Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2021 9:28:21 AM EDT
What’s up dudes. Haven’t posted in HTF in a bit, hope everyone’s still alive in kicking over here.

With all the craziness going on and tech platforms being censored I think still having the ability to connect to local contacts is huge.

What’s the best option for local comms? Vetted Groups? On or off social media? Bat signal? Only fans?

Watcha got?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe using the Signal App?  Sorry, I'm not familiar with it but I've seen it suggested elsewhere.

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Let me know if you figure something out brother.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice try Fedboi!

j/k - you have my #, unless they take down cell towers.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen zello used by members during hurricanes. Don't know much about it though
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice try Fedboi!

j/k - you have my #, unless they take down cell towers.
View Quote

Yeah the nudies I send you don’t count
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Maybe using the Signal App?  Sorry, I'm not familiar with it but I've seen it suggested elsewhere.

View Quote

A few friends and I use signal now.  It’s basically like Apple iMessage format. The only downside is you actually have to use your real phone number
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

A few friends and I use signal now.  It’s basically like Apple iMessage format. The only downside is you actually have to use your real phone number
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@akcory762

Let me know what you decide, you still have my number right?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#8]
The discord backup has a new England section....I guess we're lumped in with them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 6:09:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@akcory762

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@akcory762

I’m not sure if I do in my new phone. If you have mine text me if not PM me
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. Meet people in your area in person, vet each other, and then create a signal group. I know you all have a lot of shit going on these days, but make time. everything else (baofengs, etc) is the cherry on top. Assume all comms are not secure, (signal is about as good as it gets, but it still isn't perfect) be smart about what you say, don't attract unwanted attention to yourselves.

Make 2 groups, one for emergency comms, and one for sending memes and bullshitting
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#11]
With what happened yesterday I think it's a pretty good idea to somehow be able to communicate outside of here. Not sure it would be put together though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been trying to gather friends in my area to meet and form a plan. Most of them are late to the party, but getting them up to speed I think won't be too hard. I've got a few boafeng radios, i also think some of the cobra type radios that have like a 30 mile range are also good to have. Been getting people to get the signal app, and only use it for secure comms. If anyone is in the southern part of NY, 1-2 hours from NYC shoot me a PM.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Once you are using an App for comms., you are at the mercy of the owner as to what they will allow or disallow on the App!

Baofeng's are acceptable but you are limited in range until you get on repeaters, which anyone can monitor.

Just my .02 cents.

Bill
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#14]
A friend and I have been using Threema, which I believe uses the same signal encryption scheme.  A few people have my number, I don't mind if they give it out to others here.  I have an iPotato, so at least when using iMassager there is end to end encryption, and as far as we know, crapple doesn't keep the messages once they're delivered.  That may have changed at any time, tho.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#15]
As far as out-of-network comms.  There is a statewide RACES net that happens on 3993.5KHz every Sunday morning.  But, having some VHF/UHF capable mobile radios, with some decent antennas is a good idea.  For field use, I have a dual band J-pole mounted to a stage light stand which gets it up about 8' and then the antenna on top of that.  Works fairly well, and is light and quick to deploy.  Connect it to a 50W mobile rig, and you can get some decent distance, way better than an HT.  I also have a Yaesu FT-897 with some wire antennas and coax that I can sling up in a tree.

But, seriously, if you don't have your ticket yet, go here and start studying:  https://hamstudy.org/

And, maybe even think about supporting them by buying some antennas:  https://signalstuff.com/

If you at least get a Technician class license, you'll be able to use 50MHz on up, with some bands below that in the HF spectrum.  Just like a firearm, if you don't train with it, at least to the point of knowing WHAT to do, it's going to be a fairly useless tool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top