Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2018 2:08:06 PM EDT
It has been my understanding that a loaded and concealed handgun in a vehicle is legal with a pistol permit. Since the new "constitutional carry" law, is a pistol permit not required to keep a loaded handgun in a vehicle?

Also, what about AR pistols? SBRs? Shockwave/Tac14? I have read unofficially that anything with a barrel less than 16" is considered a handgun in NH which would imply that it was legal to keep loaded in a vehicle. But I haven't been able to confirm this.

Can anyone point me to official information? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think anyone knows for sure regarding the whole SBRs in cars thing.

No permit required now for loaded handguns in cars.

For sure no long guns loaded in cars (I think this includes OHRVs and boats)
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:49:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, so let me start by saying that I'm not a lawyer and I make no claims that I know what I'm talking about, I'm an average dumbass. The RSA's are all linked in the threads tacked at the top of the forum.

When it comes to NH RSA's and questions like this it's important to read "definitions" that are often in the start of each chapter as they set the guidelines for each RSA (and questions about them).

That I can find (important disclaimer) under RSA 159:1 definitions of pistol/revolver is "159:1 Definition. – Pistol or revolver, as used herein, means any firearm with barrel less than 16 inches in length."

NH fun and games RSA 207:7 covers having a loaded rifle or shotgun in a loaded vehicle but if you look at the definitions in that chapter rifle and shotgun aren't defined, they only define a "firearm" which would include handguns and even starter pistols (specifically mentioned in the definitions).

So IMO since rifles and shotguns aren't defined by statue (that I'm able to quickly find), the much more clear definition given by RSA 159:1 would apply. If you go by this definition any short barreled rifle or short barreled shotgun would be considered by law a handgun.

If anyone has any other information to add please do. I've been thinking about getting a shockwave (you hear that Cookiemonster?) and I've thought about the legalities for carrying/transporting it as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top