Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2021 9:49:10 PM EDT
I've never been before.
I have a friend that wants to meet there Friday for lunch. What time do I/we need to show up? I'm really dreading waiting but it's for a good friend.

Also
What what other good BBQ places are there? Caldwell is my favorite place but I've not tried many. The "chain" places like dickys and Tom's are good but dont have that wow factor I can't duplicate at home.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never been to Lil Miss, but I've heard you have to be there early, like 10-ish

My favorite is Famous Dave's, it is a large chain, 2 I go to are in chandler mall & near bass pro. I've used them to cater shooting matches and club meetings, I've gone to the ones in other cities when I find one, best ribs and sausage of any BBQ place and their cornbread is the best food made out of corn since humans first cultivated maize 5000 years ago.

Tom's I think is now a chain of just 2 (baseline & Mill and McKellips near falcon field) and it was started by a guy named Tom here in AZ. Good brisket.

Rudy's (Chandler & I-10) is not nearly as good as the rest of the chain in TX, when I used to get biz trips to Austin, I'd go straight from the airport to Rudy's and get a pound of brisket and some white bread... the one in AZ just isn't as good, I guess its because it not in a gas station like the TX ones are.

Honey Bear's is another AZ place, so famous I heard about it 30 years ago before moving here, I think the original one is near 202 & 52nd street  I didn't like it that much. More like the wet saucy BBQ. and I've heard there's another Honey Bear's in PHX  but I don't know where.

there is another small BBQ place down that way some where if I think of it, I'll report back, and there's one in Mesa or Gilbert with a tractor in front we went to for lunch a few times I don't remember and didn't like it enough to want to go back.

oh there's Naked BBQ at Shea & 90th across from the hospital, so much like Dickey's I couldn't say which I was in if I didin't see the sign.

enjoy your dinner!

Poole

20 years ago there was a chain called El Paso BBQ that I really liked, they've been gone for a long time now.....
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 12:59:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Little Miss isn’t that bad currently in terms of a wait.

Are you going to Tempe or Sunnyslope?
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Every "real Texan" gets snooty about Rudys, but I have eaten at their Chandler store many times and always had great barbeque and great service.

FYI there is now a Rudys on the West side of PHX near the exit where Cabelas(whatever the name is this week) is/was.

I am happy they are building one in Tucson.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never been to Lil Miss, but I've heard you have to be there early, like 10-ish

My favorite is Famous Dave's, it is a large chain, 2 I go to are in chandler mall & near bass pro. I've used them to cater shooting matches and club meetings, I've gone to the ones in other cities when I find one, best ribs and sausage of any BBQ place and their cornbread is the best food made out of corn since humans first cultivated maize 5000 years ago.

Tom's I think is now a chain of just 2 (baseline & Mill and McKellips near falcon field) and it was started by a guy named Tom here in AZ. Good brisket.

Rudy's (Chandler & I-10) is not nearly as good as the rest of the chain in TX, when I used to get biz trips to Austin, I'd go straight from the airport to Rudy's and get a pound of brisket and some white bread... the one in AZ just isn't as good, I guess its because it not in a gas station like the TX ones are.

Honey Bear's is another AZ place, so famous I heard about it 30 years ago before moving here, I think the original one is near 202 & 52nd street  I didn't like it that much. More like the wet saucy BBQ. and I've heard there's another Honey Bear's in PHX  but I don't know where.

there is another small BBQ place down that way some where if I think of it, I'll report back, and there's one in Mesa or Gilbert with a tractor in front we went to for lunch a few times I don't remember and didn't like it enough to want to go back.

oh there's Naked BBQ at Shea & 90th across from the hospital, so much like Dickey's I couldn't say which I was in if I didin't see the sign.

enjoy your dinner!

Poole

20 years ago there was a chain called El Paso BBQ that I really liked, they've been gone for a long time now.....
View Quote

Thanks that's a lot of good info. I forgot about Rudy's down in Chandler, been a few times. I do want to try honey bear, I've heard a lot about. I see a lot of small places on my side of town, just haven't.

There's also Jalapeño Buck's by me which is good, but not what Im searching for in traditional bbq

I'm planning on the university little miss.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#5]
oh, after typing this  I remembered there is Lucille's BBQ west of 101 across from Bass Pro in that mall like thing there.... so memorable I forgot about it.....

I'll have to try   Jalapeño Buck's
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I've always enjoyed Joe's Real BBQ in Old Town Gilbert.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 11:23:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Joe's Real BBQ, Yeah! that's the one with the tractor. Went there for lunch with the guys from work a few times.... didn't like it as much as F' Dave's or Tom's....

Hap's Pitt BBQ, not far from the older Honey Bear's is the other one I couldn't remember the name of in yesterday's post.

there's a lot of places I don't know about or forgot about that I just stumbled upon looking at google maps

pork on a fork near deer valley a/p, went there once

Shane's just north of there off I-17, went there once too

https://trapphausbbq.com/ this one I have to try.....

Bobby Q's visible from I-17 in mid phoenix, never been there..... another one shows up nearby called Bro Bro's....

OP should rename this thread as "the official AZ HTF BBQ thread"

Poole
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 11:39:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Love Caldwell and Little Miss. (TX Style)

Eric's family bbq (west side) (TX Style)
Bobby Q (best jack of all trades bbq imho)
American Way Market (pulled pork is their thing)
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#9]
There are no really good bbq places in Phoenix.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#10]
LMB is some of the best BBQ in the US.

If going to their original location, be prepared for a wait. If going to Sunnyslope, then just show up.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Silver King smokehouse in Superior is delicious. Prob the best outside a metro area.

Bobby Q is delicious, but more of a smokehouse than a BBQ. Good place for a nice meal.

Caldwells is good, but not LMB good…. Still go since it’s close to home though.

Rudy’s is best chain bbq, but just good… Not GOOD.

Lucilles is not  that great, barely better than famous daves IMO.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Lil Miss is pretty good. I love their Pastrami which they do once a week.

I've wanted to try JL Smokehouse over in the ghetto.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've always enjoyed Joe's Real BBQ in Old Town Gilbert.
View Quote

Joe's is awesome.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top