Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2020 9:55:51 AM EDT
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dianne-feinstein-3-senate-colleagues-sold-off-stocks-before-coronavirus-crash-reports

She denies any wrong doing.

Loeffler was appointed to the Senate in December by Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp after incumbent Sen. Johnny Isakson resigned because of health issues – despite allies of President Trump having urged Kemp to select Rep. Doug Collins instead.

Loeffler and her husband, Jeffrey Sprecher, chairman of the New York Stock Exchange, sold stock Jan. 24, the same day she sat in on a briefing from two members of Trump’s Coronavirus Task Force, The Daily Beast reported.

Between that day and Feb. 14, the couple sold stock worth a total between $1.2 million and $3.1 million, the report said. In addition to the sales, they also purchased stock in a maker of software that helps people work at home – just before millions of Americans were forced to leave their offices because of the outbreak, the report said.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#1]
She can deny it all she wants, but anyone with half a brain can connect the dots.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#2]
looks dirty, but is it insider trading?

what information was available in general on that date to the public? i would expect that info to not be as detailed as the info she got, but was that news about a pandemic in china a 'secret'.

there have been warnings about pandemics coming out of china for a long time. seems to me if you realized this and got wind of one spreading in china, thats all you would need to make a decision to sell stocks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#3]
She is married the the CEO of intercontintal exchange, which owns the New York Stock Exchange among other exchanges.  If she did not use insider info when making these trades, it would amaze me.  Check out her WIKI.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#4]
She is in it for herself, just like every other politician.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#5]
To bad she has no say in her investments....

She,a we'll as her husband, has a third party do her investments.

Most politicians do.

It's called a blind trust for a reason
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Kemp fucked up by picking her, he should have gone with Doug Collins

It wouldn't surprise me one bit that the seat she is currently in will go Democrat in November
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
That neck

Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Most politicians do.

View Quote

I sure hope that you were being sarcastic.  Though it didn't seem like it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#9]
She seemed to have so much promise for the state of Georgia.

However she is not an innocent in this case .   Ignorance of the Law is no excuse .

And she knows the Law .

gd
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I sure hope that you were being sarcastic.  Though it didn't seem like it.
View Quote

100% serious.

Literally the definition of a blind trust
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#11]
immoral or illegal?

if i had millions tied up in the market and I knew it was going to tank and I wasn’t breaking any laws by doing so, I know exactly what i’d do.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
immoral or illegal?

if i had millions tied up in the market and I knew it was going to tank and I wasn’t breaking any laws by doing so, I know exactly what i’d do.
View Quote

Speak out and inform your constituents? That's what you would do? Right?

You surely wouldn't mitigate any obvious potential losses from your secret briefing, and you surely wouldnt go even further invest in stocks in a sector you knew would have gains.

The spineless Georgia GOP better get her resignation or they're no better than the polished grifters on the other side. We'll see if these cowards can muster an ounce of integrity.

I'm not hopeful.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#13]
The market was maxed out for a few months and did seem like many were pulling back at market highs before the collapse.  The better your fund advisor and manager the more swiftly they moved - It would be difficult to prove that it was not simply because of market indications even if it was deliberate.

I foolishly paused and should have re-tweaked my portfolio but now I am stuck to ride it out (go broke)
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

It is, but where are you getting that she and her husband had their stocks in a blind trust?  She can't be absolved of insider trading simply because blind trusts exist -- she'd have to actually be using one.

EDIT:  Apparently, she has her investments in one and claims to have not informed the trust managers of what she'd learned:  https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sen-loeffler-denies-any-role-in-stock-sales-as-coronavirus-crisis-worsened-2020-03-20
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Speak out and inform your constituents? That's what you would do? Right?

View Quote

How does a 90 second phone call to your broker prevent the above? Everyone knew whuflu was coming. Unless her 'secret' briefing was conducted by a time traveler it probably only scared her into a panic and prompted the sell off.

Link Posted: 3/22/2020 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It is, but where are you getting that she and her husband had their stocks in a blind trust?  She can't be absolved of insider trading simply because blind trusts exist -- she'd have to actually be using one.

EDIT:  Apparently, she has her investments in one and claims to have not informed the trust managers of what she'd learned:  https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sen-loeffler-denies-any-role-in-stock-sales-as-coronavirus-crisis-worsened-2020-03-20
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

All politicians do.. Or should. Money mangers are also required by most institutions they work for.

