Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2021 3:52:50 PM EDT
Hey everyone,

The lady and I are making a move out of the city soon, preferably to the Cumming area. It's about as far as we can go and still be close enough to our offices for when we need to commute again. It's also closer to the mountains so that's exciting.

Anyone currently live in Cumming? Parts to avoid? New up and coming areas? We're having kids soon so looking for conservative, family friendly, good neighbors.

Also, if anyone has the scoop on homes (3+ bed) that are about to be on the market, any leads would be appreciated :) the market is crazy right now...

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#1]
How far north in Forsyth are you willing to move?
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey everyone,

The lady and I are making a move out of the city soon, preferably to the Cumming area. It's about as far as we can go and still be close enough to our offices for when we need to commute again. It's also closer to the mountains so that's exciting.

Anyone currently live in Cumming? Parts to avoid? New up and coming areas? We're having kids soon so looking for conservative, family friendly, good neighbors.

Also, if anyone has the scoop on homes (3+ bed) that are about to be on the market, any leads would be appreciated :) the market is crazy right now...

View Quote

We're up in North Forsyth and love it.  Sent you a PM as well in case you need help looking for a home.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How far north in Forsyth are you willing to move?
View Quote
Looking in this area
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The upcoming road construction at 369 and 400 is going to make northbound afternoon rush hour a nightmare.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the heads up! I assume that means we should look south of that since we'll need to use 400?
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I would stay north Forsyth and deal with the traffic volume heading south. North and South Forsyth are a different world, think country folk vs I need to charge my Tesla and don’t speak English or look up from my phone
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 6:14:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We're up in North Forsyth and love it.  Sent you a PM as well in case you need help looking for a home.
View Quote

North Forsyth here as well but it's probably 10 years away from becoming unlivable like most parts of the metro. Dawson Co isn't that much farther but it depends on how far you'll be commuting. Understand the traffic and growth in/around Cumming sucks.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#8]
All replies and tips are great.  I'll add mine.  We used to have a small property on the lake, exit 16 and 17, sold it 9 years ago to a multi millionaire couple.  They demolished the old shack and built a mansion in its place.

On the occasions that I had to drive in to ATL to work, 400 was horrible.  If you don't leave before 6:30am, you're screwed.  Traffic doesn't semi clear until 10:30.  Afternoon northbound isn't great either.  Head north by 4pm or wait until after 7pm.  Traffic on GA20 isn't great either.  Stay out of downtown Cumming.  Exit 16 east of GA400 has some good neighborhood gems if you go almost until the end of Pilgrim Mill rd.  Anywhere from $300K to a million.

But once you're up there it's a different world, peace and quite.  We still have friends and relatives in the circle you showed on your map.  

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The upcoming road construction at 369 and 400 is going to make northbound afternoon rush hour a nightmare.
View Quote

Correct, I rarely go that way now and it’s just kicking off so yes, for years that’s going to be painful. There’s an alternate further out West that’s easier than 400 however those will be overwhelmed.

OP, we need the reinforcement to maintain the good of living here but it does come at a cost. Main thing I hate about Cumming is they’re always building strip malls and chain shit with zero planning for traffic or growth. They area building a green space/community shopping/services development which promises to be unique for the area. I’m dubious as developers are in love with nail salons, shitty restaurants and Barber shops.

Ball Ground, GA is an example of a small traditional Southern town with some pre-planning and concern to maintain heritage and livability. They have some very unique dining, shopping and hang out spots. Cumming is much larger but the haphazardly built “city square” jammed into Hwy 9/Hwy 20 exemplifies the planning around here.

Don’t get me wrong, Cumming has a lot going for it (mainly the people are country and conservative.) The county has one of the most active Libertarian membership so the ‘culture’ is one of traditional America but that’s changing quickly.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#10]
We looked at the northeast corridor and decided to go northwest corridor instead. We live in Canton near Waleska. They are putting in a huge increase in electrical infrastructure and only reason for that = more homes, more apartments, more traffic. The whole area north of Atlanta is exploding. Unfortunately, living in Atlanta is all about the commute.

We are planning our escape now - not sure where.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We looked at the northeast corridor and decided to go northwest corridor instead. We live in Canton near Waleska. They are putting in a huge increase in electrical infrastructure and only reason for that = more homes, more apartments, more traffic. The whole area north of Atlanta is exploding. Unfortunately, living in Atlanta is all about the commute.

We are planning our escape now - not sure where.
View Quote

About 10 yrs for us but yeah, have no idea where. Atlanta has too many damn people and many don’t see things politically the same. Matter of time...
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#12]
We landed in Cumming when we moved from PA 6 years ago. 3 years of renting and learned where NOT  to be... so we moved 10 miles further North.

I drive further now to work, but it takes the same amount of time.
Cumming is gridlock EVERYWHERE once you jump off GA400.

We are just below the Rt53 dividing line between Dawson and Forsyth County. (still in Forsyth)

Theres a ton of construction going on in the area... so I expect we will relocate more North again in a few years to get away from all the people and traffic.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We landed in Cumming when we moved from PA 6 years ago. 3 years of renting and learned where NOT  to be... so we moved 10 miles further North.

We are just below the Rt53 dividing line between Dawson and Forsyth County. (still in Forsyth)

Theres a ton of construction going on in the area... so I expect we will relocate more North again in a few years to get away from all the people and traffic.
View Quote

And by North you mean GA/TN border right?

Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's a ton of construction going on in the area... so I expect we will relocate more North again in a few years to get away from all the people and traffic.

FIFY
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:28:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Matt or Silver City if anywhere in Forsyth Co.

Better yet is Young Harris, but that is a drive :)
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I live in Cumming, off exit 13 in South Forsyth.  i have seen some of the negative talk about "speaking english" and whatnot.    Yes, there are a lot of technology workers in South Forsyth and a large Indian population, but that has it's advantages.   Our schools are top rated in the state, and we have lots of great restaurants and places to hang out like Halcyon, the Collection, etc.   It really depends on what you prefer to get out of place that you live.   I have about 12-13 parks within a 15 minute drive of there, easy access to Alpharetta, and close to all grocery stores, shopping, etc.  

Regardless of where you want to live in Forsyth, we have the best Sheriff's department, and very low crime rate compared to neighboring counties.    I would highly recommend exit 13 and 14, but I know it isn't for anyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top