa pretty consistently. The Bartlein that I chambered would shoot that same ammo into 0.3-0.5 moa.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm new to precision shooting. I recently purchased a RPR in 308 with a Vortex Viper PST G2 based mostly on the reviews on marineapproved.com. Seems like the RPR puts precision shooting at a reasonable price point. I've only been shooting with it twice, both at the Angry Emu. Looking forward to reaching out to 600-800 yards. Any leads on a utility line clearing on public land that I could stretch it out to more than 400 yards?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/26/2021 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm pretty good at staying out of that particular lane.
View Quote
Sheeeeeeiiiiiiiit @0627Devildog! Let me come over and give you some pointers. Like a laser, I am
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I love my MPA 6 CM.

The lead times right now are pretty long, but the ability to swap barrels when I burn one out with their pre-fits and them being a GA based company is what sold me on them.

I zeroed and shot a 5 shot group that was all on a torn in half target paster last week.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I love my MPA 6 CM.

The lead times right now are pretty long, but the ability to swap barrels when I burn one out with their pre-fits and them being a GA based company is what sold me on them.

I zeroed and shot a 5 shot group that was all on a torn in half target paster last week.
View Quote

Make sure you put around 1700rds through that barrel before MOA#7….you know, to properly break it in .

MPA chassis were well represented in the top 3 results for MOA#6.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You mean a dazzler?
View Quote
That hit right in the feels man...RIGHT in the feels!
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Make sure you put around 1700rds through that barrel before MOA#7.you know, to properly break it in .

MPA chassis were well represented in the top 3 results for MOA#6.
View Quote
Lol aught to stay under 5 MOA after that many rounds
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Right in the feels because you missed the target
View Quote
I'll show you all next time! I swear it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top