So did her husband.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not her biggest fan. But I'm also defending Pelosi. She was also one of the many.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#17]
So I guess it is safe to say the managers probably did the same for any other trust they might manage.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So I guess it is safe to say the managers probably did the same for any other trust they might manage.
View Quote

The market was down like 3% that day. There was lots of selling.

But the trusts will have to turn over those documents in the Senate investigation.

I'd like to see an SEC investigation. There will be one for her husband, those happen all the time.

Something else that want reported right. Her stocks were sold, and separately his stocks bought cisco (big in telecommuting solutions). But they are completely separate from each other. Both of them use different trusts and they have their own money.  The news we making it soundlike " they" sold everything, then immediately turned around and both Cisco together.

Also ironic the news is only focusing on her and not Nancy
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Most politicians do.

View Quote
That is a hell of a coincidence and 4 senators all had the same coincidence to make it even more coincidence. She is full of poop and guilty.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

what information was available in general on that date to the public? i would expect that info to not be as detailed as the info she got, but was that news about a pandemic in china a 'secret'.

there have been warnings about pandemics coming out of china for a long time. seems to me if you realized this and got wind of one spreading in china, thats all you would need to make a decision to sell stocks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From the WHO's own situation report on January 24th (the date which is claimed Loeffler used "insider trading" and apparently directed her blind trust to sell stock)

New epidemiological information reinforces the evidence that the 2019-nCoV can be transmitted from one individual to another. During previous outbreaks due to other coronavirus (Middle-East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)), human to
human transmission occurred through droplets, contact and fomites, suggesting that the transmission mode of the 2019-nCoV can be similar

(Let it be known this was just after China lied and claimed it was only animal to human)

WHO assesses the risk of this event to be very high in China, high at the regional level and high at the global level

It is expected that further international exportation of cases may appear in any country. Thus, all countries should be prepared for containment, including active surveillance, early detection, isolation and case management, contact tracing and prevention of onward spread of 2019-nCoV infection, and to share full data with WHO. Countries should place particular emphasis on reducing human infection, prevention of secondary transmission and international spread and contributing to the international response though multi-sectoral communication and collaboration and active participation in increasing knowledge on the virus and the disease, as well as advancing research.

Quoted:

That is a hell of a coincidence and 4 senators all had the same coincidence to make it even more coincidence. She is full of poop and guilty.

Loeffler has tried to prove her blind trust operates independently of her . . . she's posted a screen shot of the actions the hedge fund took and why they did, none of which are linked to her.

Inhofe claims he doesn't even own stock . . . seems like someone open sourced some transactions and just put it out there without digging into the potential reasons why.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

The market had stated going down days before. If her trust didn't act she would have fired them. That's their job. To look for inflections and sell once that curve bends.

Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

100% serious.

View Quote

As if they don’t communicate?  You can put whatever you want in a blind trust and then call the fucker who manages it and tell them to sell.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#23]
This issue came up under Obama or GW, the Senate declared themselves exempted from insider trading laws because of the nature of their jobs.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This issue came up under Obama or GW, the Senate declared themselves exempted from insider trading laws because of the nature of their jobs.
View Quote
This is the answer. Even if they did it the senate exempted themselves from laws that apply to peons. We really have a ruling class here in America
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have this reversed. It used to be allowed, it was banned by the STOCK act in 2012.

STOCK Act
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As if they don’t communicate?  You can put whatever you want in a blind trust and then call the fucker who manages it and tell them to sell.
View Quote

Sorry bud, but the point of a BLIND trust is to remove conflicts of interest. Why would you even setup a BLIND trust if you were just going to micromanage them?

A blind trust is a type of living trust in which the grantor and beneficiary have no control over or knowledge of the assets in the trust or how they’re being managed. A third-party trustee, who can be an individual or an institution, has full control of the trust assets and does not communicate with the grantor or beneficiary about what is being bought and sold within the trust. A blind trust can be revocable, meaning the grantor can change it later, or irrevocable, meaning it can’t be modified or terminated.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Sorry bud, but the point of a BLIND trust is to remove conflicts of interest. Why would you even setup a BLIND trust if you were just going to micromanage them?

A blind trust is a type of living trust in which the grantor and beneficiary have no control over or knowledge of the assets in the trust or how they’re being managed. A third-party trustee, who can be an individual or an institution, has full control of the trust assets and does not communicate with the grantor or beneficiary about what is being bought and sold within the trust. A blind trust can be revocable, meaning the grantor can change it later, or irrevocable, meaning it can’t be modified or terminated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know what the fuck a blind trust is. If you believe they don’t use their positions for advantage or insider trading you’re either high or too incompetent to understand the workings of people in political power.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#28]
So you're saying Loeffler went through the trouble to create a blind trust, micromanages it, and there's no way the hedge fund running it was reading the daily status updates from the WHO on covid-19?

Did I get that right?
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So you're saying Loeffler went through the trouble to create a blind trust, micromanages it, and there's no way the hedge fund running it was reading the daily status updates from the WHO on covid-19?

Did I get that right?
View Quote
I don't think $3 million is micro managing. Is she doing the day by day trades no. Does she have insider information of an approaching shitshow then yes.  The combination of what was sold and bought sure presents a hell of a coincidence. She happened to pick a work from home software company to invest in.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't think $3 million is micro managing. Is she doing the day by day trades no. Does she have insider information of an approaching shitshow then yes.  The combination of what was sold and bought sure presents a hell of a coincidence. She happened to pick a work from home software company to invest in.
View Quote

Insider information . . . LOL.

I JUST posted the WHO report that came out before Loeffler supposedly got "insider information".

The WHO was 4 days deep into giving daily status updates on Covid-19 by January 24th.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:50:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm voting for Doug Collins, my representative who is running against her.

Doug has been a solid performer for several years, I hadn't heard of her until recently and she strikes me as "connected money" who got the appointment because she was influential. She's a bit liberal for my tastes as well, strikes me as a RINO however, I'm a Tea Partier so the bar is high.

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Republican senator Kelly Loeffler admits to millions MORE in stock sales after coronavirus briefing including ditching shares in retailers and buying into company that makes protective equipment as Justice Department launches Senate probe

Georgia Republican Sen. Kelly Loeffler traded millions in stocks in the days after a closed Senate briefing on the coronavirus – and dumped holdings in retail stores that have been battered by the pandemic.

The wealthy Loeffler, who was appointed to her seat and is married to the president of the New York Stock Exchange, sold $18.7 million in International Stock Exchange, according to information her office shared with the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

That is the company that owns the New York Stock Exchange. The trades came Feb. 26 and March 11, as the virus spread but the broader public was still learning about the extent of the danger to both people and the world economy.

The power couple also sold shares in Lululemon and T.J. Maxx, two firms that, like other retailers, have been battered by stay-at-home orders by governors seeking to contain the spread of the deadly disease. They also sold $70,000 in Ross Stores. They sold about $28,000 in the company that owns T.J. Maxx.

Sprecher also purchased more than $200,000 of stock in in chemical company DuPont de Nemours, which makes protective gear for medical professionals, although the company has been hit overall in the downturn.

Their stock sales totaled $1.4 million in March, according to the Wall Street Journal.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Fuck her.  I thought that was a screwed up decision by Kemp to appoint her!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I thought that was a screwed up decision by Kemp to appoint her!!
View Quote

I agree.  This is 100% on Gov Kemp too.  I was a supporter of Gov Kemp and like many of his grass roots supporters, begged him to not appoint this establishment swamp creature.  
I'm voting for Collins and I'll be donating money to any credible R to primary Kemp in 2022.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Essentially she is admitting she has control over her funds (being managed by someone else of course) but says she wasn't involved with any trading of said stocks?  While both can be true, the optics of it are horrible, and there's really no way to prove she didn't either provide information to the fund management or direct the trades herself.  PR wise, I think she would have been better off sticking to the "it's a blind trust I have no control over" angle than changing the narrative at this point.

My question would be is it a true blind trust or not?  What she is saying makes me think it is not.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#37]
She needs to go ahead and "retire" or whatever you do after being appointed to serve out a term.  Collins will be our next Senator and I'm very happy about that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:43:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By oversteer:
PR wise, I think she would have been better off sticking to the "it's a blind trust I have no control over" angle than changing the narrative at this point.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By oversteer:
PR wise, I think she would have been better off sticking to the "it's a blind trust I have no control over" angle than changing the narrative at this point.

She's now going to run campaign ads trying to explain what happened.

Republican Sen. Kelly Loeffler of Georgia is launching a $4 million statewide ad campaign that seeks to rebut criticism of stock transactions she made amid the coronavirus pandemic, as she faces stiff competition in a November special election.

Loeffler’s campaign announced new television, radio and digital ad buys Monday, with three ads set to launch across Georgia on Tuesday. One is titled “Untrue” and takes aim at the scrutiny Loeffler faced in recent months over transactions made just before the virus outbreak sent markets tumbling.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#39]
She is going to double down on her bet. It goes to show how much she wants to be in the senate.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#40]
No way I will ever vote for her.  Collins is my choice
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top